Lack of respect these days

D

Deleted 7

Guest
Just been having a conversation over on another forum (civvy one).

The lack of respect shown by them on those who have died, injured or generally those serving is very high. Apparently, signing up is a death sentence and that those serving know what they are getting into, so why should they be shown respect?

This is shocking! Are the youth of today actually brought up by this or is this proof that ignorance is bliss?

Your thoughts please!
 

andym

War Hero
I dont think i will even expend the energy to have any thoughts about scum like this!They will be the forst to scream for Armed Forces should they be needed in a Global event.
 

hobbit

War Hero
I suspect a trawl here but even if genuine ignored like the trash it is. Just have to accept the fact that people like this exist but not acknowledged. With no reponse they usually crawl back where they belong,
 
Jenny_Dabber said:
Just been having a conversation over on another forum (civvy one).

The lack of respect shown by them on those who have died, injured or generally those serving is very high. Apparently, signing up is a death sentence and that those serving know what they are getting into, so why should they be shown respect?

This is shocking! Are the youth of today actually brought up by this or is this proof that ignorance is bliss?

Your thoughts please!

I'm afraid that I encounter people with that attitude on more occassions than I care to recall - and have been ever since I joined the ROC back in 79, so it'd not new. I can remember people saying the same thing about the Falklands dead and injured. Quite sickening.

I was at Cranbrook Remembrance Day Parade today. More people in uniforms and British Legionnaires were there than civvies. On our march we had just 12 of us in the BL contingent - with just 2 of us representing the ROC (my colleague, served during WW2 in the RN) aged 79 against me at 43! The rest were either youngsters in the Army Cadets, the Police, Fire Service and various civvy organisations. Our numbers were depleted this year as Cranbrook School didn't send their usual large contingent. Even so we out-numbered the public! Just three years ago it was the other way round, and that was with a marching contingent twice our size today.
 

dunkers

War Hero
I am pleased to say the public (of all ages) were out in great force today in Edinburgh and gave the guard a round of applause as it marched off. There were a very substantial number of young families standing watching the ceremony.

Those who can't get their heads round why they should respect the armed forces don't matter; don't waste your energy thinking about them.
 

chrisredditch

Midshipman
The Hawthorns, West Bromwich, 11/11/06 15:00hrs
1 minutes silence observed impeckably by 18,000 West Bromwich Albion and Norwich City Fans.

Two Points on this:
1. Its heartening to see that there is still a lot of respect out there and that was displayed by football fans of all ages.

2. Football fans are not all mindless yobs (Agreed, they are not all angels) and I bet West Bromwich was not the only silent ground!
 
dunkers said:
I am pleased to say the public (of all ages) were out in great force today in Edinburgh and gave the guard a round of applause as it marched off. There were a very substantial number of young families standing watching the ceremony.

Those who can't get their heads round why they should respect the armed forces don't matter; don't waste your energy thinking about them.

And how did your Arms Drill go Dunkers? As well as we all expected? I take it you're now recovering from all the booze and have pencilled in next year into your diary? :)
 

dunkers

War Hero
Always_a_Civvy said:
dunkers said:
I am pleased to say the public (of all ages) were out in great force today in Edinburgh and gave the guard a round of applause as it marched off. There were a very substantial number of young families standing watching the ceremony.

Those who can't get their heads round why they should respect the armed forces don't matter; don't waste your energy thinking about them.

And how did your Arms Drill go Dunkers? As well as we all expected? I take it you're now recovering from all the booze and have pencilled in next year into your diary? :)

Well. Spent Saturday morning learning it, then spent the afternoon learning to do it to Army timings (1 marching pace between each movement as opposed to the RN's two). It went as well as could be hoped, given that we had to hold the rifles at the shoulder for a long period of time (which gets sore), changing arms whenever the RSM (from the army) remembered to order us to do so. At least we were reasonably warm in greatcoats. :lol: (For those of you who never used SA80s for drill; you can't order arms with them, you have to shoulder them at all times.)
 

persona_non_grata

Lantern Swinger
Very busy service in Whitby. Lots of services represented - Army cadets, Coastguard, RBL, an American officer of some sort, RNLI and so on... Also, despite it being located half-way up a hill above Whitby there was a pretty decent contigent of civvies there as well, some having come quite a way away to visit (from north of Newcastle, I think). Quite good attendance there then.
 

nutty_bag

War Hero
Regrettably i didn't attend a service today for the first time in many years because of family issues. I get the impression however that as long as the youngsters are getting their nice clothes, pukka mobile phones and bling so that they can look like the boyz from the hood, and enough money to keep them in spliff or whatever drug of choice is current at this time they aren't worried about the fact that many VERY brave men and women are fighting abroad in what is deemed as for queen and country. My point is that many (not all) of the British public have very short memories and are possessed very much by their possessions (Thatchers children)
 

dunkers

War Hero
nutty_bag said:
Regrettably i didn't attend a service today for the first time in many years because of family issues. I get the impression however that as long as the youngsters are getting their nice clothes, pukka mobile phones and bling so that they can look like the boyz from the hood, and enough money to keep them in spliff or whatever drug of choice is current at this time they aren't worried about the fact that many VERY brave men and women are fighting abroad in what is deemed as for queen and country. My point is that many (not all) of the British public have very short memories and are possessed very much by their possessions (Thatchers children)

I see your point but there is a large number who are not like this, in fact, many people of my age ( 18 ) when I have told them about the RNR (and the Forces in general) have seriously considered joining (and still are). "Why shouldn't it be me contributing to the defence of my country?" said one of them, as a reason for his application to join. Quite encouraging to hear that.
For every useless teenager there is another who is quite respectable, I can tell you this being that age myself.
 
Top