Kit for Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by crab-lad, Oct 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi gents. I am an RAF bloke who is deploying to Afghan in Mar 08. I was wondering if you would offer up any advice kit wise that would be useful to buy/beg/steal, over and above the Combat Troops issue kit that I will get from clothing stores (Mk 6a Helmet, thermal mat, knee/elbow pads, patrol sack, basha, etc)?

Any kit list that you as a marine have bought to make your life easier in the field, that I as a crab wouldn't know about, would be greatly appreciated.

I will be working for numerous units which involves deploying forward into the field and I have not got the field experience to know what is good kit to take.

Even the most insignificant item that you take and think is good would be a help!!

I have had loads exped experience so I am ok with living in the outdoors and what to bring civi wise, although not under fire from Terry!

I will use this advice/kit list as a foundation packing list for me and my collegues in the future.

Many Thanks in anticipation and I look forward to meeting any of you who will be in Afghan from Feb/Mar 08.

Regards

crab-lad :thumright:

2. Not been to Stan yet so i'll start with a light hearted answer. This is patented by myself and Noggie.

During our tenure of training under a certain Colours Roberts in the 80's, we found that, and i'm sure most matelots will agree, we always had a hole in our pockets. We developed on this, that it would be handy if, when Colours was making a Bee-Line and there was no cover available, to take out said hole, un fold it, lay it on the ground, and then jump in. Obviously making sure to take your SLR/GPMG with you as Colours always made sure we were "A dive and a roll" from our weapons.

3. You might get better/more relevant advice on arrse.co.uk in the infantry forum

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I also have never served in Afganistan but I never went anywhere without having my baccy double bagged and my spare baccy double bagged and placed inside my bergan ( double bagged within double bags). I would triple bag my rizlas.

Best of luck.

Blobbs.

5. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Hmmmmm, let me think " hi guys I'm in the RAF and.................."

Yes ARRSE is probably your best bet :bball:

6. wet_blobby

Crab-lad, I'm having a pint or twelve with a mate just back from the stan via selly oak/headley court on saturday I'll ask and let you know.

7. Don't feel like you should take your head for a shoite immediately chefstiff

Arrse has a much higher hit rate than rumration, many more current serving forces posters, many with relevant field experience

How many serving royal come on here? and how will a bunch of 60 year old uncle alberts and spanner wnakers be able to advise this bloke....................

8. I flash every time I come on this forum.....

9. wet_blobby

OIY GIMP....I feel the handy hints about double bagging yer baccy to be vital to a mans morale whilst out in the field.....ever tried lighting a soggy fag when your gasping for one?

10. :afro: everyone smokes when they go to war :thumright:

Best baccy bags are burns bags for hands available from your local friendly LMA

11. wet_blobby

And dont forget baccy bags (x2) make great sh1t holders.

12. Crab-Lad

Just take you pillow, credit Card, Hotel reward points card. If you are going to Kandahar you will be on holiday like most of the RAF (regiment excluded from this comment, wouldn't do their job if you paid me double).

Honestly, all I took was what they issued me. Did not need much else.

Have a good time and keep you head down.

13. HI all.
    im WET-BLOBBYS mate returned from the stan via selly oak/headly court (pressure plate ied). advice.... Bastion dont eat in the efi unless you want the s**ts ,take small tub of alcohol soap and pin it to yourself,rag heads are filthy !!,cheap shades,a decent racing spoon,oh and a mini flash light you can't see s**t at night (storm drains everywhere) i speak from experience ........24 cases of stella would nt be a bad idea either

14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Pongoshaggy: Welcome back, and welcome to RR. Hope you got the treatment you deserved at Selly Oak/Headley Court... and I hope you stick around to spin us some dits (OPSEC/PERSEC permitting)! :thumbright:

15. hi pongoshaggy.

I hope they are giving you all you need in there mate. I hope your injury is not permanent.

Thanks for the tips friend about the stan.

crab-lad

16. Hello mate

Glad to hear your okay, i'm one of the green suited bods that turns up at sellyoak with the general public in the free big yellow taxi. Would rather of been helping you guys but ho hum. Blobbs will fill you in as to my identity.

NB

17. cheers all ,im back to headly court for round 2 on sunday,3/4 weeks of getting thrashed by pti' s and not to mention the physio terrorists.getting better cant run yet ,but not long now ,if im told i have a permanant injury well where theres a blame theres a claim,

old link but most of its true i think apart from marathon f**k that !!

http://www.somersetcountygazette.co...dier_blown_up_by_taliban_recovers_at_home.php

18. wet_blobby

Shaggys got the "hello girls" limp off to a T now. Next week I'm introducing him to soap. :rofl:

19. Good on you mate, crack on. Good luck. :afro: