Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lack of Faceache on boats!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Again, it carries the usual Daily Mail caveat: "ignore the facts, selectively print bollocks to improve sales" ;)

I often think the service is always just behind the curve when it comes to identifying Maslow' s hierarchy of digital needs for young people. By the time someone realises there is a shortfall in expectation & decides to address it, the technology has moved on. If they talked to young people and listened, they may just learn something.

The armed forces are only just beginning to accept social media is a powerful tool in cyber warfare. ISIS had no problem identifying this but instead of embracing it, the armed forces decided to try and control it and waste time trying to remove what many regard as basic human rights.

If the service dwelt a pause of several marching paces, they would also realise that young people can understand the concept of opsec/persec and recognise the fact that the covert nature of the submarine service, in particular, and the physical medium in which they operate, very much restricts internet access.

The other thing the service is slow to pick-up on is the bulk of Faceache users is more likely to fit the age profile of the parents of recruits nowadays, not the recruits themselves.

Until the mob addresses the work/life balance by increasing manpower to meet the operational tasking and re-creates shore billets to improve the sea/shore ratio at all levels, we will struggle to recruit & retain. It doesn't need a consultant to figure the obvious.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Until the mob addresses the work/life balance by increasing manpower to meet the operational tasking and re-creates shore billets to improve the sea/shore ratio at all levels, we will struggle to recruit & retain. It doesn't need a consultant to figure the obvious.

True, but doubtless a retired SO1 is about to send us an invoice for so doing.........

Seadog

War Hero
Thank you for your kind words. I usually draw attention to my word play but I reckoned that 'skimmed' would be pinged immediately.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
OK - I'm copywriting this idea!

Let's try to 'sell' the idea of serving on a boat as a 'retreat' and 'getting away from the Rat Race' and all those nasty EM waves that are out to get you. Hey, maybe we could even charge the troops for the privilege, thereby negating the need to pay them!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
OK - I'm copywriting this idea!

Let's try to 'sell' the idea of serving on a boat as a 'retreat' and 'getting away from the Rat Race' and all those nasty EM waves that are out to get you. Hey, maybe we could even charge the troops for the privilege, thereby negating the need to pay them!

Don't forget no nagging from wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/family etc.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It's a funny old thing, I just dragged my family to spend a week in Wales on a campsite in the middle of nowhere - no bar, no telly, no internet, no hot water, no mobile phones, etc. A bit like being on a boat but with daylight.

It was bliss, almost cleansing/purifying.

I've no doubt Childline would be pressing charges for neglect if they got wind of it, but I heartily commend it

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Asasioun Wisdom (teeth) or lack of Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS Speech: Lack of food and access to healthcare in Venezuela MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: International Humanitarian Law: We lack enforcement and accountability MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: A lack of results and accountability: monitoring corruption cases in Kosovan prosecutorial and judicial systems MoD News 0
C UCAS Points, The Lack Thereof Joining the Royal Navy 20
I Sea time or lack thereof Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 1
finknottle UK Border Controls or Lack of. Current Affairs 49
soleil Guardian: "Navy Forced To Drop Warship Patrols In Caribbean Through Lack Of Funds" The Fleet 25
soleil "Lack Of Defence Spending May Cripple European Ambitions" Current Affairs 9
Ghost Future (or lack of it) for the FAA? Current Affairs 2
T Lack of curiousity by Austrian Police in Fritzl case. Why? Current Affairs 10
H Lack Of Recognition For RN/RNR Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 77
AfterSSE Bush and his memory or lack there of... Diamond Lil's 7
D Lack of respect these days The Quarterdeck 35
MoD_RSS Defra seeks views on expanding use of monitoring technology on fishing boats MoD News 0
SONAR-BENDER Unmanned 'spy' boats...... Current Affairs 15
MoD_RSS First boats set to pass through the new Boston Barrier MoD News 0
W Boats or Ships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
soleil The Maritime Executive: "How the Royal Navy Searches Boats for Narcotics" The Fleet 6
MoD_RSS Britain and France to strengthen joint action against small boats MoD News 0
janner Collins Class Boats Submariners 1
MoD_RSS Smart boats could revolutionise UK fishing and seafood industries MoD News 0
Wee-lad Stay on the merchant path or go boats Joining the Royal Navy 7
Ageing_Gracefully Real Big Boats Diamond Lil's 4
B Choice of boats Submariners 28
Tui Bird Noisy submerged diesel boats Submariners 10
J GS or Boats. Newbie question from an older guy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
soleil Press & Journal: "Royal Navy Patrol Boats In Tour Of The North" SCC and URNU 0
janner Canadian U Boats. Submariners 7
skyvet A tribute to Astute boats Submariners 10
janner A Boats Submariners 1
eto89 Tide Boats - SE/ME RFA 7
janner Name these Boats Diamond Lil's 16
janner Wooden Boats Diamond Lil's 20
F Boats question ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
J A boats. Submariners 8
B A good time to join boats? Submariners 10
P Been offered ETWE Boats... Need advice! Submariners 22
bargee1937 Ships Boats of the 1930's and 1940's? History 10
P SIFT interview ship,boats,vessels crib sheets Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
slim Better Than boats in yer Bathtub. Current Affairs 4
Joint_Force_Harrier Woo's On Boats The Fleet Air Arm 14
fishhead The World's Top 10 Diesel Boats Submariners 4
T Lb Dems are alone: Labours new Shadow Defence Secretary say four boats will stay Current Affairs 0
BONNACON Ships boats where are they now? History 11
C Flying boats Current Affairs 13
soleil The Sun: "Pirates On The Rocks - Navy Sinks 17 Boats In Sea Bandit War" The Fleet 2
trelawney126 Nuclear Fuel for boats and Trident production suspended Submariners 0
SONAR-BENDER Iran's new boats Submariners 6
trelawney126 Chinese Navy & SSBN's boats Current Affairs 3