Lack of Faceache on boats!

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by SONAR-BENDER, Aug 23, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I read the same story in the Sunday Telegraph. Well, skimmed over it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Again, it carries the usual Daily Mail caveat: "ignore the facts, selectively print bollocks to improve sales" ;)

I often think the service is always just behind the curve when it comes to identifying Maslow' s hierarchy of digital needs for young people. By the time someone realises there is a shortfall in expectation & decides to address it, the technology has moved on. If they talked to young people and listened, they may just learn something.

The armed forces are only just beginning to accept social media is a powerful tool in cyber warfare. ISIS had no problem identifying this but instead of embracing it, the armed forces decided to try and control it and waste time trying to remove what many regard as basic human rights.

If the service dwelt a pause of several marching paces, they would also realise that young people can understand the concept of opsec/persec and recognise the fact that the covert nature of the submarine service, in particular, and the physical medium in which they operate, very much restricts internet access.

The other thing the service is slow to pick-up on is the bulk of Faceache users is more likely to fit the age profile of the parents of recruits nowadays, not the recruits themselves.

Until the mob addresses the work/life balance by increasing manpower to meet the operational tasking and re-creates shore billets to improve the sea/shore ratio at all levels, we will struggle to recruit & retain. It doesn't need a consultant to figure the obvious.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. True, but doubtless a retired SO1 is about to send us an invoice for so doing.........

4. See what you did there, very droll, Sir

5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Thank you for your kind words. I usually draw attention to my word play but I reckoned that 'skimmed' would be pinged immediately.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stop it. :D

7. OK - I'm copywriting this idea!

Let's try to 'sell' the idea of serving on a boat as a 'retreat' and 'getting away from the Rat Race' and all those nasty EM waves that are out to get you. Hey, maybe we could even charge the troops for the privilege, thereby negating the need to pay them!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Don't forget no nagging from wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/family etc.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's a funny old thing, I just dragged my family to spend a week in Wales on a campsite in the middle of nowhere - no bar, no telly, no internet, no hot water, no mobile phones, etc. A bit like being on a boat but with daylight.

It was bliss, almost cleansing/purifying.

I've no doubt Childline would be pressing charges for neglect if they got wind of it, but I heartily commend it

• Like Like x 6
  10. Ninja snatch squad outside Foreign Legion recruiting office , a life under the waves versus French language lessons and serving in sand pits.

11. Faceache.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2