Last Minute Dilemma

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Helios, Oct 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right now I'm in the middle of packing my bag, making sure I have everything ready for Raleigh this Sunday. Problem is I'm going in as an AET and although I do realise that life as an AET would be a great career and that I would enjoy it I do often wonder whether I'd actually like to be an ET(MESM) instead.

Now I know, as has been pointed out by Ninja Stoker many times, that once you're in you may not transfer, however, after reading a post by saltaschal I've come to understand that it is possible, if improbable, that I can jump ships. As saltaschal pointed out, and as pointed out by my careers advisor, if you look unlikely to pass AET training, whilst training, they might ask you to switch branch rather than discharge you, possibly to ET(MESM).

I thinking if I point out my desire to be a ET(MESM) rather than an AET whilst at Raleigh (I'm assuming they interview you and have one on one talks at some point) would it be possible to change branches or am I stuck with AET (which as I've pointed out is till a great career). If someone who intended to be an ET(MESM) drops out or fails training at any point, I’m thinking I might be in with a chance, depending on the needs of the navy of course.

Thoughts please.

(Edit: Just thought, if anyone knows the career and promotion differences between the two branches I'd love to hear them. This isn't really something I've discussed in depth with my careers advisor so I'm a little in the dark.)
  2. As already pointed out, ET(MESM) is still a pretty demanding course in the long term, doing badly on AET training is likely to mean that you would be seen as a high risk for MESM training anyway.

I think it's natural to have concerns about whether one has chosen the most apropriate branch, but if you'd gone MESM would you now be wondering about AET?

Life is full of choices, sometimes you make the right ones, sometimes you make the wrong ones. The skill is in looking back at the ones you've made and recognising each and learning from them.
  3. Completely agree with you Karma in regards to making choices and wondering if those we made are they right ones. I do really think that I might be better suited as a MESM though, and that my wondering is not just down to last minute nerves.

I agree also with someone doing badly during AET training be unlikely to do well during MESM training, which makes it strange that they offer the latter option for people who do bad in the first. However, this is kinf of a problem for me because I think I'll actually do very well in AET training and thus be unlikely to be offered any other jobs.
  4. As an ME I can safely say that you are better off going AET :)

Oh, and its "Garr!" not "Yar!" ;)
  5. I think you really need to seriously reflect on why you think that then and make your decision, you cannot plan on the emergence of an opportunity to branch change, as Ninja Stoker has highlighted in a number of threads.

I'll make a personal observation that changing your mind now may not reflect well should you opt to re-apply for MESM. At this short notice you would probably prevent another candidate from entering the training pipeline in your place, should you choose to withdraw.
  6. There is no way I'm going to withdraw. If it's impossible for me to change to MESM at anytime during training then I'd still be happy training as an AET. I'm dead set on wanting to do a technical trade in the Royal Navy, I'd prefer MESM but also feel happy and privileged to do AET. It's not a make or break decision for me.

Monkeys can't pronounce the letter G, fool! ;)
  7. You will spend less time onboard a ship but the same amount of time actually practising your trade, with none of the rubbish that goes with being a stoker. AET is, honestly, a better choice.
  8. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Helios, I think you are worrying about it because of the uncertainty, in all honesty you can no more guess your suitability for AET as MESM. Other than the operating environment the jobs hold more similarities than you'd expect, much of the kit we work on is similar. In that respect failure as an AET will result in either transfer to a non technical branch or more likely discharge!

With regards to operating environments it's either camping in sandstorms or camping in a steel tube, I wouldn't like to say which is better but they are probably more similar than you would think........................ pssst don't tell the fish-heads, they will get all big headed and claim to be as good as WAFU's which they obviously aren't.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I shall desist saying what I would truly feel like saying, there is only so many times you can tell people something before you get fed up, however it would be somewhat remiss of you to withdraw your application at this late stage as you will waste a training place for someone wishing to join as an AET.

Should you decide upon joining that you do not wish to be an AET, then you are free to leave & re-apply as an ET(MESM), however, if you rejoin, having submitted notice to leave (Premature Voluntary Release -PVR) if you rejoin, you would no longer have that right & would need to complete Phase 1 & 2 training, complete ET(MESM) taskbook training & complete 2.5 years return of service before you could submit 12 months notice to leave a second time around.

If you submit PVR, you may have a Caveat attached which prevents you re-joining for up to 12 months, plus the waiting time to re-apply for your former service certificates, etc.

Anyway, good luck with AET training.
  10. stick with AET!!! You don't even know what it's like yet. You may love it! but then again if you don't like it jjust PVR it! then come back! You're going in exactly a week before me! I'm going on the 4th November as a ET(WESM) - Maybe they will actually let you transfer because my careers person in the AFCO said they are desperate for Submariners. Of course Ninja will know better than me obviously. But maybe it'll be ok.
  11. I know how you feel mate. I liked the description of WS, but when I received my psych test scores, they recommend ME and it got me thinking. But when it comes down to it, you chose your initial job after quite a lot of research I'm assuming, and you chose that particular role for a reason.

I'd stick with it.
  12. Depends on what you want to see when you fukc up. Helos and harrier crashes are spectacular and easier to see than subs sinking.

Although there is always the possibility of a nuclear detonation on a sub.

Either way, have a good quality video cam handy and £250 is yours on 'You've Been Framed'.
  13. Oh really !?!?
  14. Make sure you go in from the off for the trade you think you'd be most suited to.

I was persuaded by the Careers Office to go in as a Tiff when I wanted to join as a Survey Recorder. I ended up leaving and often look back on it and wish I'd just stuck to my guns as I think I would have enjoyed that trade.
  15. I joined up as what was then an AEM. This was the wrong decision for me, and i PVR'd. My Cheif commented once i had signed my PVR form and said he thought i was far to qualified for the post, and he couldnt do anything to put me on tiffs course. Consequently it was my own fault for not waiting 6 months at the time to resit my aptitude test and get a higher grade.

I got recommended to re-enter and am now pursuing a degree and want to join back as an AEO. Question is, is there any complications with this as i PVR'd in the first place, about 4 years ago now.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hiya Mike, welcome to RR if you haven't already been welcomed!

There's usually no problem re-joining after submitting PVR. Sometimes a caveat is attached, stating you may not re-join withing a year or two, but not as much as 4 years.

If you were re-joining as a Rating, you would no longer have the right to PVR & would have to complete all training plus 2.5 years return of service before you could submit 12 months notice to leave. As you intend joining as an Officer, it's an entirely different contract anyway.

Good luck with the degree!
  17. Thanks for the welcome Ninja.

I left the Navy for the reason that i wanted to pursue my qualifications in civvy street, being a hell of alot quicker to gain.

Just hoping i can get onto DTUS and get in the University squadron asap.