Laid-off MoD staff can apply for old jobs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SJRM_RN, Aug 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It certainly makes one wonder with regard the lack of foresight of higher management in the MOD - after all, the withdrawal of the Sea Harrier wasn't a cock-up, was it?

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

The MOD was told in SDSR to lose 25,000 people without anyone working out whether this was a sustainable figure or not. They had to make 15,000 redundant over 3 years, and then found in year one that they'd got sufficient applicants to cover all three years.
    The end result was a total mess up as people couldnt leave fast enough, and skills were lost - this is because the lords and masters felt loss of headcount quickly was more important than a slower but managed loss of headcount.
    This is coupled with problem that a lot of ABW are 'of older years' and need to be replaced in next 10 years or so as they retire. Therefore you need to recruit again anyway (much as the RN is always recruiting). Those rejoining though join on new T&Cs which are significantly less good than their previous ones - they've got new pension arrangements etc.

Not a good story, but the reality is that this is what happens when you decide that an ideologically driven desire to slash the civil service is more important than planning how to do it properly...

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

One things for certain, it won't be anyone's fault.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The other racing certainty is a fair proportion will be re-employed on a lower wage by a third-party contractor rather than as civil servants.

5. Why not just abolish DE&S and replace it with something more appropriate? I'd favour the Support and Equipment areas being split (much like 1SL and 2SL) which would make accountability a hell of a lot better. But of course, holding people to account for their jobs can't always be allowed to happen. So I give you the folowing: Equipment and Support (Defence). Surely I should be an Admiral with thinking like that? ;)

6. We could have the Defence Procurement Agency to buy stuff and the Defence Logistics Organisation to maintain it - that would work, wouldn't it?

What could possibly go wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Well I don't want my old job back - they can bog off!!!

8. I'm still hangin' in there. Awaiting my 60th Birthday cake, then I shall see if they redundantise my arse and THEN
    I'll apply to come back as an Agency worker, but only if I can have a pink uniform and a nice hat.