Last 50+

WD,

Now you are inviting #7 from the Maintainer's phrase book (abridged version).

"Yes Sir, now please return to the Wardroom and I'll call you directly it's fixed."

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
I know I know but once a techie geek always a techie geek, there is huge part of me that always wants to get stuck back in; oh for the days of fiddling with UNIX, SANs, W2K3, NT4.0, Exchange and then seeing my FOS(IS) striding towards me and taking my gerber off me and handing me the rubiks cube instead, and asking me if I'd please let others have a play..........Thats when I knew it was all over ;-(

Bad CO

Admin
You have to have been on the same AIS course as me, there can't be too Pongo's who do this? Sadly he that was on my course is no longer with us.
I think I know who you mean but clearly not me! Anyway I did the DIS course which was clearly far superior....... (Discuss!)

Anyway, I am guessing you a running an instance (or possibly more) of MySQL; how about creating another instance or even just a new table (with three row, "post", "link",posn) within an existing one and as a post is added, write that to a "Last 50 table", with a link to the real post in which ever table its really stored. Use posn to keep track down to 50 then rewrite from top of the table at 50. Then this creates your Last50 and you don't have to index/search the entire Db.
Mate, you have no idea of the complexity of this thing! Why not download vbulletin and have a play yourself to see what I mean

BOTW - am doubling away now!

wave_dodger

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think I know who you mean but clearly not me! Anyway I did the DIS course which was clearly far superior....... (Discuss!)
ROFL......So superior you're geeking it now. Actually I wanted to do DIS because by quals/experience I had effectively done AIS and was bored silly by it, but the vagaries of Naval appointing meant my best mate on DIS and I couldn't swap even though we were both desperate, and my appointer just said "why the stress, I'm giving you a free MSc!".

I'm thinking DAG from KOBR, who jumped to the bleeps. Good mate, real shame.

Bad CO said:
Mate, you have no idea of the complexity of this thing! Why not download vbulletin and have a play yourself to see what I mean
My suggestion was largely tongue in cheek, I do appreciate how these things roll. Not played with this and seem to have precious little spare time these days at home (you know all about how our wives appreciate that). I really am wide awake and bored, fighting the temptation to download it.........

Waspie

War Hero
Sorry to report but NO it's still the same. In fact another anomily has thrown itself up.

If you now select the shevrons for go to the last post from the home page. It goes to the last post!! But none of the previous posts are visible.

Methinks a larger hammer may have to be employed to repair/fix or otherwise bang some sense into the +'s and -'s!!!!!!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Latest posts still doesn't go to the last post that you have read when you click on the button

Last 50 as per Waspies post

Bad CO

Admin
Quite a few issues here!

"Last 50" still not working for me, I'm afraid.
Agreed - not sure why as we thought this was cracked

If you now select the shevrons for go to the last post from the home page. It goes to the last post!! But none of the previous posts are visible.
Can't you just scroll up to see them? If not then, I'd really appreciate a screen shot of this problem as I cannot replicate it!

Latest posts still doesn't go to the last post that you have read when you click on the button
I'm not sure which 'latest posts' button you mean. We have 'last post' or 'first new post' in a thread - do you mean one of those?

Methinks a larger hammer may have to be employed to repair/fix or otherwise bang some sense into the +'s and -'s!!!!!!
If only it were that easy ....... :(

Waspie

War Hero

Can't you just scroll up to see them? If not then, I'd really appreciate a screen shot of this problem as I cannot replicate it!
Bad CO
Fraid I can't replicate it either. (Plus, I haven't a scoobie on how to take a screen shot with a Mac - that will be this afternoons job), I couldn't scroll up! I have the know how!!!! But unfortunately last night, it would only show the last post. None of the previous posts were present.

As for the bigger hammer theory, it's always worth a try.

The site is workable, it's simply not working as it did or perhaps should. I for one do not envy you the task of trying to get it back as it was. Years back I did a network administrators course at Shrivenham. I can only say it was like having a lobotomy, then taking an egg whisk to the old brain and then stitching the top of the skull back on!!!! The theory was fine but in practice! Nightmare.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Nope, still Opdef'd!! Click on last 50, ignore last 20 that comes up, with page boxes too, so click on last 50 again and there you go, sorted! But why?

Good CO

Admin
This is really tricky because I can't make it happen. When you get the wrong page, could you copy, paste then post here the URL from the address bar at the top of your browser please. Where it says www.navy...........

Drakey

War Hero
I get last 50+, alternated by Latest Posts, after each click of the 50+ button. Happy with that as it gives you two different options.

Waspie

War Hero
Sorry to be a bubble burster, but!!!!

Ummmmmm - Nope, still goes to 'search' page and not 'last 50'.

On a good note, when you submit a post, it does go now to the post and not to the top of the page as before.

Getting there!!