Kit/equipment tips and tricks for when in the field

Always live by the five Bs - Bombs and Bullets, Boots, Belly and Bed (always in that order).

These are the most important things in your life, before you do anything think to yourself "are my bombs and bullets in order?" i.e is your rifle clean, are your mags filled and are your grenades in good order? If not sort it before you do anything else.

Next, "how are my boots / feet?" You need these to get around, if you go down with gammy toe, blisters or trench foot, you're ****ed. Change your socks, rub your feet in powder, cut your toenails and polish your boots to keep them waterproof.

After that "how is my belly?" Are you fed and watered? Get some scran on and chug some ogin, you don't know when your next opportunity will be.

Finally bed, "is it safe to get my head down for a bit?" Sleep is good, grab some at every available opportunity, providing the other Bs have been addressed and you aren't busy doing other shit like killing people.

Always remember these things and always in this order. First thing you do when you get a bit of downtime, sort your 5 Bs out.

When heliographing a distress signal to a passing plane, raise one hand and point at the plane with one finger, then try and direct the reflection onto that finger. This will ensure the reflection is directed towards the plane. If you haven't got a heliograph, any large shiny watch will do, I personally recommend the Rolex Sea Dweller.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
When heliographing a distress signal to a passing plane, raise one hand and point at the plane with one finger, then try and direct the reflection onto that finger. This will ensure the reflection is directed towards the plane. If you haven't got a heliograph, any large shiny watch will do, I personally recommend the Rolex Sea Dweller.
That's a grand idea mucker.

Alternatively, you can use a TACBE.

Posted from Hell using Lucifer's mobile.

DIVERT ON//

Or you can use one of the free promotional CD thingies - look through the hole at the aircraft loking for you.

My Rolex Submariner (Blue and Yellow) works just as well - Sea Dweller not required depth wise!

DIVERT OVER//

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Make sure you know what's in what pocket of your smock. This goes for the pouches in your belt kit as well. You should be able to get what you need blindfolded.

Always replenish your water when you can.

Eat when you can.

Sleep when you can.

Always ensure your weapon system is good to go and never let it leave your side. Never.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
And pack your belt kit properly so it doesn't sound like a skeleton wanking in a mess tin when you're patrolling.

1. If you only use one mess tin at a time then swop it for a metal mug, it takes up less room and fits in your webbing. Products | Military | Cooking Equipment - BCB International Ltd.

2. Keep certain things in your pockets at all times:
Headtorch (with a red filter if you're really keen).
Lighter (for lighting hexi blocks).
Pack of tissues (for wiping your arse).
Small pack of wet wipes (for a quick dhoby)
Compass (even if you're not in charge of nav at the time)
Penknife for cutting cord/opening ration packs.
Small plastic bag for collecting gash such as nutty bar wrappers, Leaving any form of litter is seriously bad drills.

3. Electric razors are great, they are not allowed on Dartmoor during Raleigh however.

4. As soon you get a ration pack, break it down and ditch the box if possible. Don't just shove it in your bergen and bimble off.

5. If you can, mark your bivi in some way so you can find it again at night. A cylume is best, if allowed.

6. Keep kit you'll get out frequently in the side pockets of your bergen e.g. stove. Main pocket for bulky items such as spare clothes/sleeping bag. Mark your bergen in some way as they are all virtually identical (a small piece of coloured fabric tied to the carry handle will do)

7. Smartphones tend not to last more than a couple of days in the field, either through getting smashed or (more likely) the battery dying.

8. A small jar of Nivea or Vaseline is good for treating chapped skin if you're exposed to wind for any decent amount of time.

9. Carry around 3 litres of water as a general rule, don't just rely on whats in your water bottle.

10. Use your bergen/daysack/Softie jacket as a pillow.

Last edited: