Kippers

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by SJRM_RN, Oct 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Being that it's Sunday in SJRM_RN land at present (don't ask!) I had kippers as a breakfast choice this morning. Now, I love kippers for breakfast but there were others sat near me who, by the look on their faces, aren't that partial.

Are kippers like Marmite, in that you either love them or hate them and there is no middle ground?

I had the same reaction a few days ago whilst eating black pudding at breakfast (mind you, it was amusing watching the Septic's face as I explained what he was eating and how it is made :wink: )

What other foodstuffs are in the same love or hate bracket?

2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Peanut butter. I love peanuts, but hate peanut butter. It looks like baby shit and probably tastes the same. It's like coffee. I love coffee but can't stand anything that's coffee flavoured.

3. Although not strictly food stuff, Fannies are edible and on occasions smell like kippers.
    Fannies are a mood food with some, a no no, with others and addictive to real men.
    I would never eat one at breakfast time unless freshly caught but fresh out the water are very palatable.

4. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I can't stand liver and English mustard.

And surprisingly whisky which makes me throw up.

5. Well if you get a bottle for Christmas send it me.

Liver is a mood food with me I've had it twice in 27 years.
    Home made curries are usually disgusting when for whatever reason they are laced with sultanas and other fruit.
    And anything covered with Marzipan.

6. I love kippers, everyone else in my house hates them.

Celery is the one for me. Cooked its just crunchy warm water, and raw is like licking the inside of a sewer. Those fat twats that try to lose weight say it takes more calories to eat than it actually gives, so (if true) not only does it taste shit it's also a fucking pointless food.

7. =========================

=========================

Anything from McD's...

Still recall the culture shock and horror from my first visit many yonks ago;

Tastelessness aside, I searched in vain for those missing knives/forks/spoons and plates.

Restaurant? Shmeshtaurant!

8. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I quite like homemade curries, if buying the sauce is classed as homemade. The Mrs has an Paki pal who makes fantastic homemade pakora.

9. Stewed sausages, I mean what are people thinking, sausages are fried or grilled at worst.

10. I like my homemade and yes we use the cheat powder from Farm-foods and made by "Mayflower".
    I refer to the turkey types to get rid of Christmas waste and everything thrown in including veg.
    I washed up for free in an Indian some years ago so the geezer would show me how to make a covent garden meat curry.
    They are now my house speciality and blend in well topographically.

11. Sadly you are, there is no finer way to start the day than shit on a raft.

12. Yes but thats nothing to do with your food preferences.

Liver love it, slightly pink not done to death like boot leather.
    Love kippers but not first thing lunch or supper.
    Hate preping kidneys (the smell of stale piss) love eating them(cooked).
    Celery is only just edible in stews, cucumber is never edible.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  13. Snorkers. Good oh!!!!! Lol

14. You can't eat kippers fresh out of the water, they need to spend a few hours at least in the smoke house otherwise they are just herrings. I'm surprised that this obvious error hasn't been picked up already. Buck up Rummers.

Kippers, love 'em; Kidneys, love 'em; Liver, love it, gently cooked in milk and still pink but not for breakfast.

15. Re read the post you blind old bugger, I'm talking about fannies not kippers.
    Fannies fresh out the water (bath) taste better than the ones that have been subjected to wrapping.

16. Don't call me a bugger you cantankerous old git. If I could find that white stick thats in here somewhere I'd hit you with it.

17. So did Fanny Craddocks minge taste like a kipper?:banned:

18. Love Heinz sandwich spread,taste great but looks like puke
    Waste of eating is sweetcorn. It just ends up whole in the bog the next day..:booty:

19. And Johnny tasted like a crab stick. Apparently