Ladybird Books

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by JamesH, Apr 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone remember the old Ladybird books -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I looked in my old cupboard, I found some other Ladybird books as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

James

2. Brilliant!
    :D :D :D

3. I didn't bother reading the policeman story, at first. Then on second glance.....priceless. More needed!

4. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brings back memories, though when I read Ladybirds (as is birds could be anything other than ladies.... :roll: ) a computer meant a mainframe! :oops:

5. Absolutely fanastic, bet my grandsons would like to read these books.

6. I'm quite concerned that in the piccy of Malcolm/Barbara that sports car's number plate is clearly visible. Could this lead to identity theft? Did s/he give his/her/its permission for this image to be shown to impressionable future criminals (children - obviously negative Slim's grandsons). o_O ;)

7. Excellent , lol .

8. Brilliant stuff and so on the ball......
    Thanks VM for a good laugh...

9. Now that I like!

Its going to do the rounds at work tomorrow (yes, in the offshore game we work weekends when we need to - sorry wrong thread).

McC

10. Brilliant.

I like the cop chasing the terrorist, last time I spotted a cop going that fast was for last orders.

11. I do like the last one of the policeman series (stuffed horse on wheels) now there's a thought!

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Amused to find this selection of books on Amazon. The titles alone tell a rather dark little story:

That's Enough, Maddie!
    Maddie Tries to Be Good
    Maddie In Danger
    Maddie In Hospital
    Maddie's Big Test
    Maddie Surfs for Cyber-Pals
    Maddie In Goal
    Maddie Goes To Paris
    Maddie Wants Music
    Maddie Needs Her Own Life

Wonder if they're still selling, or the authors are currently tearing their hair out at the unfortunate coincidence? I'm looking forward to their
    next effort, "Shannon buys some cigs from Iceland (they're 8p cheaper you know)."

13. Laugh out loud funny .........and deserves a bump

14. Quality fun at a reasonable price.
    I remember reading some time ago a dit about the MOD approaching Ladybird for a series of books to help new Civil Serpents. Ladybird wrote saying that their books were targetted at kids aged 4-10. The MOD confirmed the order....

15. Good effort James, I had the 'official' version of the Police one and the Army one too.
    They didn't have one for the Royal Marines, well cross dressing, naked bars and roll mat fighting are hard to explain to a 10 year old.
    NZB

16. You have enough on down yonder explaining to a child that the one you love is also the one you eat. At times life can be so cruel!!

[​IMG]

17. This story is not entirely apocryphal! My dad used to work in the civil service just about the time they started issuing laptops (more like paving slabs :lol: ) to senior staff. He was issued one but with no training or instructions of any kind.... But... wait for it... they suggested the computer illiterate staff (like my dad) read the Ladybird book on computers as an introduction! When my sister & I heard about this (we were teenagers at the time) we both laughed. We are talking about the late 1970s here....

18. I like the sign welcoming people to Backpackers Mansions. Is that really what Morag looks like??!!