Kit List?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by AyeCaptain, Mar 10, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello people,

I know that there are like loads of these posts, but there are so many I don't know which one to use.

Which is the best kit kist to use on this site? I head to Raleigh in less than 40 days in April, but the PRNC kit list seems to miss so much, it doesn't even have black socks on it.....

Could someone please link me to the best one? Thank you ! :D

2. You get issued black socks.

• Old Old x 1
  3. Go by the kit list you have been given for PRNC.

Then when you go to Raleigh you go by the kit list you are given required as a Recruit.

Simple isn't it

• Like Like x 1
  4. I can understand where you're coming from. I was surprised to see no Socks on the kit list, but remember, you're going to get a lot of kit issued as well. Just assume kit that isn't on there will be issued to you!

The Kit List issued at PRNC is correct, and stick to it. There would be nothing worse then taking extra kit that isn't needed and would just get in the way, over the 10 weeks of training.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The only reason I've stayed in the Navy for 34 years is because we get free socks.

OK, the job's not bad, but the free socks are mega.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Got to love freebies!

7. They give a chance to get odds and ends from the naafi too don't they?

8. Or have I just made that up...

9. You get the exact same kit list at your final brief and your afco even runs through and explains it all. In case there's any difficulty.

10. Cheers, Lads. Thanks for your replies.

11. You do get supplied with socks... however, I wished I had more civvie thin and thick black socks as I found the issued ones make your feet sweat. Obviously you're not supposed to wear your own and you'll need the issued ones for kit musters, but... When you finish your training you all go out for a meal. You have a chance to go on shore leave (weeks 7 and 9) before then and can obviously buy civvie clothes to go out in, but I wish I'd known beforehand and could have taken an outfit - we did have one guy that just wore the suit he turned up in. Civvie stuff gets locked away in a baggage store while you're in training, but you can usually get to it at various points if you need to.

Another tip - take small towels or one useful sized one and two thin ones you need to display. Three full sized fluffy towels is a very tight squeeze in that locker! The naffi sells most of what you need, but it's more expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sorry to jump this thread, but is it the same for trainers? There's no mention of trainers on the list and I'm off to Raleigh in the morning.
    Just thinking should I pack my own, just in case?

13. Thanks for the quick reply. Therefore the bag is packed and ready!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hi there

I was just wondering what would be an ideal size bag size will be to carry my kit
    I'm looking into buying one at the mo

I have we have restricted space

Many thanks

15. I heard we have restricted space

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good question.

Anything bigger than a single military bergen (back-packers haversack) or a civilian airline "cabin baggage" sized case probably means you are taking too much stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Okay thanks a lot !!