Last minute medical

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jd345, Dec 7, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Has anyone experience of having a medical 1 month/a very short time before start date?

I was all set to join this January - everything signed and sent off - but since then have been told I need another medical at the last minute. Explanation being it has been such a length of time since my first medical that, despite having had a follow up medical earlier this year, I need full medical again.

AFCO hasn't been able to tell me any more details beyond it being a "full" medical, not a quick review. I'm to have another eye test and have the medical questionnaire to fill out again. I'd like to know if anyone has been through this and can offer more information on what the process is at this stage? Specific questions:

Will the doctor have received all the information from my previous medicals?
    Will they require information from my GP again?
    Will they re-investigate answers from my medical questionnaire from the first time round?
    Will any test results I've had back since my first medical have an 'expiry date?'

I've not been able to get answers for these from the AFCO, but if anyone has something anecdotal it'd be a great help weighing potential outcomes of this. I'm now within the 30 days notice I need to give for my current employer and my tenancy agreement, both things I'd rather not have to gamble on the outcome of this.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Are you an Officer entrant perchance?

Reason being that BRNC have declared the medical is only valid 12 months. For everyone else it remains valid unless the individual's medical status changes or the individual is over age 30.

If joining as a rating, the only other explanation would be if Raleigh have received your med docs and identified an issue that needs further clarification prior to entry.
  3. Officer. My main concern is that I've been delayed by the medical stage before, if the same thing happens tomorrow then it hits the start date.

I don't know if the doctor will have any information about my previous round of medicals, test results, or the purpose of this medical. I'm concerned all the doctor will have is letter saying "Full medical on candidate X on X date" and nothing more, in which case they may end up going through the motions of getting info from GP, following up on anything in the questionnaire, wait another month. AFCO has not been able to answer this, and I have a low confidence that any information of previous medicals will be available to them.

Since it's so close to potential start date I'm trying to find out if anyone else has been in the same position. Having handed in my notice, I've since had to speak to my supervisor to postpone my resignation until the outcome of this medical is known. Likewise with tenancy. I've a huge amount riding on something at very short notice and would prefer not to go in blind.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

One would imagine that all issues already resolved will only be reviewed to check for recurrence rather than start from scratch. Likewise although it's a full medical as long as all your bits and bobs are where they should be and functioning the same as last time, then there's nowt to worry about - it's changes in medical status that would be the issue.
  5. Many thanks for the information
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Just to reassure, your original medical examination notes will have been forwarded to the relevant medical examiner.
  7. The medical was straightforward. Ninja was correct, and to answer my own questions:
    • The doctor had all my previous medical information, and took time to read through it all and understand the purpose of this medical.
    • Information from my GP was not and will not be required as I have not had any doctor visits since last medical.
    • Previously investigated and cleared issues were not re-examined fully, though test results were looked over.
    • Test results were looked over but seemed still valid.
    • Medical took the same pattern of first medical.
    • Wasn't given a yes/no in writing - results are now going back to AFCO - but the doctor verbally told me what to expect.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I'm being sent off for another medical January time, although I'm joining as a rating. When I mentioned the validity until the age of 30 the AFCO said that the 12 month validity was now for everyone in the application process.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

It always has been the case but a directive was issued in November 2014 stating that due to lack of availability, the AFCO medical examination would remain valid for those under age 30 unless the individual's medical status changed prior to entry.

The rules are still in place but only BRNC is calling a different far.