Kismet Hardy

Discussion in 'History' started by trelawney126, Oct 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think it is generally believed that his last words were "Drink, drink. Fan, fan. Rub, rub" to alleviate his thirst and pain. It could be argued that those words were probably said whilst in a state of delirium, so not real 'last words' leaving 'Kiss me Hardy' or 'Thank God I have done my duty' as favourites. I think Kismet is unlikely as the word wasn't used (by English speakers) in the early 19th century and would imagine that it is almost certainly 'revised history' as "Kiss Me" probably upset ye olde Daily Mail readers.

Of course, we will never really know, unless Horizon last night got it right and we could always nip back in time and find out first hand.
  2. Not "Kiss my hard on" then?:slow:
  3. :laughing1:How old?
  4. 2nd/3rd childhood.:slow:
  5. Widely believed his last words were "Kismet" believing this was the Janner term for "Fate". Nelson had always wanted to be a Devonport man, and to that effect had invested heavily in shares for "Ye Ivor Dewneys Pasties Corporation" believing that on retiring from the Navy he could open up a Pasty shop with Ivor Dewney on the Barbican. Sadly this never came to fruition, but the Nelson legacy livs on with the original "Nelson" recipe being used to this day by Ivor Dewneys forebears. So on this day all people in Guzz will eat a traditional Trafalgar Pasty on the Barbican in Guzz and toast the immortal memory, to the true founder of the Pasty legend.
  6. Does mean that Lady Hamilton was from Swilly then ?
  7. No, Lady Hamilton came from Stoke and used to live at "Wingfield Mansion" which was gifted by the Hamilton family to the Naval Hospital Stonehouse. They used it to accommodate the Naval Nurses, and the odd use by any mariners lucky enough to shack up there overnight. :-D
  8. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Nelson's still gobbing off now.

"Out Pipes. Hands to action stations"

Cant move down the mess decks for discarded clay pipes getting put out when that gets called.
  9. According to the OED, the first use of the word "Kismet" (turkish word for "Fate") in English is not until 1848.Two witnesses to Nelson's death reported that they heard the words "Kiss me, Hardy", and noted that Hardy bent down and kissed Nelson's forehead.

Emma Carew, later Lady Hamilton, came from the Wirral.

But many thanks for the link to an excellent article to remind us what happened on this day, 206 years ago. The only slight exception I'd take to it is the view it has on Lady Hamilton being ignored after Lord Nelson's death in favour of his relatives. After all, even today, a great man's mistress would not be accorded many official rewards, especially if his wife were still alive.
  10. Lady Hamilton came fro the Wirral!?, Wot, a Birkenhead bint was she, or was she from Parkgate, which used to be a naval station of sorts.