Last Post / Sunset

Discussion in 'History' started by hammockhead, Oct 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A quick question I couldn't find any reference to in the BR. Are the Last Post and Sunset tunes that you should always salute regardless of what's going on, like the National Anthem?

Or does one only salute because of what's going on, i.e. the present arms before the two-minutes silence, or the colours coming down? In other words, if you heard it as a member of the audience at a concert like the Edinburgh Military Tattoo, with no silence and no flags, do you salute?

2. If you were taking part in the ceremony you would salute, ie Sunset. But if you were in the vicinity you would just face the main mast/ or face aft on a ship and come to attention.(If you werent quick enough to duck into the nearest grot!!)

3. Last post and the two minutes silence is a non salute situation.

Colours and Sunset ceremony is a face in the direction of the White Ensign
    and salute .
    Usually 'still' piped then the 'carry on ' when the ensign is hoisted fully [or lowered at sunset.] If you aren't wearing a hat then as above -no salute!

As a member of the audience at ceremonial sunset -- no participation required.

:nemo: :nemo:

4. Here you go, have a practice at your saluting:

H.M. Royal Marines CinC Fleet - Evening Hymn and Sunset

I bet that takes a few of you back eh - big ships, arse end, peeing down with rain - I was so glad when they invented them gramaphone things.

Maybe I should have put it in the Newbies forum.

5. Cheers for that NMC - still makes the hairs stand up on the back of the neck!
    Can't beat the Booties band (though many have tried)

6. Thanks for that hammockhead....makes me proud to be British .....cracking humdinger of a video :thumright: :thumright:

7. In all the shore bases that I served in, the pipe was always "Colours / Evening Colours, face the mainmast and salute"

Though there was a time that the term 'Sunset' was used.

:)

8. Thank you indeed HH . What a magnificent display by the Royals . To have once been part of the UK services was certainly a privilige . Had some difficulty at one stage , for some reason my eyes became watery , bit of dust probably.

:thumright:

9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

My recollection from a million years ago is that it was 'Sunset' except when the real sunset was after 2100.

10. What a cracking video. It's a shame that we have lost such a superb tattoo.

So often this countries most popular events have been wrongly axed to save a few pennies, great shame.

I think that dust storm must have blown this way hobbit and my breakfast egg got a bit stuck in the back of my throat.

The services are about the only thing we have left to be proud of Alan.

11. Damn, that brings a lump to the throat!
    I remember quite a few great band concerts in the tank deck of Fearless over the years. You cannot beat the band of HM Royal Marines!!

12. Great to hear the RM band again. It really does make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. Many fond memories: marching to them on divisions and mast-manning, especially clearing the mast to the Can-Can! (see photo in gallery of only ever flood-lit one on November 5th 1968, I'm at the end of the lower starboard yardarm) Being a bunting, had to do the Ensign many times to this music at special and social occasions, cocktail parties for example. Most nerve-wracking was on the Bull's Nose in Tamar on Trafalgar Day 1973 or 4. Having to wear 6's under floodlights, and under threat of death, or worse, from the CCY if I didn't time the lowering of the Ensign precisely to the end of Sunset by the band. Now I've spun a few dits I'd better do some work! Swing that lantern...sorry for that nostalgia trip guys.

13. I have Sunset as my text message alert , love it , have loads of others as well , Defaulters , Alert , Mail Call , Stand Easy , Officers Call , Last Post etc , brilliant all of them , cant beat them .

14. Your more than welcome to the nostalgia trip Mate , happy memories indeed

15. LOL - Sunset as a text alert would never work for me - I'd be jumping up and down all the time, pulling imaginary halyards and saluting!

16. I stand corrected,memory fades like the mists of time Im afraid!!

17. Just thinking of what that Pongo General of ours said about the troops who return from Iraq and Afghanistan get no recognition.

Surely the Royal Tournament would be the ideal welcome home for our troops etc and also a great showpiece for this brave people and also a chance for this Nation to show all those rag heads etc how a little island like us wont be intimidated by anyone.
    Also would be a great Careers Recruitment Showpiece.

Someone should start a Petition to Downing street about this.

Any Volunteers ??

18. Thanks for posting those, as stated by others still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and proud to have served
    Cant beat the Band of HM Royal Marines

19. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Should be used when actual sunset occurs on or before 2100, otherwise it is Evening Colours

Cheers