Lack of respect these days

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Jenny_Dabber, Nov 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been having a conversation over on another forum (civvy one).

The lack of respect shown by them on those who have died, injured or generally those serving is very high. Apparently, signing up is a death sentence and that those serving know what they are getting into, so why should they be shown respect?

This is shocking! Are the youth of today actually brought up by this or is this proof that ignorance is bliss?

Your thoughts please!

2. I dont think i will even expend the energy to have any thoughts about scum like this!They will be the forst to scream for Armed Forces should they be needed in a Global event.

3. I suspect a trawl here but even if genuine ignored like the trash it is. Just have to accept the fact that people like this exist but not acknowledged. With no reponse they usually crawl back where they belong,

4. I'm afraid that I encounter people with that attitude on more occassions than I care to recall - and have been ever since I joined the ROC back in 79, so it'd not new. I can remember people saying the same thing about the Falklands dead and injured. Quite sickening.

I was at Cranbrook Remembrance Day Parade today. More people in uniforms and British Legionnaires were there than civvies. On our march we had just 12 of us in the BL contingent - with just 2 of us representing the ROC (my colleague, served during WW2 in the RN) aged 79 against me at 43! The rest were either youngsters in the Army Cadets, the Police, Fire Service and various civvy organisations. Our numbers were depleted this year as Cranbrook School didn't send their usual large contingent. Even so we out-numbered the public! Just three years ago it was the other way round, and that was with a marching contingent twice our size today.

5. I am pleased to say the public (of all ages) were out in great force today in Edinburgh and gave the guard a round of applause as it marched off. There were a very substantial number of young families standing watching the ceremony.

Those who can't get their heads round why they should respect the armed forces don't matter; don't waste your energy thinking about them.

6. The Hawthorns, West Bromwich, 11/11/06 15:00hrs
    1 minutes silence observed impeckably by 18,000 West Bromwich Albion and Norwich City Fans.

Two Points on this:
    1. Its heartening to see that there is still a lot of respect out there and that was displayed by football fans of all ages.

2. Football fans are not all mindless yobs (Agreed, they are not all angels) and I bet West Bromwich was not the only silent ground!

7. And how did your Arms Drill go Dunkers? As well as we all expected? I take it you're now recovering from all the booze and have pencilled in next year into your diary? :)

8. Well. Spent Saturday morning learning it, then spent the afternoon learning to do it to Army timings (1 marching pace between each movement as opposed to the RN's two). It went as well as could be hoped, given that we had to hold the rifles at the shoulder for a long period of time (which gets sore), changing arms whenever the RSM (from the army) remembered to order us to do so. At least we were reasonably warm in greatcoats. :lol: (For those of you who never used SA80s for drill; you can't order arms with them, you have to shoulder them at all times.)

9. Very busy service in Whitby. Lots of services represented - Army cadets, Coastguard, RBL, an American officer of some sort, RNLI and so on... Also, despite it being located half-way up a hill above Whitby there was a pretty decent contigent of civvies there as well, some having come quite a way away to visit (from north of Newcastle, I think). Quite good attendance there then.

10. Regrettably i didn't attend a service today for the first time in many years because of family issues. I get the impression however that as long as the youngsters are getting their nice clothes, pukka mobile phones and bling so that they can look like the boyz from the hood, and enough money to keep them in spliff or whatever drug of choice is current at this time they aren't worried about the fact that many VERY brave men and women are fighting abroad in what is deemed as for queen and country. My point is that many (not all) of the British public have very short memories and are possessed very much by their possessions (Thatchers children)

11. I see your point but there is a large number who are not like this, in fact, many people of my age ( 18 ) when I have told them about the RNR (and the Forces in general) have seriously considered joining (and still are). "Why shouldn't it be me contributing to the defence of my country?" said one of them, as a reason for his application to join. Quite encouraging to hear that.
    For every useless teenager there is another who is quite respectable, I can tell you this being that age myself.

12. I believe a great deal of today's lack of respect is due to the lack of self respect

13. Thanks for that Dunkers!!
    I used to work with young people like yourself but got the hump mainly with the youthworker types who would restrict me in what i could/could not say or do. as i've said in previous threads, there are a great deal of good young people out there. Unfortunately for every good deed done there are knobbers out there that try to spoil it for the rest of them. Hobbit In my job i'm very often faced with young people on a saturday night who have O.D'd on paracetamol or whatever they can get their hands on. I ask them why they do it and the answer is always because lifes shite, or they cant face life and it's stresses and strains. I believe this is down to a lack of self-respect that young people have to cope with.

14. In addition to lack of self respect, maybe the problem is worsened by lack of community spirit these days? If they feel that nobody is looking out for them, or cares for them, even in passing (like how you might be concerned for an oppo if they were having a hard time)... then they feel they have nobody who they can laugh things off with. And so minor difficulties become serious.
    "Thatcher's children" indeed as you say. There's no community, it's all about what you "own".

15. People used to moan about a lack of community spirit when I was a teenager Dunkers, and that's going back to the 70s... :oops:

16. Good point AAC
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that i believe the problem stems from the 1960's when national service was abolished and young men who would have had to do a year suddenly found they could do pretty much what they wanted to do. Many of these people then had children who grew up in an undisciplined environment and in turn had further offspring who to be fair dont exactly inspire confidence. I know from previous threads with you that i'm going to be open to some tree hugging flack mate but hey broad shoulders

17. I don't see it as much as the cessation of National Service, because the kids start behaving that way long before they would ever have done NS. It is much more down to the blaming of bad behaviour on circumstances and letting the small rats get away with it. It is just like the drunken antics of so many today, when I was young if you were seen to be drunk in the streets by a copper you spent the night in cells and saw the beak in the morning, small fine and your name and piccy in the local rag. That sort of concept made you behave when the boys in blue popped rounfd the corner.

We need to have a good few years of zero tolerance of anti social behaviour to get some semblance of sanity back.

Peter

18. HMS Excellent, Saturday 11 November 1100, parade ground-Royal drilling, pongo's drilling, pipe over tannoy, Royal stood to attention by DL, followed by pongo's.

2 minutes slience by those men (and I would guess every other man/woman in/out of uniform on that island)

On the top field screaming and shouting of spectators playing/watching football on a military ground in a naval establishment.

More than disrespectful on that day and unforgivable that everyone entering was not made aware that the two minutes WOULD be observed by everyone entering those gates.

Outside in a town centre people used to stand silent, few people do so now, that (to their shame) it's their choice, when they tread on naval turf they play by our rules or they don't come aboard.

We do it out of respect, we lead by example but if an official pipe (in naval speak a warning of an order) is just disregarded by all and sundry what bloody hope is there?

Listen in -in the Officers Mess (overlooking those playing fields), listen in the Jossman in the Guardroom and the pongo guard force, why did you not ensure that on the 11 month on the 11th day at the 11 hour at HMS Excellent two minutes silence was observed by all?

Bloody disgrace.

19. Back to the original statement/question by Jenny,
    I think it goes back to the sixties Jen, when the teaching colleges were all taken over by the leftys. The majority of the teachers, that they turn out now, despise all Servicemen, their achiements and sacrifices, British Empire history.
    Don't believe me? Ask your kids or grand kids to relate what they have been taught about the above. The bias is unbelievable.
    A Sad, Grumpy Old RoofRat :cry:

20. Totaly agree mate , fxxxxxxxxxxg disgrace ,