Last 50+

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by witsend, Apr 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Before the site update when I clicked on the last 50+ tab it brought up the last 50.

Since the change its been very hit and miss when I click the Last 50 tab. Sometimes it shows a message "no topics to show" or something, can't quite remember the wording. At other times it only shows 1, 4 or 10 topics, or might not show topics which I have just posted on 2 minutes before.
  2. Me too! When I click on 'Last 50' it gives me 20, not always the last 20 - click again and it's the last 50.

I hate computers me.
  3. When I click on last 50 it always takes me to the search screen without fail, I have to refresh and then it's OK. If I go back a page it's fine but that doesn't work if you've made a post.
  4. Only shows 36.
  5. Welcome back - and BTW Wits,

Your hallowed 'LaaLaa etc' thread has also failed to go 'tits up' in your absence.

See to it, theres a good fellow, what?
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Yep, me as well. Doesn't show topics I've posted on. Random last 20 ish.... sometimes updates, sometimes goes backwards. Bit like a friendly mong, always there but not.
  7. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Since the changes I have to scroll down to the latest post in each thread, pressing the tit for latest post rarely works
  8. Now perhaps you'll understand why I had that recent 'echo', Janner.

That previous/other post on the self-same item was nowhere to be seen at the time, honest Guv.
  9. Perhaps it's marineist, only affects Submarines and Royal Marines!!!
  10. And me. Also last fifty comes up as Gallery.
    And there's me thinking I'd broke my puter. Now I find it's them there CO's.
    I swear we need a naughty step in here.
  11. And I thought it was just me being a spacker.
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Another bump, still doesn't normally go to the last post read when you press the tit.
  13. Concur with all the above. Screen with Error message 5-6 times before a refresh clears that up.
    Gallery don't want to show itself. Last 50 - same as all the above. I type
    in my address bar and immediately end up on a sight on which an assortment of Eastern European
    women are having sex with a herd of wild donkeys. Most distressing. Might I suggest a bricklayers
    re-boot? It all seems to have gone a little Pete Tong.

14. Sorry, just seen this. The recent disruption has been due to problems with our servers which for quite a long time have been operating at max capacity. In an attempt to overcome this we've been trying to overcome this without spending too much cash!

Anyway we think that we're now there so hopefully these problems will now be a thing of the past. Pse let me know if I'm wrong ....
  15. No change.

Select Last 50 and goes to 'search'. Have to re-select Last 50 to actually go there.

16. Snap..........
  17. Noting that the usual suspects seem to be much less usual than they usually are:

The Train Set owners/operators may wish to consider whether this continuing 50+ problem has contributed to the recent low levels of activity at RR.
  18. Ah ok, I've just realised what the problem is. Well I actually think it is a perceived problem but at least I understand it now.

Some background!

The site search, of which Last50 is just one very intensive example, is probably the single thing that creates the most load on our servers. As the site has got larger we've tried loads of ways to overcome this and make sure the thing works properly.

One of the techniques was to break the search server off and write an ultra light script to solely deal with creating the last 50 page. Unfortunately this creates other issues as it isn't part of the core software so everytime we upgrade the backend (security, performance, etc) it means quite a lot of work. As these upgrades happen quite regularly (1 per month), you can understand why we would like to retire the current last 50 page - if we can overcome the performance issues.

The good news is that we now think we've managed this which is why we're trying to migrate onto the standard search ('First Last50 link"). As well as reducing the pain of upgrades I also happen to think that is actually a better page but I know this isn't shared by everyone & there have been plenty of discussions on ARRSE on the subject!

In due course, we hope to migrate RR across to the same format as ARRSE and once this happens you should end up with the same search page as on there. In the interim though we should have a standard Last50 on here so I'll try and get it sorted on here.

Hope that makes sense!
  19. To quote #22 from the Wardroom Phrase Book:

"Very good, just see to it."
  20. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

You have to have been on the same AIS course as me, there can't be too Pongo's who do this? Sadly he that was on my course is no longer with us.

Anyway, I am guessing you a running an instance (or possibly more) of MySQL; how about creating another instance or even just a new table (with three row, "post", "link",posn) within an existing one and as a post is added, write that to a "Last 50 table", with a link to the real post in which ever table its really stored. Use posn to keep track down to 50 then rewrite from top of the table at 50. Then this creates your Last50 and you don't have to index/search the entire Db.

Then again, you've probably written script to do this already....a guess...I'm bored...can't sleep.........might go and review need to tell me, I am off to boil my head and I shall take my rambling with me...:glasses9:
    Last edited: May 10, 2011