Kit/equipment tips and tricks for when in the field

Turk, what are you joining as just out of interest? No point telling you all this shit if you're gonna be a Writer. The shit I'm telling you is quite role specific to someone who will be spending a lot of time outdoors, in a role that involves likely contact with someone you'll have to kill, however most of it is good general practice.

Again with the canoe sacks; you can get small ones that fit in your pocket. Get some, keep all your smock shit in one, like a big waterproof wallet.

As a rule your gear should be carried thus:

Smock / Person - Stuff you need to survive.
Lighter, compass, personal first aid kit, some scran, Leatherman, shemagh (not just for looking ally, use it as a head cover when reading your map at night so no one sees your torch light), gloves, hat, a small torch for map reading (lens covered over with electrical tape with a pin prick hole).

Belt kit / webbing - Stuff you need to fight and survive for up to 48 hours.
Ammo, ammo, ammo + more ammo and grenades, rifle cleaning kit, more food, water, some form of shelter (bivvy bag or at a push Gore Tex Jacket. Weather / time of year obviously dependent), stove (jetboil, **** off the hexy), boot kit (polish, brushes, foot powder, spare laces).

Bergen - Stuff you need to live comfortably plus anything you need to achieve your mission. Again everything inside a big canoe sack and then compartmentalised into smaller sacks.
Mission essential kit (a radio, batteries for the radio, medic kit, camera gear, OP equipment, shovels, pick axes, ammo for a team weapon e.g. GPMG, LAW), Doss bag, bivvy kit, warm clothing, spare clothing, waterproofs, extra ammo, scran and water.

Hmm not sure about the TACBE advice, the surface isn't shiny enough to reflect sunlight, the CD disc is a good tip, but in order to make sure it was reflecting light correctly, you'd still need the old finger trick, on the plus side, you could tie it to a farmers scare crow to enhance it's crow scaring ability when there are no aircraft to attract.

The Sea Dweller has the helium relief valve which is always a bonus if you need to relieve some helium.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Depending on whether uber tactical or just clunking about, try getting a good set of earplugs and an eye mask to sleep with. Sounds stupid, but dont underestimate the sheer bliss you get from drifting off when in bothies or large hostel dorms and to a degree being in the field in non tactical sense. I fly a lot on overnight flights and these make the difference between sleep and no sleep (as does a good woolly hat).

Kit wise, leathermans useful, maglites even better. If you can get a headtorch then do so, for its much easier to mess around with both hands free and light, than with no hands free. If doing tactical stuff, then the little press to light feed torches are good - I had one in Basra for walking from Div HQ to my rack and it kept my night vision but let me see where I was stepping.

If you want to be popular with mates and team, packing a pack of cigarettes and some nutty for your oppos will make you a very popular guy after 2-3 days in the field.

G

guestm

VIP strobes, scrim and NVG mounts look shit on your helmet if you're a REMF. As do 'infidel' patches.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Turk, what are you joining as just out of interest? No point telling you all this shit if you're gonna be a Writer. The shit I'm telling you is quite role specific to someone who will be spending a lot of time outdoors, in a role that involves likely contact with someone you'll have to kill, however most of it is good general practice.

Again with the canoe sacks; you can get small ones that fit in your pocket. Get some, keep all your smock shit in one, like a big waterproof wallet.

As a rule your gear should be carried thus:

Smock / Person - Stuff you need to survive.
Lighter, compass, personal first aid kit, some scran, Leatherman, shemagh (not just for looking ally, use it as a head cover when reading your map at night so no one sees your torch light), gloves, hat, a small torch for map reading (lens covered over with electrical tape with a pin prick hole).

Belt kit / webbing - Stuff you need to fight and survive for up to 48 hours.
Ammo, ammo, ammo + more ammo and grenades, rifle cleaning kit, more food, water, some form of shelter (bivvy bag or at a push Gore Tex Jacket. Weather / time of year obviously dependent), stove (jetboil, **** off the hexy), boot kit (polish, brushes, foot powder, spare laces).

Bergen - Stuff you need to live comfortably plus anything you need to achieve your mission. Again everything inside a big canoe sack and then compartmentalised into smaller sacks.
Mission essential kit (a radio, batteries for the radio, medic kit, camera gear, OP equipment, shovels, pick axes, ammo for a team weapon e.g. GPMG, LAW), Doss bag, bivvy kit, warm clothing, spare clothing, waterproofs, extra ammo, scran and water.
There you go. That's all you need to know.

You forgot the morale bag of tangfastic Haribo though mucker. I only ever have the stuff in the field.

To the OP - make sure you collect the little green bags that the blank ammo goes in. They're bloody handy to keep stuff in and waterproofed when placed in your smock. They also make excellent bags of morale (See above).

There you go. That's all you need to know.

You forgot the morale bag of tangfastic Haribo though mucker. I only ever have the stuff in the field.

To the OP - make sure you collect the little green bags that the blank ammo goes in. They're bloody handy to keep stuff in and waterproofed when placed in your smock. They also make excellent bags of morale (See above).
See my first post on this thread re Moralibo.