Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laptop screen

AndyGrayland

Lantern Swinger
Just before you buy it take a look on ebay for a broken laptop in the same model. You might be able to get a cheaper replacement part.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
witsend said:
I'm hoping this will teach her a lesson to look after things.

No chance of that, by now She knows that it was your fault. Wonder thing to be a teen not so good living with them :lol:

gregsnell

Lantern Swinger
be aware you prob need torx bits (possibly security torx bits).

Best advice I can give is have ur working laptop next to you and on the internet.
If you come to dunno how to unclip/release anything etc use google.

Also a definite neccesity is to have a deep tray, dish or bowl to put all the screws etc in. Nothin worse than finding a hole that should have a screw in it but having no screws left

Jimmy_Green

War Hero
gregsnell said:
be aware you prob need torx bits (possibly security torx bits).

Best advice I can give is have ur working laptop next to you and on the internet.
If you come to dunno how to unclip/release anything etc use google.

Also a definite neccesity is to have a deep tray, dish or bowl to put all the screws etc in. Nothin worse than finding a hole that should have a screw in it but having no screws left

Being a WE, my career has been based upon, when putting things back together again, "look at all the bits I've saved".

AndyGrayland

Lantern Swinger
I'd also recommend some kind of anti-static device, be it an anti static wrist strap or something you can gound the components to. You don't want to do a great job on the screen only to find that you've messed up the memory with a static shock. A typical static shock you can feel is about 2,000 volts. It only takes 200 volts to destroy your CPU, so you won't even know you've done it. I usually touch the pipes under my sink before working on the computers.

Some computers also allow you to turn them off and still be grounded through your house's earth, and you can just touch the metal case, but this probably won't work on a laptop.

broadside

War Hero
I have always believed in the old saying - Teenagers are God's way of making it easier for mothers when they leave home.

As a father of course I grew a bit tired of the horrible, noisy, smelly, ungrateful creatures when they were about 10 but my plea to the wife to stop feeding them because it only made them stronger fell on deaf ears!

Mine are now well into their 20s and still living at home - bugger!

Of course I blame Gordon Brown for making it too expensive for them to buy a place of their own but that's a different story ... and not really much to do with computers - except they spend half their life playing games on the damned things!

And another thing ....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Need to use a DII laptop at home with Wi-Fi? Bloody Computers 33
A DII Laptop v BT Homehub 4 Bloody Computers 7
MaiBelle Laptop advice Bloody Computers 43
5 BRNC Laptop Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
M Can you take a laptop on a boat? The Gash Barge 27
howfen_lad Laptop advice please.... Bloody Computers 66
B pda/laptop Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
Passed-over_Loggie ADF man robbed of laptop by ladyboy The Quarterdeck 50
H Laptop Memory Compatibility Bloody Computers 5
popeye123 Toshiba Laptop Bloody Computers 41
Chat_Noir Laptop Advice Please! Bloody Computers 18
NotmeChief Government admits to 200 more laptop thefts. Current Affairs 5
D Laptop Theft - the utter brassneck of the MoD Current Affairs 46
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey MOD LAPTOP HELPLINE & ADDRESS Current Affairs 0
pluto Laptop encryption Bloody Computers 7
GCYZ MOD Laptop Stolen-Oh F**K!!! Current Affairs 165
MoD_RSS Sheffield’s River Sheaf screen gets £3m upgrade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Science Minister announces funding for cyber security and screen entertainment projects in Bristol MoD News 0
Tui Bird Grey or Black screen when downloading a video Bloody Computers 0
janner Large print on screen Bloody Computers 9
wet_blobby DQ's..... coming to a computer screen near you... :) Diamond Lil's 74
W To hit the big screen by Xmas... Diamond Lil's 0
F Press coverage of Murdoch et al a smoke screen? Current Affairs 4
soleil Navy News: "Big Screen Berets" The Corps 0
popeye123 I Phone Screen Bloody Computers 9
Sapphire My screen saver has gone..... The Quarterdeck 8
S Screen clean The Gash Barge 5
soleil Black Cats' Lynx suffers cracked screen The Fleet Air Arm 6
R Wibbly Wobbly Screen Bloody Computers 15

Latest Threads