Lacing the standard issue assault boot

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by xdous, Dec 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Currently trying out different ways of lacing my boots and wondered what lacing method everyone thinks works best ie. with fit and really just overall comfort?

It would be good to hear what others think so I can give there methods a go :)

Cheers.

2. Not being familiar with RM training, I can't give you the definitive answer, however if it is anything like RN or Army training you will lace your boots in the manner in which you are shown. Any freestyle method will result in lots of this:

[​IMG]

3. It is useful to experiment with different lacing methods.

If you suffer from stiffness in the front of your calf muscles when tabbing, you may find it eases when you remove a cross-over around the ankle area.

My boots are each laced differently, to ensure they are as comfortable as possible. I do them up conventionally to start with, then jump up to the very top eyelet and work down towards the ankle. Weird, but I get ankle support as well as keeping pressure of my calf.

Oh, and anyone who tells you about the army doing their laces up in specific way to avoid gurkhas cutting their throats at night is fucking lying. It's an utter crock.

4. Haha excellent advice and phot!
    Ive heard like 2 deck says that you are shown and each different team have their own preference.

Incidentally, is there anywhere I can purchase rm issue boots as mine are a size too big and give me tennisball sized blisters when hill walking so keen to try a smaller size.

5. Haha excellent advice and phot!
    Ive heard like 2 deck says that you are shown and each different team have their own preference.

Incidentally, is there anywhere I can purchase rm issue boots as mine are a size too big and give me tennisball sized blisters when hill walking so keen to try a smaller size.

6. Indeed once you have finished training, crack on with any of the above methods, you will probably ditch your assault boots for something more Gucci anyway. However while you are in training, the staff like everyone to look the same, this means lacing your boots up in exactly the same way as your oppos. The most common method being standard straight lacing through the eyeholes at the bottom of the boot and criss cross through the vertical loops.

By all means go ahead and try out a new method if you fancy a beasting for you and your mates.

7. What he said.

8. Get yourself to the Army And Navy stores mate, or on line. Cheap as chips.

10. Indeed I will be doing a lot of yomping!

Cheers for all the replies lads, I am in the process off breaking in my new boots for when I start at the end of Jan so for now I have gone with the standard criss cross lacing http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/crisscrosslacing.htm.

11. I did a lot of yomping when I was in. Mostly NAAFI Chunky pies :oops:

12. I did a lot of crimping..

13. Oh Dear no. Not crimping? Piss in a new pair of boots.and leave them for a day lads. the chemicals will leave them fitting like a glove. They might smell like amonia for a day or so, but will be very comfey afterwards. :D

14. Not to worry mate; many booties end up quite quick in the end :D

15. Just get a pair of slip on's and you do not need to worry about laces.
    A highly popular alternative is a comfy pair of slippers.
    Flip flops will not be practical if running on sand.
    Many boot-necks have bare feet but then that's when they have little or no clothing on and roll about on mats. :D

16. Concour. But still piss in/on them.. :D