Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Chicogiz, Mar 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. edited because its a crap post!
  2. There are no females on British boats but the Aussies have them on their Rankin class boats.
  3. why aint ladys alound on british subs? only for a tour
  4. My understanding are there are Health and Safety issues for women relating to the fact that our Boats are Nuclear powered (as we have sold off the last of the diesel boats).
  5. Maybe its a clash of colours??BLACK!I would be seen dead in BLACK!
  6. Perhaps it's because ladies speak quietly. :grin:
  7. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Norwegians have a female Submarine Skipper!

We don't have them because wimmin like to wash regularly whereas blokey submariners literally go for weeks without so much as touching a bar of soap... :grin: :wink: :lol:

Seriously though, I understand from others here who have served on boaty things that women lack the upper body strength to be useful if an emergency arises, where EVERY member of the crew MUST be capable of saving the ship. On targets the women are, I understand, excused duties which involve heavy lifting, etc. This means that if you are in a compartment and your life depends upon your team, and only the females have survived: you may be in a tricky situation!!! :roll:
  8. Sorry Steve, but I think you are inaccurate wrt all of your last post but maybe some current submariners can set us straight.
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Good theory Steve, are you saying the the Aussie Sheilas are a different breed?

Its purely on health grounds on the all Nuc. RN Boats. Mainly, I understand due to sensativity of the early feotus (sp).

The above is what is put out for the general public.......

The real reason is the horror of tampons flying around the Boat when theres excess high pressure.

Chicogiz, if you don't know what a Tampon is, ask your Mum
  10. You mean they aren't? :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd like to be a fly on the wall to witness that conversation...

Mummy, what is a tampon? :grin: :lol:
  11. Wimmin Submarine skippers..Imagine coming into Pompey dockyard then instead of going alongside carrying on up and looking at all the other available berths…then 2 hours later finally docking back at the first one…
    The RAs would never stand for it.

Interesting the Israeli army don’t put wimmin on the front line anymore….as they recon the men are overprotective and so it makes for an inefficient fighting unit.

12. Thats the answer that I would go with......................

The atmosphere on a sub is not good for feotal health

Hence we don't risk it
  14. I always thought the atmosphere was quite good on Quiz night.

15. I think this is right, remember that a woman could be a couple of months pregnant and not realise this at the start of a patrol. Add on three months and that makes 5 months... not a good place to gestate a foetus I'd expect.

I think that the only other job that women can't do is diver, and once again it is, I believe, due to H+S issues, as deep diving won't do an unborn baby any good.

The upper body issue is not so relevant as I know some wimpy men and some very strong women! As a previous poster said a while ago upper body strength is more important on a surface ship, because if you get a hole it is a lot of hard work. I believe that if a submarine gets holed it sinks...very quickly...(and they are halfway there already!)...
  16. That's the reason.
  17. Ah but think of the benefits... the deformed fetus would emerge underwater as a ready made Baby Submariner complete with jumper, boots and No.4s and a grin on its face, ready to take its place as a Splash Down Target Coxswain or a human torpedo! :twisted:
  18. I left the RAN about the same time women first began SM training and so have no first hand experience of a mixed gender ships company, however I remember the several years worth of briefings, meetings, opinion polls etc. that led up to the decision being made. One which I was in favour of, as much of my time as an SM Coxswain was taken up with finding enough warm bodies to keep my boat at sea, and anything that widened the available pool of qualified manpower (or womanpower) was fine by me.

I have spoken to lots of people since who have first hand experience of female submariners and the responses range from 'bloody excellent, should have done it years earlier', to 'absolute ******* disaster, a waste of time training and effort'. The truth no doubt lies somewhere in the middle. Some females adapt well and pull their weight, others don't. Just like male sailors really.

Someone who was part of the initial selection process for the first female SM trainees told me that they were on the lookout for anyone who seemed to be there only to make a feminist statement or merely to prove something to their male shipmates. As far as possible any woman with this attiude didn't get a run. While there have been complications of the sort found in the surface navy, this is an unfortunate trade off for getting a larger pool of personnel to select from. Its worth noting that RAN submariner recruiting and retention is still in a crisis, more to do with inept personnel magement than mixed gender ships companys, athough its possible this has had some effect given that the eccentric behaviour accpted as normal amongst all male submariners is now offcially outlawed and miscreants will be sacrificed on the altar of political correctness.

As the first English speaking navy to do this there was lots of interest from the USN, RN and CAF however so far only the Canadians have tried it themselves. I think it is more entrenched attitudes than any concern about residual radiation effects on pregnant females that have stopped the USN and RN from follwing suit.
  19. Tell that to the badass chicks in the Carcall company or Golani regiment, rather you than me.....
  20. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Jack77, I read the radiation reason elsewhere, others more in the know that me confirmed the reason.