LAFB called to minor fire on CVF section.

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by wave_dodger, Nov 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

2. :cry:Oh! Dear...remember one happening when the Victorious, was in refit, and she never sailed again

3. And no clankies to assist the fire brigade!!!!!!!

4. Look on the bright side ... she's still in build so we haven't accepted her yet ... and they should be under contract to deliver (hopefully with penalty clauses) on time ... so their problem! You burnt it ... you fix it!

5. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

And happened in Eagle in the Med in mid-'56 and if it hadn't been got under control she would have been scratched from Suez.

6. The Vic's fire was a propaganga stunt designed to make an excuse for scrapping her, bullshit at its best!

7. Don't think so I was bosuns mate on Minerva in Pompey when she caught fire, Ships companies from nearly all berthed ships supplied firefighters. The decks were that hot that the glit deck polish was rolling into small balls and exploding. wrote off my No 2's. Not an experience I'd like to repeat. Some propoganda.

8. Propaganda as to why it couldn't be be repaired.!

9. The fire was just the excuse HMG were looking for to downsize, and that they did. Sucessive governments have dropped us well below the 50 ship fleet which was the lowest number we could operate with given our global commitments in the 70's and 80's. We now have less than half of that number and are still looking for cuts. The Sea Lords complain and are told by politicians to wind their necks in, and are publically humiliated into the bargain. The , press political parties and public are then irate when Pusser can't provide a FRE ship, I didn't notice any political parties apologise because of this, it was left to a MOD spokesperson to fend of criticism.It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

A very small fire on a disembodied piece of a ship in build is being compared to major fires on operational ships up to 55 years ago years ago. WTF?

my bold

11. I expect most of us have had to do 'welder's watch', when the old dockies usede to be welding, with asbestos blanket--(yes asbestos) and a 2 gall gas water extinguisher, trying to avoid a welder's flash whilst watching where the frigging sparks were flying. Was a steady duty!

12. BTW they are now called FRS not LAFB, someone in that public service has cottoned on how we do things in the Navy,'justify job, make a new name up'.

13. I remember doing a Harbour fire Exercise after just going on crew on a bomber in 2000,duty watch were "beaten back" to muster on the jetty and await Defence Fire Service. We got fresh bottles went in again to lead the "experts" down the boat to the port DG compartment,got there and one of their whistles went off,low air. One out all out,back to the jetty to get our bottles changed and theirs,only to be told they had to send another team in as the ones that had been in with us were not allowed to go back in without a rest! Meaning us matelots went in three times and the "experts" had to have a rest!!!! No wonder matelots do a good job when the firemen are on strike!

14. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I've always thought these guys are underprepared if the shit hits the fan. I could probably count on both hands and toes the amount of times over the years I've seen them down a boat. IMO, these guys should be at least be BSQ qualified on each SM class and spend a hell of alot more time onboard familiarizing themselves with each boat.

15. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

angry mac wrote
    Has anyone told Phoenix? I've done ISSC since moon last shine full in um sky and man in big fire proof coat he no say.

Shall we settle on 'Trumpton'?

Mod head on: moved to the quarterdeck (ditting on about the 50s isn't current affairs).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  16. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Hmmmmm , "Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub"

17. Wits what the fcuk you doing up at 03 cracksparrow in the morning - banging someones granny??? can't be mine she's been dead 40 years still you never know