Lance Corporal James H. Murdoch The Parachute Regiment

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Backpacker1uk, Jun 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A guy in Argentina wanted a photo of HMS Plymouth for his Flickr site also on the site was a pic and a short story attached below.

If this could be sent over to ARRSE for the Airborne lads to follow up it would be appreciated. The guy who wrote to Renfrewshire Counicl has now moved out of the area. And is might pissed off with that council.

Lance Corporal James H. Murdoch 1957-82. 3rd Battalion the Parachute Regiment.
    I’ve been trying for some considerable time to get a photograph of Lance Corporal James H Murdoch.
    James Murdoch and I were at Renfrew High School together. He was killed in action on Mount Longdon, serving his country, liberating The Falklands, 11th/12th June 1982.
    He was brought home and interred from Renfrew Old Parish Church and then on to Arkleston Cemetery. James' parents did not wish his name added to Renfrew’s Cenotaph at the time. They never fully got over his death and are both now dead.
    Renfrew’s Cenotaph was uprooted and moved during 2007. I contacted Renfrewshire Council to ask if they would add his name to The Cenotaph. They don’t want to know.
    James H. Murdoch is a local hero who has been largely forgotten but deserves to be remembered.

[​IMG]

2. It may be worth passing the above to the local legions branch secretary.

3. I would recommend passing it to
    www..sama 82.org or pming Hydra Joe he will certainly point you in the right direction but meadal collectors beware

4. I know the editor of the local rag in Renfrew (Paisley Daily Express - PDX - ) will see if she will to start a campaign to get him on The Cenotaph. Also know a few of the PR staff in Renfrewshire Council so will get on to them about this. If we can get a national paper (Sun, Express, Mail etc) on board the counci will soon give way. Nothing like bad press to get councillors changing their minds. As a matter of interest the MP for the area is Douglas Garven Alexander (Secretary of State for International Development) and one of the MSPs is his sister Wendy Alexander (Leader of Scottish Labour) so think they would be more than happy to help a war hero!

Local Legion address:
    Paisley Comrades Branch Social Club RBLS
    13/9 Renfrew Road
    Paisley Renfrewhire PA3 4DD

Telephone Number: 0141 889 9281

5. If this was my local council either in the UK or Ireland I would be kicking doors down no problem.

If you can get in touch with your editor friend I am sure that would help a lot.

I can understand how his parents felt when they lost their son and not having his name added to the memorial. But not on the attitude of the council!!!

I am not registered on ARRSE if was I would post the story on there for the Airborne lads to take it up.

6. I will put this on the Ex Airborne Forces website.

We have people who can do something about this situation.

Now this is a very interesting situation. I had no idea about what has been going on recently.

"Doc" was one of my recruits and later on I was his Platoon Sgt in 3 Para.
    An excellent Airborne Soldier, who always had a smile on his face. His sense of humour would lift the spirits of anyone who was on a downer.

His sister is married to another ex 3 Para member who I used to have contact details of about 10 years ago. I will try and contact her and pass on this info.

The very least that Doc deserves is to have his name on the memorial.

RIP Doc!

7. I have wrote to his ex school mate giving him the update he was sick and tired of banging on the council door and getting no place. Ex Airborne have more clout than one individual.

Please keep me/us updated on the outcome so I can let him know. He has moved out of the area now.

Cheers. :thumright:

8. Ok,

I'll do that!

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

PP: Send my regards to Denzil... :thumright:

10. Consider it done mate

11. Have spoke to the Ed and think she's up for it. Also remembered that I know one of the councillors so have PMed him on another site that I know he is on so will see what his reply is.

12. Good hopefully it will be sorted soon.

Just as long as the surviving family give permission of course. I was wondering if it was a family thing they did not want his name on the memorial or just the parents.

We shall find out soon enough.

13. My councillor pal is looking into it. Funny enough saw the PR lass down her in sunny SW19 yesterday so had a quick chat with her and she'll be in touch once she gets back home.

14. If you need help in regard to Doc. let me know.

15. We are trying to track down lance corporal james h murdoch sister can you help please

WE ARE TRYING TO TRACE JAMES SISTER, ANNE TO SEE IF SHE WILL ALLOW THE COUNCIL TO PUT HER BROTHERS NAME ON THE WAR MEMORIAL IN RENFREW, BEFORE THE END OF THE 30 YEAR ANNIVERSARY, IF YOU KNOW HER MARRIED NAME OR WHEREABOUTS, COULD YOU PLEASE CONTACT THE PARAS ON [email protected] AS THEY WOULD LIKE TO PAY TO HAVE HIS NAME ADDED TO THE MEMORIAL AND THE COUNCIL ARE NOW ONBOARD AFTER 30 YEARS, WE ARE ALSO GETTING HELP FROM SAMA.

IF YOU KNOW HER MARRIED NAME OR WHEREABOUTS. COULD YOU PLEASE CONTACT THE NATIONAL SEC FOR THE PARA REGIMENTAL ASSOCIATION ASAP.

BRIAN HENDERSON
    EX NAVY

IM DOING THIS FOR MY FRIEND ALFY DUNBAR WHO WAS ALSO A MATE OF MURDIE'S AND HE HAS ASKED ME TO HELP. I HAVE BEEN ASKED BY MIKE COLLINS OF THE PARAS REGIMENTAL ASSOCATION TO TRY AND FIND HER AS MATTER OF URGENCY.

16. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Mate. If you go on ARRSE and go into the Infantry section, you'll get more joy there. Plenty of chaps who served with the gungy third who may be able to help.

17. I consulted the Birth/Marriage Registers for Scotland and found the lady in question and sent the details to the e-mail address given but received no reply.