Kit Question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by fishface, May 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. fishface

fishface Badgeman Book Reviewer

Morning chaps,

I'm off to Raleigh next week and just have a question about a bit of kit that was recommended to me.

A friend of mine recommended that I get a 'sylvette polishing cloth' for bulling my boots.

I was just wondering if anyone has used one and whether they think it's worth buying? I don't fancy paying for one to find out he was spinning some bullshit!

Cheers

2. They are supposed to be good, my daughter has one at Raleigh but hasn't said it was amazing or rubbish. In my opinion and mine only don't go on a special mission for one, you'll have spent a load already on kit. Best of luck

3. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Special cloth my arse. I've never used a cloth to bull my boots. Layer the polish in with your fingers. Let each layer dry. Then bull the ****** off with a bit of polish on damp cotton wool. Keep doing this. To finish off, use cotton wool with nothing on it but water. Only use Kiwi Parade Gloss. Polishing cloths. Bah.

4. might i suggest that you polish your boots in the way that your instructors show/teach you

consider this, an instructor takes the time and effort to show you how to do something and then you totally ignore what he has said and do it your own way

i am sure your oppos will thank you when you are collectively on the receiving end of a dam good good thrashing

why not wait, ask your training team and see what they will allow you to use

as if to prove the point i can remember when i was a nod (yawn) and we were formed up on the parade square being inspected. The DL was going apesh*t over some brown substance in one of the guys brasses. Upon being asked what it was the nod said 'brown sauce Corporal'.................... I can remember the DL asking what the feck was wrong with Brasso?????? anyway shortly after that (say 3 minutes or so) we were all formed up in three ranks in the static tank. oh how we laughed...........................

anyway, hope that helps

5. Agree with BR on the damp cotton wool bit, as for Parade Gloss I preferred ordinary Kiwi but whichever brand you choose stick with that as mixing and matching brands will cause the boot to discolour in my experience..................bloody hell, I'm a submariner and I'm talking about cleaning kit, I think I need some medical assistance.

6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

This confirms a long held belief of mine, you Nuccipoos no longer uphold the traditions of filth held dear by us Diesel Boaters.

Next you will be telling us that you don't bimble you march!

7. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Whats wrong with good old fashioned 'spit and polish' ?

8. Janner, March is a month of the year. I was once bollocked by a GI for "bimbling" on Divisions (killicks course), my reply of "Yes but I do it with style" earnt me a couple of orbits of the parade ground!!!

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Rigsbys got it spot on. Do and use what your training team tells you.

Once you pass out just paint the ******* things with jacobean oak varnish..... BUT...... once you pass out you'll be able to bimble around on the most formal of occasions looking like a bag of shite carrying a touch of style and panache as only Jack can. Dont get excited about it mate. Best of luck at Raleigh, mouth closed ears open.

10. fishface

As accomadating as normal wits!

11. Cost a fiver and last years. Get one.

In fact I'll sell you mine for a tenner, it's a 13 year vintage and polish proven, here it is:

IMG_0384.jpg

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  12. fishface

Looks well broken in!

13. Don't be fooled by the boot polish, that's MLP's nix.

• Like Like x 2
  14. jockpopeye

jockpopeye Badgeman Book Reviewer

I got mine started off using a power drill with a big fluffy polishing attachment on the end, I now use a sylvet cloth to keep them ticking over and it is much better than a regular duster.

15. One of many threads along a similar vein, those members who offer free advice to what in many cases are stupid questions should start charging a fee, I would as I don't work for nothing.

16. fishface

I'm going to bite...how was that a stupid question?

17. You don't need to charge, horseshit is free. You can pick it up from any stables.

18. Wo, have you not seen Men of Honor? :)

19. Good, good, rather than worrying about what sort of duster you should be taking I would be more concerned about who might be in the next bunk to you and as you were advised you will be shown how to achieve that parade ground shine.

20. Brand new sylvets a fiver from Beaverbrooks the jeweller if anyone wants one.