Laser eye surgery royal navy pilot

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MrILoveRoyalNavy, Aug 30, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it possible to become a royal navy fighter jet pilot if you undergo laser eye surgery ive seen the medical requirements but nothing that says that if you are able to become a pilot if you undergo laser eye surgery please help?

2. Try asking here http://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/forums/health-fitness.40/

3. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Yes it is. But be prepared to pay an awful lot to prove that you're able to do so - you'll need to have a specific eye test conducted by Professor John Barbur at City of London Hospital. The amount I paid was £250 way back in 2006/7, so I expect the price has gone up a lot more by this point.
    You'll also need copies of the entire surgery history if you're able to get hold of it.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Are you now a Royal Navy fast jet pilot?

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Are you female?

7. Nope. But I have had laser surgery and had to undertake the pilots eye assessment to prove that I could sit at a desk and type.

8. Ninja_Stoker

You are giving duff advice for potential aircrew.

9. Fair one, have they finally updated the conditions for entering the mob having had laser surgery? It took me five years to get in because of having had it, so can only go by my own experience.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Pilots have to be Visual Acuity standard 1 from the outset and as such, laser surgery wouldn't be a viable option.

The rules regarding laser surgery for other branches continues to evolve and is still complex, therefore best advised by the service entry medical cell just prior to surgery.

Current rules state that the pre-op prescription must be within the parameters for entry, the individual must be over age 22 at the time of surgery, inter-ocular implants are not accepted, proof of a stabilised state must be produced & the surgery must be undertaken 12 months or more prior to the medical, etc.

11. I can't speak for the RN but the RAF have recently relaxed the previous ban on laser eye surgery after having followed USAF experience for some years. However, we require a minimum of 2 years after the surgery before an individual can enter training to allow the eye to settle. If you're a graduate or already in your early twenties, that immediately puts you up against the age criteria as well.

Good luck!

Regards,
    MM

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

That probably makes a difference - the RN medical, undertaken prior to Flying aptitude requires aircrew to be VA1. The Initial Aviation Medical Examination taken afterwards, is conducted to the RAF standard.

It'll be interesting to see which way it goes for RN Aircrew. The parameters for laser eye surgery seem to be still evolving due to changes in the surgical procedures and statistical data gathered after the newer developments.

Hopefully one of our resident medical experts is able to illuminate further.