KURSK PICS

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by sweeney, May 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thanks for that sweens, a terrible terrible loss of life

NB

2. Its a mess innit?

3. God those pics are amazing they really take your breath away, it puts our submarines into perspective on just how small ours really are, especially where you can see the 2 men stood inside it.

Can remember going there just after it sank and laying a reef over the site of where itd sunk!!!!!

4. I guess you've never seen a V boat out of the water then?

5. I'm surprised that that much is intact after two large explosions, especially the second one. Maybe they can knock up a decent hull after all.

6. I guess you've never seen a V boat out of the water then?[/quote]

I can beat that one, ive seen a Russian Typhoon class submarine and thats the biggest submarine in the world!!!!!!!!! And that is gen!!!!!!

7. Yeah, I've seen 'The hunt for Red October' as well!!!

8. I can beat that one, ive seen a Russian Typhoon class submarine and thats the biggest submarine in the world!!!!!!!!! And that is gen!!!!!![/quote]

It wasn’t meant as a brag, just to high light that not all of our boats are small.

9. It wasn’t meant as a brag, just to high light that not all of our boats are small.[/quote]

Its ok no worries.

10. A couple of years ago I visited the military museum in Ykaterinburg. They had a few bits and pieces salvaged from Kursk on display, along with an escape suit. It looked like something from a 1950s science fiction movie, very basic and low tech. Definitely makes you think.

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

PICTURE OF HMS VANGUARD

12. Brilliant picture , kinell ,

13. Fab piccy

14. The two explosions were at the bow, which has been completly removed and not in this picture. Other pictures published show a rent in the pressure hull from upper starboard bow going aft to just about the point the hull has been cut in front of the fin.

The last report I heard was that the bow with its weapons had been left on the bottom while the aft control and reactor section, what you see, was recovered by cutting the boat in half or third and two thirds may be a better description.

Nutty

15. janner

Just added a pic of Tireless being launched

TIRELESS

16. Some brilliant pictures

17. Very Impressive phots Janner. You still serving? Apologies, haven't been on RR as long as others. Only spoke to a crew member of VANGUARD the other day and also a memeber of the new ASTUTE class.

18. janner

Left a long time ago OHIAM, have several mates that are with BAE or some of the other Defence people (all ex Boats) and get pics from there for the Gallery, as well as some of the older stuff.
    Always on the look out for more pics of Boats or Boat related stuff if anyone has any feel free to PM or email me

19. Watching a lot of SKY documentaries, have seen a lot of programmes about the sinking of the KURSK, and subsequent salvage. If Ivan had swallowed his pride and accepted the help immediately offered, the blokes trapped in the after ends might've been saved. Problem was, they were arseing about with HTP fish that we found the hard way in the 50s were a real liability, but never learned the lessons we did.