Laptop Theft - the utter brassneck of the MoD

Polto

War Hero
Some of the lads I know have received the same letters and so has someone I know on another forum.

What crosses my mind is this...

1. The letter seems to ask for more info to confirm your ID before they'll answer any questions.

Hmmm...let me think about that for a minute.

2. So, the laptop with the personal data and addresses has been stolen. Call me cynical but where did the sender of the letter get the address from? Huh? From some database on a laptop maybe...

Answers to both points one and two are...

Possible Phishing.

If I were to receive the letter (which I'm fairly certain I won't) I would shove it in a drawer and forget about it. If the MOD want something from me they can pay a visit...they know where I work and where I live evidently.

As has already been mentioned...there are some grammatical/punctuation errors in these letters....something ain't right. :tp:

ChickFunk

Midshipman
Re: mod said sorry!

Ditts, so did my welbeck-crab little brother

They also kept the army's details seperate!

Bit annoying when im back from my RNAC

millwall_star

Midshipman

dont worry your not the only one but i didnt even get a letter i had to call the mod my selfto find out so im havin tochange my passport jus to be safe im jus thankful my bank details aint on there

brendan498

War Hero

Same i never got a letter either so sad

millwall_star said:
dont worry your not the only one but i didnt even get a letter i had to call the mod my selfto find out so im havin tochange my passport jus to be safe im jus thankful my bank details aint on there

theGimpMK2

Lantern Swinger
got mine last week, sent to the old dears house. load of ballocks really, what further information would I need to discuss with them?

And why the feck would I disclose the "missing" bits of personal info as listed, as proof of my Identity

D

Deleted 493

Precisely on all counts, chaps. If it is the government wanting information, why send a letter to the victims? They must have copies of the data lost ... surely? I'm absolutely astounded at the sheer neckyness of the MoD on all aspects of this. It shows the distatseful corporate image of Whitehall et al. I don't hear too much coming from our lords and masters either ... and Navy News, that paragon of invective and critical thought, is strangely quiet on an issue which I would have though would have at least involved a whole page spread telling victims what to do and what the implications are. Surely with them being in 2SLs pocket, you'd imagine at least some obfuscation or spin on it. But nothing.

For the MoD to firstly lose your identity and then ask you to prove who you are seems to be skipping by everyone's sector here. It's like stealing someone's house keys and charging them a fee for their return. All concerned need to hang their heads in shame and come out from under the blanket, and at least stop fecking everyone about.

Levers

natg

Lantern Swinger

Is it a good idea to change passport then?
I have now had 2 letters saying the same thing, so someone else has now ****ed up and they can't even send the letters out properly.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

This topic moved from Newbies to Current Affairs to be merged with the "Laptop Theft - the utter brassneck of the MoD" thread.

(Unable to merge topics in dissimilar Forums otherwise).