Kiwi Farewell

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Topstop, Aug 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good bye only the way Kiwis can do it. Rather moving.

2. Batters the granny out of the Wootton Bassett bollocks!

3. Very moving.

The comment above from that cúnt is moronic.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  4. Have to agree with you finks. His IQ is below that of a slug.

5. BUT
    In his defence he has actually been and done a tour so he may have the right to say it.

He is still a **** though.:shakefist:

6. Why would having done a tour give him the right?

7. The clue is in his username !

8. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

As the Kurgon said, "It's better to burn out than fade away!" Awesome send off. If the fella was looking down from above how proud must he have felt? Made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

9. I'd rather be sent on my way with the rousing ceremony as seen above, as opposed to the hand-wringing cry-athon of Wootton Basset. Many people I know would rather be catapulted over the village and scraped up on the other side of it than drive through the bouquet brigade.

Just me, but I did cringe when I saw what little Englanders think is a good send off for a young soldier. It may have started as a soldier to soldier show of respect, but it evolved in to a ceremony for television, grief-whores and walters.

Dry your eyes Finks,

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Wootton Bassett is now a tourist attraction.

I am aware of a family that didn't want to attend and be "surrounded by curious, fake and crying strangers"

Says it all really.

11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

**** can say what the **** he likes in my book, his boots have walked the talk. I actually agree that Wootton Bassett doesn't do it for me, fair play to the people that turn up and show respect but, sorry, not for me. I was suprised when I first came down to NZ a few years ago, I always thought the Haka only got performed at rugby games a sort of pre war challenge, but they do it quite often at funerals. This haka (there's a few) is awesome, to me it seems a fitting way to farewell a warrior.

12. It was not mandatory for your loved one to take that route.

13. We are fortunate to say the least that we were not placed in the position where we would have had to decide if Wootton Bassett would have done it for us or not?

14. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Aye, I'm aware of that, but, just sit back a minute and think, the Haka may be culturally strange to people not from NZ, folks lining a quiet market towns streets to honour the dead may be strange to others and men in skirts blowing into pigs bladders may come across as a bit odd to southerners but, each to their own. I think JJ has highlighted the grief whore side of WB.

15. I know that one mans meat is another's poison but this is an emotive subject where surely a bit of thought is required before posting.

16. Talk the Talk so long as you've walked the walk.
    He might have put IMO before his post, but hey ho this is RR and what do you expect on here.
    I see nothing wrong with him stating it beats the granny out of Wootton Bassett, after all it was never you that might have taken that route.
    I don't particularly enjoy your slanted view on politics but you've a right to say it, so don't be a fuckin hypocrite and slag off his right.
    My brother died in action and we were given the right to dictate every inch of his movement other than the actual plane journey(we could have done that if we were willing to pay) so what happens to the remains is a family choice.
    And I would not have been gratified by the likes of you dictating what YOU thought was a decent send off.
    Politics may be up for debate, but personal choices over "private" matters cannot be debated just criticised.
    IMHO.

17. I am sorry to hear about your brother.

I am not slagging off his right to voice his views just his choice of words in doing so and did I not say it was a NOK's choice? Anyway I have no wish to enter into an argument with you and will not do so.

18. “Just me, but I did cringe when I saw what little Englanders think is a good send off for a young soldier” I think that what you saw was a traditional send off for a deceased person in this country, and I assume with the blessing of their grieving families, the people who count.

19. I did actually concur that he might well have put IMO at the beginning of his post but he did not, C'est la vie.
    My point was when you've been there and done it,as he has, your views on matters related are more relevant.
    Anyway no argument as I said its all just an opinion and we've all got one.

20. Yep, should have put IMO, but I tend to not to qualify comments like that because whatever I write is my opinion and doesn't really need qualifying further.

• Like Like x 1