Lapel Badge for former Bevin Boys

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Always_a_Civvy, Jun 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. If any RR'ers know anyone who was a Bevin Boy during WW2, they might be interested to learn that at last some sort of recognition has been made of their contribution to the war effort.

    I've placed this here as I am unsure if it would be unacceptable in Current Affairs.

    Lords Hansard: 20 June 2007, WS29-30.

    The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of Trade and Industry (Lord Truscott): Following the Prime Minister’s Statement on 24 January this year in relation to the recognition of the contribution made by the Bevin Boys who worked in the UK coalfields during and immediately after World War II, I would like to update the House on the recent developments.

    Members will be aware that the Bevin Boys scheme was introduced in 1943 by the then Minister for Labour and National Service, Ernest Bevin, in response to an increasing shortage of labour in the coal-mining industry. The scheme ran between 1943 and 1948 and involved recruiting men aged between 18 and 25 years to work in coal mines rather than serve in the Armed Forces. Some 48,000 men worked in the mines under the scheme.

    I am delighted to announce that the DTI is launching today a lapel badge in recognition of the contribution this group made to the war effort.

    Of the 48,000, some 43 per cent were conscripted directly into the mines and are known more generally as “balloteesâ€. The remaining 57 per cent were those who opted for mine work in preference to joining the Armed Forces or those who were in the Armed Forces and volunteered to become miners. Only those who fall into these categories will be eligible for the badge.

    The Bevin Boys Badge is a survivor’s badge and I would encourage Bevin Boy Veterans to wear it in public in order visibly to raise awareness of the important role they played during World War II and in the post-war reconstruction of the UK. Widows and estates will not eligible.

    The application process for the badge will be launched towards the end of the year, with a view to the first badge being awarded to coincide with the 60th anniversary of the demobilisation of the final Bevin Boys in March 2008.

    The DTI had worked closely with the Bevin Boys Association, which has expressed its extreme pleasure at the introduction, to ensure that the design of the badge suitably reflects the work they carried out. It is important that we never forget the sacrifices that were made both at home and abroad during the war, and this badge is a fitting way to remember the Bevin Boys’ work to keep the coalfields going.

    A copy of the badge design can be found on the department’s website at:
  2. ....and don't they deserve it.....worked for a year as a miner at 15 before joining Ganges in 1954. There are better ways of getting coal out of the ground!
  3. When I joined back end of 61, there were loads of ex-miners in basic training - most of the became chefs !!
  4. Update

    HC Hansard: 18 Oct 07, Col 1282W.

    Gordon Banks: To ask the Secretary of State for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform if he will make a statement on the progress to date of introducing the individual recognition scheme for the Bevin Boys.

    Malcolm Wicks: The application process for the Bevin Boys Veterans Badge was launched on 24 September and the first Badge will be awarded to coincide with the 60th anniversary of the demobilisation of the final Bevin Boys in March 2008. The Badge is available to all survivors who, either through compulsion or on a voluntary basis, worked in the mines under the Bevin Boys’ scheme rather than serving in the armed forces. The widows of eligible men who died on or after 20 June 2007, the date of introduction, are also eligible. To date, some 600 applications have been received.

Share This Page