Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lantern test

enquiringmind

Midshipman
Can any recruiters out there answer this one for me please?
My son has just been told that he has a red / green eyesight problem.
Will he be automatically referred for a lantern test or are there determining factors?
Many thanks.

KeepGoing

Midshipman
I had this problem too, I noted down that I had a red/green colour deficiency.

First at the doctors physical they did the usual Ishihara test (the dots arranged in a circle) which I failed (the doc said I was very colourblind :D), then when I went for my interview I first had to do the Trade Colour test (or whatever it was called) since I am going in as an ET(ME).

Basically it was a set of wires, with a matching pair on either side. Around 15 different wires, each with a different colour, and some with bands of other colours, such as red with green stripes. You have to match the wire on the left with the corresponding wire on the right, and they have a little connector that they plug into. I had 3 minutes to do the test (which was plenty of time to do it and check it over 3 times). I checked it thoroughly as any mistakes at all result in a fail, and therefore not be able to join up. Honestly the wires are very easy to tell apart, there was nothing to try catch you out (nothing like multiple slightly different shades of red, it was plain red, plain yellow, etc) and the recruiters are very sympathetic and understanding, they leave the room so there is nobody watching, don't stress about it.

The most difficult part was trying to get the finicky little wires to behave themselves and cooperate

I really would not worry about it, it was fairly easy, and as someone who completely failed the Ishihara test, it was a big relief to pass it.

Please note I am not a recruiter, just a recruit who went through this process about 2 months ago. I am not sure about the process for any other trade though, but I assume most of them would be about the same

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
There are no recruiters on site at present you need to contact the AFCO. Good luck.

Taztiff

War Hero
As said above, only the AFCO can move forward on this but....

Some roles are automatically banned from those with colour deficiency and some roles require the 'wire' test to be taken (all dependent on level of deficiency)
My son is red / green deficient and he took the wire test. Passed and is now a LET(WE), doesnt seem to have held him back.

My other son is very deficient and he would not have passed the wire test but he still could have joined for a different role (however he failed his medical due to being a 19 stone rugby player so his BMI was too high!).

Blake20

Hi my son did the Colour perception trade wire test this morning does anyone know how long the results take, as we were told the results are passed on to the medical team. We assumed he would be told there and then.
Thanks

Blake20

Ok thanks we thought we would be told, now in panic in case he has failed . His AFCO is on holiday for 2 weeks and another AFCO conducted the test.

KeepGoing

Midshipman
If your son feels that he passed he most likely did. Did he struggle with discerning the colours? If not he most likely passed. Probably due to the different AFCO doing it in that case. I wouldn't worry about it too much

Blake20

Thanks, he thinks he did ok but obviously he sees what colours he sees, fingers crossed I will give it a couple of days and ring the office.
Thanks for your help

Eviqs

Midshipman
Can any recruiters out there answer this one for me please?
My son has just been told that he has a red / green eyesight problem.
Will he be automatically referred for a lantern test or are there determining factors?
Many thanks.
Okay so, I had this problem very recently. I failed the ishihara test (with the dots). I spoke to my AFCO and he arrange for me to do the wire test. He brought it out to the waiting room and let me have a look at it and have a practice. The last thing they want you to do is fail. He then took me into an interview room and "muddled" them up and told me to begin.

I also scouted the internet beforehand and found this.
https://www.royalmarines.uk/attachments/img_20180924_202017-jpg.5032/

It might look a little daunting but there are very distinct differences between the colors. JUST CHECK AND CHECK AGAIN AFTER COMPLETING

Hope this helps. Good luck to him.

Blake20

Thanks Eviqs he has done the test but we didn't get answer if he had passed we were just told it would be passed on to the medical dept. He did get a practice before doing it for real. We just wanted to know if others taking the test got their results there and then or at a later date.
Thanks

Eviqs

Midshipman
Thanks Eviqs he has done the test but we didn't get answer if he had passed we were just told it would be passed on to the medical dept. He did get a practice before doing it for real. We just wanted to know if others taking the test got their results there and then or at a later date.
Thanks

When I did mine, he told me straight away, he went through it and shook my hand and said I had passed. Don't let this worry you though, I am sure if you give them a ring or email your AFCO, they will more than likely give you the answer then and there.

