Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laptop Theft - the utter brassneck of the MoD

Topaz

Lantern Swinger
Seaking93 said:
My youngest, has now received 3 identical letters this week on this matter from MOD, what is going on?

Im glad im not the only one reciving identical letters.
I still havent figured out why they sent one to some dude ive never heard of beofre lol

Squirrel

Lantern Swinger
got mine this week, and I joined in 1992!

edited to ask....anyone care to black-cat that b'stard !

Polto

War Hero
Some of the lads I know have received the same letters and so has someone I know on another forum.

What crosses my mind is this...

1. The letter seems to ask for more info to confirm your ID before they'll answer any questions.

Hmmm...let me think about that for a minute.

2. So, the laptop with the personal data and addresses has been stolen. Call me cynical but where did the sender of the letter get the address from? Huh? From some database on a laptop maybe...

Answers to both points one and two are...

Possible Phishing.

If I were to receive the letter (which I'm fairly certain I won't) I would shove it in a drawer and forget about it. If the MOD want something from me they can pay a visit...they know where I work and where I live evidently.

As has already been mentioned...there are some grammatical/punctuation errors in these letters....something ain't right. :tp:

ChickFunk

Midshipman
Re: mod said sorry!

Ditts, so did my welbeck-crab little brother

They also kept the army's details seperate!

Bit annoying when im back from my RNAC

millwall_star

Midshipman

dont worry your not the only one but i didnt even get a letter i had to call the mod my selfto find out so im havin tochange my passport jus to be safe im jus thankful my bank details aint on there

brendan498

War Hero

Same i never got a letter either so sad

millwall_star said:
dont worry your not the only one but i didnt even get a letter i had to call the mod my selfto find out so im havin tochange my passport jus to be safe im jus thankful my bank details aint on there

mike007

Midshipman

i got a letter, des brown is personally addressing the issue!!!! must be serious...

theGimpMK2

Lantern Swinger
got mine last week, sent to the old dears house. load of ballocks really, what further information would I need to discuss with them?

And why the feck would I disclose the "missing" bits of personal info as listed, as proof of my Identity

D

Deleted 493

Precisely on all counts, chaps. If it is the government wanting information, why send a letter to the victims? They must have copies of the data lost ... surely? I'm absolutely astounded at the sheer neckyness of the MoD on all aspects of this. It shows the distatseful corporate image of Whitehall et al. I don't hear too much coming from our lords and masters either ... and Navy News, that paragon of invective and critical thought, is strangely quiet on an issue which I would have though would have at least involved a whole page spread telling victims what to do and what the implications are. Surely with them being in 2SLs pocket, you'd imagine at least some obfuscation or spin on it. But nothing.

For the MoD to firstly lose your identity and then ask you to prove who you are seems to be skipping by everyone's sector here. It's like stealing someone's house keys and charging them a fee for their return. All concerned need to hang their heads in shame and come out from under the blanket, and at least stop fecking everyone about.

Levers

Got the bleeding letter. Why did one man have so many peoples details. I signed up miles from Birmingham.

natg

Lantern Swinger

Is it a good idea to change passport then?
I have now had 2 letters saying the same thing, so someone else has now ****ed up and they can't even send the letters out properly.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero

This topic moved from Newbies to Current Affairs to be merged with the "Laptop Theft - the utter brassneck of the MoD" thread.

(Unable to merge topics in dissimilar Forums otherwise).

natg

Lantern Swinger
I put my application through from Guernsey and they lost my details too. Are many people changing their passport? I'm not sure if i should or not?

fly_past

Lantern Swinger
natg said:
I put my application through from Guernsey and they lost my details too. Are many people changing their passport? I'm not sure if i should or not?

If it were me I would, and I'd make the MOD foot the bill for it too. Also I'd change my bank account No as well - again charging the MOD for my time, parking and fuel used too!

It does seem rich that you have to give over your details to "discuss it further" as a few of you have said - Whatever has happened to the GUy who lost the laptop? Has he been promoted yet?

-D32-

Midshipman
Like so many of you, i have just got my letter.
It was sent to a house i lived i 5 year ago and i have moved twice since.
The best thing about it is i live in married quarters, at least i am happy knowign someone has details about me that are all wrong.

the_matelot

War Hero
Let,

I'm going to go through the Unit Security Officer where I'm based but I'm on a course until next week so it's going to have to wait until then but I suggest you go through your nearest USO also. I'm also going to investigate legal options as well as I joined up through AFCO Belfast as I'm Southern Irish.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Need to use a DII laptop at home with Wi-Fi? Bloody Computers 33
A DII Laptop v BT Homehub 4 Bloody Computers 7
MaiBelle Laptop advice Bloody Computers 43
5 BRNC Laptop Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
M Can you take a laptop on a boat? The Gash Barge 27
howfen_lad Laptop advice please.... Bloody Computers 66
B pda/laptop Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
Passed-over_Loggie ADF man robbed of laptop by ladyboy The Quarterdeck 50
H Laptop Memory Compatibility Bloody Computers 5
popeye123 Toshiba Laptop Bloody Computers 41
witsend Laptop screen Bloody Computers 7
Chat_Noir Laptop Advice Please! Bloody Computers 18
NotmeChief Government admits to 200 more laptop thefts. Current Affairs 5
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey MOD LAPTOP HELPLINE & ADDRESS Current Affairs 0
pluto Laptop encryption Bloody Computers 7
GCYZ MOD Laptop Stolen-Oh F**K!!! Current Affairs 165
MoD_RSS Safer Streets Fund to tackle burglary and theft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary launches £25 million fund to prevent burglary and theft in crime hotspots MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Policing Minister chairs new taskforce to tackle vehicle theft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: The Veterans Advisory & Pension Committee North East embark upon moves to counter identity theft MoD News 0
fishhead Marine Landmine Theft Current Affairs 10
taffscrivs Damien Hirst Art Theft. Diamond Lil's 14
trelawney126 Theft from MOD Current Affairs 19
trelawney126 Green Light for Metal Theft Current Affairs 4
S Picasso art theft Current Affairs 29
TheAaronP Former Marine guilty for theft of Medals. Current Affairs 14
slim SHOPLIFTER HAD FEAR OF THEFT Diamond Lil's 1
S Dit Theft The Quarterdeck 5
N Theft of Image Diamond Lil's 13
trelawney126 Utter Depths of Depravity Current Affairs 10
2_deck_dash Complete and utter tat. Diamond Lil's 21
JamesH Utter Ownage -->NSFW Diamond Lil's 15