Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knee crepitus

RW2001

Hi, I am currently in the early stages of the recruitment process for the Navy, 7 years ago I fractured my femur and over time I have seemed to get a slight grinding sensation and noise coming from my knee, which doesn’t cause any pain and my doctor at the time said not to worry about. Looking on the internet it shows it could be crepitus. I can also run long distances and cycle without this causing any issue or discomfort. Will this hold me back from joining the navy?

Last edited:

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
There are no medical people on this forum who can give you a yes or a no. Go to the AFCO and start the process and beware of Dr Google, you can persuade yourself you have any sort of disorder using him.

soleil

War Hero
7 years ago I fractured my femur and over time I have seemed to get a slight grinding sensation and noise coming from my knee, which doesn’t cause any pain and my doctor at the time said not to worry about. Looking on the internet it shows it could be crepitus.

I would advise you to not self diagnose, RW2001 and not to look up various possibilities on Google. It won't help you and will just make you fret. Make a list in your mind of things you like doing and when you think 'I'll just Google this medical possibility', switch off your laptop and do something else. You could go for a walk and listen to your favourite band, just do something nicer than ferreting around on medical websites.

I think that practising Doctors would tell you that they needed a proper look at your knee (inc scans) plus sight of any relevant paperwork before saying what they think was happening to your knee.

I think that what will happen in this instance is that your case will be referred to the Senior Medical Officer (Service Entry) for consideration; at this point, he will be able to see any paperwork etc which is relevant and then the decision on the way forward will be made.

Be prepared to be patient at that point.

soleil

War Hero
PS I
@soleil thankyou for your help and advice, I will refrain from looking on google every time I think about it.

Excellent.

I was also going to say that I, personally, would reward myself for taking a brisk walk instead of being hunched over a laptop with a Magnum, but thought that it might not sound like healthy eating advice!

You can pick something you like as a reward, it's just a mechanism to help you move away from doing things which don't help.

Sumo

War Hero
When Dr say don't worry about bout your injury repair, what they should say don't worry for about 40years, then it will be called arthritis. Whilst your knee is working, with a few grumbles just keep it working.
Good look with your application.

RW2001

When Dr say don't worry about bout your injury repair, what they should say don't worry for about 40years, then it will be called arthritis. Whilst your knee is working, with a few grumbles just keep it working.
Good look with your application.
Cheers

soleil

War Hero
Have you seen the new 'Rose Chocolate' version? Not seen one in real life yet!

Ooh, no ……… but I'm going to look for it! Sounds delicious!

Found something about it here, will look in the fridge at the supermarket.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
There are no medical people on this forum who can give you a yes or a no. Go to the AFCO and start the process and beware of Dr Google, you can persuade yourself you have any sort of disorder using him.
I beg to differ!
I gave my youngest AC a plaster yesterday, after a fall!
**** you MA's!!

Hope this helps.

crash_evans

War Hero
Don't mind if I do!

Upenders!

Gulpers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JRA Medical Appeal - Knee Crepitus and Acne Treatment Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp 'On the knee' incident at RNB Portsmouth History 0
ws1602 Knee Injury post medical Health & Fitness 9
J Runner's Knee - How to fix ASAP? Health & Fitness 3
G Knee Injury advice Joining the Royal Navy 2
M Appeal against knee injury Joining the Royal Navy 4
J Knee injury Health & Fitness 12
C Ibts runners knee Health & Fitness 2
S Some information about a knee injiry Health & Fitness 4
Ezyturn25 Arthroscopic Surgery (Knee) Health & Fitness 9
J New knee Health & Fitness 10
soleil Sun: "I Struggled To Get Down On One Knee – But Sophie’s Worth It" The Corps 0
T-H Possible knee issues. Health & Fitness 3
BillyNoMates Knee No 2 Diamond Lil's 112
Holli knee injury Health & Fitness 5
dabbzie Iliotibial Band Syndrome (Runners knee) Health & Fitness 6
F Bent knee push ups... Health & Fitness 6
labrum Double knee surgery Health & Fitness 10
N knee supports whislt doing basic training Health & Fitness 2
N can you wear knee supports whilst doing basic training ? Sports and Adventure Training 3
JonnoJonno Runner's Knee and taping Health & Fitness 29
Kaiser Runners Knee Health & Fitness 3
N Knee Problem...a problem? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
B knee problems Health & Fitness 9
R Dislocated Knee Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
S Knee problems with no solutions... Health & Fitness 6
S Knee problems with no help Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Gollum Got my PJFT on Monday.....and I've buggered my knee! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
rugger_bob Knee problems, advice Sports and Adventure Training 16
N The "On your knee" Mutiny History 12
Shakey The knee joint during exercise Sports and Adventure Training 5
G Knee Problems The Corps 4