Blake20

Hi just an update we received an email today stating that due to him failing the trade wire test he is considered unfit to join. Needless to say we are absolutely gutted. Thanks for all your replies.

Eviqs

Midshipman
@Blake20 Sorry to hear about that. Absolutely gutted for the lad! Is there no way he can reattempt it? Hope everything goes well for him in civvy street.

Blake20

Thanks Eviqs. He had a college place as well so he will carry on with that. I will speak to his AFCO when they are back in the office next week. Its frustrating because we have told them (The Navy) all along about his colour deficiency, you would think that it would be one of the first things to be tested rather than build his hopes up by letting him take and pass both the psychometric test and the interview. Anyway onwards and upwards.
Thanks

Eviqs

Midshipman
@enquiringmind no, the ishihara test is the first they do. This is like to test for a deficiency at all. Then the wire test is the lowest standard allowed, so rather than do the lantern and fail and then do the wire test, it makes more sense to do the wire test next. Then depending on the branch requirements.. they will do the lantern test.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Holmes-Wright Lantern Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
F What is the Lantern test like? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
MoD_RSS Lantern of Knowledge Secondary School: warning notice MoD News 0
D Lantern UPO 6
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace meets new year surge in demand with faster turnaround times MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace reaches one million people over new year, as record numbers test positive MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Statement from Chief Medical Adviser for NHS Test and Trace, Susan Hopkins on community testing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace told a record number of people to self-isolate over Christmas week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace reaches record number of people as demand increases significantly MoD News 0
A British Nuclear Test veteran still holding HMG to task History 41
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace winter performance holds steady MoD News 0
MoD_RSS MHRA issues exceptional use authorisation for NHS Test and Trace COVID-19 Self-Test device MoD News 0
S Fitness test booked but now into lockdown Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
C What happens if you fail the swim test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
MoD_RSS New sites to test how connecting people with nature can improve mental health MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New satellite propulsion test facility to propel UK into new space age MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CBBC doctors join NHS Test and Trace in fight against coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government publishes list of approved COVID-19 test providers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace reaching more than 92% of contacts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Test facility speeds progress MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Test to Release for International Travel goes live MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Business as usual for NHS Test and Trace over Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace continues to improve as contacts reached exceeds 85% MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New NHS Test and Trace plan to support return to more normal way of life MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Live test of EU exit contingency plans on M20 in Kent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than one million cases reached by NHS Test and Trace MoD News 0
T Psychometric test simple question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS Clinical evaluation confirms accuracy of LAMP test MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace continues to improve MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Test to Release: England introduces testing strategy for international arrivals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield’s COVID-19 test centre to expand MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace processes more tests and contacts more positive cases MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Royal Mail to collect COVID-19 test kits 7 days a week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 2 million people reached by NHS Test and Trace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace hits record testing capacity as over 10 million people tested at least once MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 500,000 daily testing capacity reached in ongoing drive to boost test and trace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace managing record number of cases MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace statistics for 8 October to 14 October MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NIBSC selected by CEPI to test coronavirus vaccines globally MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace statistics for 1 October to 7 October MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 500 test sites now open as new lab partnerships boost capacity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government invests in UK-developed antibody tests from UK Rapid Test Consortium MoD News 0
P Sit up/ press up test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
T Changing Role after fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS Guidance to parents and guardians: when you should book a coronavirus test for your child MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Lighthouse Labs to boost NHS Test and Trace capacity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Theory test changes: 28 September 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS NHS Test and Trace statistics for 27 August to 2 September released MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Lighthouse Lab to boost NHS Test and Trace capacity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from PHE and NHS Test and Trace to school and college leaders MoD News 0