Labour stroke of genius?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by dublinclontarf, Oct 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is it me or was it a stroke of genius for Labour to have signed contracts for the carriers making it more expensive to cancel them than building them.

The more I think of it the better it seems, it's a big FU to the Conservatives, and gives a glimmer of hope that they might be of use (especially if something happens in that next 5 years while they're being built) that might keep them around.
  2. Keep taking the tablets!
  3. We'll. wasn't the first thing Cameron did on getting into office was try to cancel the carriers only to find after a few months that the contracts were airtight.

I've no doubt that Labour did this to protect jobs in their areas (and nothing else) but it is intersting, and maybe there will be a different government when the carriers arrive.
  4. I don't know if it was or wasn't the "first thing he did" but the fact is that he couldn't do anything about it so the SDSR and the CSR were both fundamentally bolloxed by the incompetence of an irresponsible Labour government - it certainly wasn't a "stroke of genius" (IMO)
  5. Labour realised a while ago that it was going to lose the election - and began to follow a "scorched earth" policy, basically tying the hands of anyone taking over. Playing party politics with the country you have just bankrupt - the maturity one could only expect of a party run by Unions.
  6. What a load of utter tripe, 'scorched earth'. :lol:
  7. What was clever was putting off a decision on Trident until after the next general election. If the Tories arent in office then it is the next lots problem. A big problem too.
  8. Surely they will just follow the example of their predecessors, some kind of lock-in contract let just before their Term in Office is up :wink:
  9. Probably :D

A 'we are off now, left you a suprise in the other room' trick :p
  10. Yup a very very cunning plan indeed.Which laves three options open one you have mentioned.
    Option Two, leave Trident to wither on the vine over time.
    Option Three, suck it and see :D edited to add it's almost poetic
  11. Bbeautiful, truly beautiful. Poetic to be sure.
  12. Would this be on the lines of scrapping the Concorde agreement the govt of the day deciding it would be to costly to carry on with the project. The French govt then stated if you cancel we will still build the Concorde take all the credit and you will still have to pay your half of the bill. Concorde was built!!! Pity it was not developed more!
  13. I never thought i would ever read so much bollocks from an educated man .do you realy think that ant politician whatever colour sets out to bankrupt the country(your words ).Scorched earth earth my arse that type of remark lends itself to fighting wars not governibg a country
  14. I'l admit its plausible that a Govt would delay a tricky prospect like a Trident decision for the next lot in govt to shoot emselves in the foot. Dont know about totally sabotaging the nation to get one over though.
  15. It's not the first time the opinion has been aired and based on how things have unfolded/are unfolding, I doubt it will be the last.
  16. It is no different to the situation, back in the mid-sixties when the labour party, under Harold Wilson came first to power. They had campaigned on a non-nuclear weapons manifesto; only to find when he and Healey sat down and looked at the state of play that not only was the project too far down the line to be cancelled economically but also that it was at such a bargain price that they wouldn't want to cancel anyway. In later years they were the ones who signed up to the Chevaline up-grade and became more nuclear than the Tories. Editted to add that Chevaline was diferent in that it was expensive to start with, badly manged and enormously over budget, typical of the Labour party in almost everything they try to do.
  17. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Problem is that Labour and the current Government have different views on how to get the country out of the mire requiring almost diametrically opposite approaches (spending vs saving). While in power, Labour apparently planned for ther continuation of the their spending plans into the next Parliament making it extremely difficult/impossible to divert spending. Given that spending is contrary to the Government's view on what needs to be done to "save the country" then this could be viewed as a "scorched earth" policy or "a stroke of genius" depending on the viewpoint of the observer. Personally, I think the adverserial and petty nature of party politics today encourages parties to set traps for their successors to the detriment of the country - the current Government has been commited to a course of action that may in the long term hamper their recovery plans.
  18. I suspect, whatever happens, the Liberals and Tories will suffer a huge dent in their chances at govt next election time. Not that the Liberals have a hope of course
  19. You took the words right out of my mouth absolute total bollocks.
  20. Not read anything by Max Hastings lately? :p