Ladies hair cuts

T5igger

Lantern Swinger
Hello again all,

Bit of a strange question I'm aware. But what are the rules on women's hair cuts?

I currently have fairly short hair, almost shaved (like a number 4) on one side and then longer on the other.

I've heard women aren't allowed their hair too shirt? Personally I was just going to shave all my hair to a number 4. I don't care for how it looks and I imagine it'll be easier through training.

My only concern is I've been told women's hair can't be shorter than a certain length, but nobody seems to know this lenght? All I've found online is that it just be able to be tied back and put in a bun?

Thanks in advance

Spare_Rib

Lantern Swinger
From dress regs (BR3):

Hair. Shall be kept neatly groomed and shall not extend below the lower edge of the shirt collar. Long hair should be worn up and properly secured in a neat and tidy fashion using grips, hairpins and nets where appropriate. Varying styles of hair, straight or curled, are permitted within these limits but unnatural hair colours (i.e. those colours that are not within the colour range of the individual’s natural hair colour) and exaggerated styles, including those with excessive fullness, shortness or extreme height are not permitted. In no case shall the bulk or length of the hair detract from a smart and well-groomed appearance or preclude the proper wearing of naval headdress. Hair ornaments, (including scrunchies, combs and Alice bands) shall not be worn. Every effort shall be made to ensure that grips, hairpins and nets used to secure the hair are as unobtrusive as possible and are to be as near as possible to the colour of the hair. Hairstyles shall be secured or styled back from the face; this includes corn braids/ corn rows, which should be simple in design and absent beads and any other adornments. Ratings with long hair may wear it in a ‘pony tail’, secured with a non-synthetic (i.e. not man-made fibre) tie when forming part of an emergency party so that breathing apparatus can be donned quickly without the need to remove hairgrips. This relaxation also extends to ratings off duty in their mess decks.

I've never seen a female with a no 4 all over; it could possibly fall into the 'excessive shortness' bracket. Can you not grow it all to the same length and have a pixie style?

T5igger

Lantern Swinger
I'm trying to grow it out now, but I'm not sure what counts as excessive shortness as sometimes a long pixie cut can look very messy.

The dress regs don't massively help...

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I can think of no reason why a female cannot have a number 4 haircut.

Then again I can think of no reason why the female hair regulations do not apply equally to males.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Ninja you will saying you want to wear a skirt next, wait a min?
For me, the Navy disowned the right to claim any regulations based on "tradition" when they decided to make Ratings swear an oath of allegiance, eradicating centuries of tradition.

The oath carries zero rhyme nor reason, nor indeed any legally binding undertaking. If it did, then everyone joining prior to the nonsensical change would've been retrospectively required to swear an oath also.

They weren't.

T5igger

Lantern Swinger
To be honest if happily get a lads hair cut during the training, means it's quicker in the shower and less time spent on hair and more time doing important things.

It's just hair, it grows

For me, the Navy disowned the right to claim any regulations based on "tradition" when they decided to make Ratings swear an oath of allegiance, eradicating centuries of tradition.

The oath carries zero rhyme nor reason, nor indeed any legally binding undertaking. If it did, then everyone joining prior to the nonsensical change would've been retrospectively required to swear an oath also.

They weren't.
We could start a .Gov petition to have it removed :)