Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kit needed on board. What to carry.

Polly

Midshipman
Morning all.

I'm being a bit presumptuous here as I still have not received any notification that I have got an interview yet, but I just wondered how much kit you need/can take on board with you for each four month trip.

I have applied for the Engineering Apprentice scheme and if successful would hope to start next September.

However, I have been mulling things over and just wondered what kit you would need to take as a Motorman? I ask this as I believe you would be quite often flying to meet the ship where ever it is, and maybe flying home again afterwards. Given the restrictions on what can be taken on aeroplanes these days, is it possible to get all you would need in a case?

I presume that as a Motorman you are not likely to need more than a few pairs of ovies for work, but what else would you need to carry? Do you need to take any personal tools? I read somewhere about people taking X-Boxes and the like on board. While that is not my cup of tea would you get chance to take recreational stuff like musical instruments?

I am sure if I'm lucky enough to get in I will find out all this kind of stuff at Sultan but just thought I'd ask.

Any input will be appreciated. May be academic anyhow as they may not want an old git like me but you never know.

Cheers!

Random

Lantern Swinger
PPE, tools etc are provided on ship so no need to carry them (unless you really want).

You will be issued with a uniform (PCS) and a gas mask. You will be expected to take that to every ship. Also you will need to take stcw certificates, discharge book and proof of vaccinations.

Apart from that, take whatever will be of use to you in your own time. Remember if you take it, you have to be strong enough to lug it accross dockyards, up and down a lot of stairs etc also the MOD will pay for only so much baggage allowance on flights, take more than that and you will have to pay for it out of your own pocket.

Polly

Midshipman
Thanks Random. Is there a lot of uniform?

I remember going on draft from Invincible many years ago when it was in Hamburg. About four of us were flown home and I remember having to pay excess then. Not sure how I accumulated the amount of stuff I did over a couple of years on board. Anyhow I remember lugging a kit bag, suit case and suit covers. I am hoping there wont be as much kit to carry as the RN.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Not for crew as you wear your own clothes when off duty. PCS is said to weigh 6kg for the full issue. It's still being rolled out so most of the RFA are still issued with AWDs aboard ship.

Officer's unfortunately have to drag the complete navy style issue around. 1s/2s/3s and PCS if issued. So our total officially is around 30kg of stuff, before we eye up packing our own gear.

Polly

Midshipman
30kg plus is a hell of a lot to be having to fly half way around the world with given modern airline weight limits. That must be a real pain in the backside. Does the allowance cover what you generally need?

Glad to here that as a crewman I would not have to carry so much. Is there a big difference between PCS and AWD? I presume that AWD is a bit like the RN No 8s (are they called No 4s now?) and overalls and foul weather gear. Sorry it is some time since I served.

I'll do some looking in to PCS on here but is it very different? You mind me asking your opinion whether it's better than AWDs?

Cheers again. You are always a great source of info.

ZXC53

Midshipman
I have applied for the Engineering Apprentice scheme and if successful would hope to start next September.

Sorry it's a bit off Topic but when you say next September, do you mean September 2017 or September 2018?

Polly

Midshipman
To ZXC53

I meant September 2017. That is when I was told that the next entry date would be for Engineer Apprentices after March 2017. I would be interested to know if you know any different.

ZXC53

Midshipman
Ok I thought so, no sorry I don't know any different I was just interested in knowing if it's possible to apply and if successful not join the upcoming intake but the next one or maybe the one after that. All the best.

seajudged

Badgeman
PPE, tools etc are provided on ship so no need to carry them (unless you really want).

You will be issued with a uniform (PCS) and a gas mask. You will be expected to take that to every ship. Also you will need to take stcw certificates, discharge book and proof of vaccinations.

Apart from that, take whatever will be of use to you in your own time. Remember if you take it, you have to be strong enough to lug it accross dockyards, up and down a lot of stairs etc also the MOD will pay for only so much baggage allowance on flights, take more than that and you will have to pay for it out of your own pocket.

Are you also expected to carry your noddy suit with your GSR?

Polly

Midshipman
To ZXC53

I am guessing that would be a question to ask the recruitment team in Portsmouth. There seems to be a usual timescale to each application process with many months between stages. From what I gather it could easily take 12 months from initial application to entry. That may give you as much time as you need.

Give them a call. I have found them to be very helpful. Best of luck.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
daffy1 Advice Needed regarding issue of kit Bases / Shore Est 2
clanky Phase 1 Kit list Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
D Ganges Boys Kit 1945. A bit different from today History 28
TechnicPR Does anyone have the HMS Raleigh JI/Kit List? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
W Joining kit l Joining the Royal Navy 36
A 3x Sports Shorts PRNC Kit List Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Ghost29 Raleigh kit questions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
G Gieves kit wanted The Quarterdeck 4
M Military kit bags, a good idea? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
MoD_RSS Press release: Phone detection kit introduced in prisons MoD News 0
Rum_pot Kit list Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
klgreload Issued Kit Joining the Royal Navy 13
G Kit insurance Joining the Royal Navy 2
C Kit bag for Navy Training - HELP Joining the Royal Navy 6
Cameroon..James99 Boot polish kit ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
janner Spare Kit. Submariners 5
M Personal first aid kit list? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
T Mess kit and No 1s? RFA 3
NateDogg HMS Raleigh kit muster Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
D Phase 2 Sultan Kit Joining the Royal Navy 25
WannabeAdmiral Royal Navy YouTube channel has kit guides now Joining the Royal Navy 3
J Spare kit for larger officer SCC and URNU 7
shinson Raleigh Kit List - Light Tan Polish? Joining the Royal Navy 21
iipodgeii Raleigh kit ironing and folding Joining the Royal Navy 6
iipodgeii PRNC Kit Question Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
shipshapespottydog HMS Raleigh- Kit List Joining the Royal Navy 17
A Are you allowed to use spray starch when ironing kit? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
V HMS Raleigh Kit List Joining the Royal Navy 7
A HMS Raleigh kit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
photface RNR kit issue Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS Press release: PM pledges £178 billion investment in defence kit MoD News 0
Z Failing kit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 66
M Kit Muster Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
D What kit do I need to return when I leave? Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
A Kit List? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
kosta433 Basic Training kit list Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS News story: Ministers sign agreement for prisoners to supply armed forces with kit MoD News 0
F Basic training kit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
burnleymitchy week 7 kit muster. fail Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
M Kit at Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
D Week 7 kit muster after summer leave Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
B Kit list, Diamond Lil's 12
Njs71 What kit do you take to your ship RFA 36
T Kit/equipment tips and tricks for when in the field Travel & The Great Outdoors 49
soleil HMS Astute - Radio Controlled In Kit Form Submariners 4
G HMS Raleigh kit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
C Raleigh Kit Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
J PRNC Kit list Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
jrwlynch Need to borrow some MTP kit... Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 17
P RT kit list anyone ? The Corps 8