Laptop screen

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by witsend, Jan 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. Just before you buy it take a look on ebay for a broken laptop in the same model. You might be able to get a cheaper replacement part.

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

No chance of that, by now She knows that it was your fault. Wonder thing to be a teen not so good living with them :lol:

4. be aware you prob need torx bits (possibly security torx bits).

Best advice I can give is have ur working laptop next to you and on the internet.
    If you come to dunno how to unclip/release anything etc use google.

Also a definite neccesity is to have a deep tray, dish or bowl to put all the screws etc in. Nothin worse than finding a hole that should have a screw in it but having no screws left

5. Being a WE, my career has been based upon, when putting things back together again, "look at all the bits I've saved".

6. I'd also recommend some kind of anti-static device, be it an anti static wrist strap or something you can gound the components to. You don't want to do a great job on the screen only to find that you've messed up the memory with a static shock. A typical static shock you can feel is about 2,000 volts. It only takes 200 volts to destroy your CPU, so you won't even know you've done it. I usually touch the pipes under my sink before working on the computers.

Some computers also allow you to turn them off and still be grounded through your house's earth, and you can just touch the metal case, but this probably won't work on a laptop.

7. I have always believed in the old saying - Teenagers are God's way of making it easier for mothers when they leave home.

As a father of course I grew a bit tired of the horrible, noisy, smelly, ungrateful creatures when they were about 10 but my plea to the wife to stop feeding them because it only made them stronger fell on deaf ears!

Mine are now well into their 20s and still living at home - bugger!

Of course I blame Gordon Brown for making it too expensive for them to buy a place of their own but that's a different story ... and not really much to do with computers - except they spend half their life playing games on the damned things!

And another thing ....