Kit Muster.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by bigbaddog, Jul 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Shoreside naval tailors go back a long way further than this so presumably if Jack had a bit of money he wanted a tiddly suit in sailorish style for wear ashore even if there wasn't an Admiralty pattern for it. I was told by a member of an old Portsmouth tailoring family (a professor of law) that the oldest colony of Jews in England was that of the Portsmouth naval tailors, who went back to the early eighteenth century. Hence, presumably, the naval word jewing meaning tailoring (rather overtaken by sew-sew for obvious reasons).

Captains used to provide special dress for their boat's crews; hence the word blazer, from the rig of the gig's crew of HMS Blazer.

Early photos of matelots often show the jumper as loose-fitting, particularly around the shoulders - better for working aloft. But tiddly always means tighter!

2. :threaten: :toilet: (Shoreside naval tailors)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Fascinating stuff and brought back some great memories of wearing the square rig, how proud did you feel when you stepped ashore for the first time out of training in your rig ? Reminded me of 'Bernards' Naval Jailors, are they still in existance ? Ditto, I was in debt to the shop just outside St Levans Gate in Devonport. Good reading. :toilet: HB

3. I was just reading a news item yesterday that they had gone out of business. I know the one in Queen Street, Portsmouth is boarded up.

BBC Link

4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Historical ref: 'British Naval Dress', Dudley Jarrett, JM Dent 1960.