Landing Craft (Kitchen)

Discussion in 'History' started by Seaweed, Oct 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Browsing a collection of facsimile wartime newspapers, my eye lighted on a post-D-Day report of a Landing Craft (Kitchen) which appears to have done a roaring trade feeding, and later baking for, hundreds of troops. The LC(K) had a complement of 25 of whom 13 were cooks, under the command of a 19 year old midshipman.

A new ship type for me - anything known?
  2. 13 Cooks? Nightmare division for a 19 year old Middie!
  3. without getting my reference books out-----the LC[K] was a converted
    Thames Dumb Barge fitted with an engine--the hold space and upper deck utilised for a cooking facility.
    It was for feeding the small landing craft crews and beach parties etc on detached duties probably backed up the Army food supplies too.

Think I remember seeing a couple in Portsmouth being used for ships in refit or maintenance [in my very early RN days :lol: ].

4. So,what was Nelson really like? :lol:
  5. Some dits and a phot here
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Fantastic, I knew someone would have the answers.
  7. We had one tied up other side of the dock gate during Fife re-fit '71, manned by Maltese LEP's , good scran.
  8. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Ate onbaord one during a maintenance period in a CVS. Mind you I don't expect there was much of the original left!
  9. :twisted: Nelson was a good hand; :roll: It was that Hardey who was a bastard! :evil:
  10. Don't you mean HAD a good hand
  11. Floating Galley was a Fountain Lake institution during70s refits Galley on the Top ,Dining hall below ,Oil fired stove didnt half belt out some heat the stove hotplates glowed red..Old dockyard matey Bert was the Stoker onboard but he only worked 8 -5 so duty chef had to flash it up 0400 to get it ready for breakie. It was well equipped & wasnt a bad galley to work in.
  12. There's still one left: LBK6