Kindle

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Following an earlier conversation re books, I don't have a Kindle at present, whilst I appreciate I can download onto my PC that's a bit bulky to take to bed. Having used the search function and found no answers, what are peoples experiences with Kindles, good or bad,

I mostly be using it for reading ebooks so with one eye on the price I'm looking at this Amazon Kindle Fire 7" Tablet 16GB Wi-Fi with Alexa, (7th Gen) - BLACK !!!! coming in just under £50, is it suitable for my purposes?

Had a kindle for years, excellent bit of kit, I put a lot of books on here from Endeavour press, just go onto Amazon join free and download what you want, every week I put free books on here, but there are others that I put on from 99p. You can also search on Amazon for a particular book, RN, War , Submarine etc. Enjoy.

Waspie

War Hero
Following an earlier conversation re books, I don't have a Kindle at present, whilst I appreciate I can download onto my PC that's a bit bulky to take to bed. Having used the search function and found no answers, what are peoples experiences with Kindles, good or bad,

I mostly be using it for reading ebooks so with one eye on the price I'm looking at this Amazon Kindle Fire 7" Tablet 16GB Wi-Fi with Alexa, (7th Gen) - BLACK !!!! coming in just under £50, is it suitable for my purposes?
Love mine. I have the Kindle Voyage. Working night shifts its bloody superb. I have some 800+ books on mine right now and still have 2-3 gb left on the drive for more. My version has backlight, (a must), and wifi enabled so I can download books on the fly.
Bookbub - free/cheapy books. BookBub Kindofbook.com More free books
They get my vote.

Last edited:

rebbonk

Lantern Swinger
Book Reviewer
I use an iPad mini with a kindle app. It's about the only use I've found for it.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I've had a Kindle for several years - absolutely brilliant! I also love 'real' books too, but the Kindle is very convenient.

Being a Porridge Wog, I have never paid for a download. I got a load of DVDs from FleaBay containing literally tens if not hundreds of thousands of e-books. I have a chap who supplies the best seller list if required - all legal (he says!).

I use Calibre for transferring from DVD to Kindle - it will also convert to any other e-book format, even PDF.

Waspie

War Hero
I've had a Kindle for several years - absolutely brilliant! I also love 'real' books too, but the Kindle is very convenient.

Being a Porridge Wog, I have never paid for a download. I got a load of DVDs from FleaBay containing literally tens if not hundreds of thousands of e-books. I have a chap who supplies the best seller list if required - all legal (he says!).

I use Calibre for transferring from DVD to Kindle - it will also convert to any other e-book format, even PDF.
Seems were on the same wavelength!!! I've some 28Gb of books on my laptop. I figure I need never buy another book again, in this life and the next!!!!! Some great authors out there who don't charge either. Bob Mayer and Christofer Cartwright to name but a couple!!!
Pay for a book?
Who swore!!!!!!:eek:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
What I'm really asking is if there is any difference with the quality of the screens with the different models when just using them for reading ebooks?

Waspie

War Hero
What I'm really asking is if there is any difference with the quality of the screens with the different models when just using them for reading ebooks?
OK. Yes. Kindle are higher def than the other generic Amazon Fire type devices.
I have both and only use Kindle for reading as the Fire isn't as sharp and does my eyes in!

WreckerL

War Hero
I use a Kindle Fire and have never had any problems with it, I have loads of books on it and I'm using it to type this.

I just wish kindles were around years ago instead of having to take books to sea.

i have had a kindle and now have a kindle fire 8 HD with Alexa (disabled her). THe Kindle screen had a partial failure after many years of use. The Fire is easy to navigate and has the advantages of being good for general tinternet browsing and some games.

Only disadvantage of the Fire is the screen can be a bit difficult to read in strong sunshine whereas the kindle paperweight is better.

I think we all have the same dvds full of books. Amazon are good for free books of all genres as well.

I would say go for it. Easier than having a 19 inch monitor sat on your chest in bed!

Waspie

War Hero
I use a Kindle Fire and have never had any problems with it, I have loads of books on it and I'm using it to type this.

I just wish kindles were around years ago instead of having to take books to sea.
Problem I would have had was having my books lobbed over the side or hidden. Especially when I was going through my Tom Sharpe phase. Giggling in bed evidently pissed off some of the 'more senior' senior rates!!!!!

@janner

Googling "best device for reading kindle books uk" brought up a fistful of recent opinions:

https://nortonsafe.search.ask.com/web?q=best+device+for+reading+kindle+books+uk&o=APN11908&prt=cr&chn=prev

Treat Prices only as guides, most Reviews prices are outdated almost as soon as a Review is published.

Once you've done a little homework try to find a relative/friend who'll demonstate their device & quiz them to death on the Pros vs. Cons.

Meanwhile - Go for the Kindle Cloud App Download on your PC now & try out that App with a few free AZ books.

Any Kindle books you amass can then also be read anytime later on your chosen new eReader and on a range of other devices as selected at your AZ Acct.

KILO :WINK:

WreckerL

War Hero
Problem I would have had was having my books lobbed over the side or hidden. Especially when I was going through my Tom Sharpe phase. Giggling in bed evidently pissed off some of the 'more senior' senior rates!!!!!
Problem I had saw having the last few pages ripped out and ransomed for CSB ,particularly common on one boat I was on, admittedly I used to do it as well!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
My Kindle is a 'normal' original one. My Leader has a Kindle Paperwhite, which she loves, as she can read it in the dark.

I sleep in the dark.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I've more or less settled on this one
Kindle Paperwhite 8GB E-Reader 2018

It seems to tick most of the boxes....unless you know differently.

dapperdunn

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I like a book. Tried a Kindle, but couldn't get on with it. It's a tactile thing.
I do have a kindle app on my Lenovo tablet, that's tethered to my Huawei phone, so the Chinese government can read what I'm reading, if they really want to! :)

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm with you on books, but when you start looking at the costs and the space they take up it makes you wonder if Kindle's not the way to go. I buy a lot of paperbacks from the Works, £5 for three offer. These I then either pass on or take into the local Hospice charity shop (they charge just under the full marked price so make good money), but when I pay £25+ for a good hardback I don't really want to give it away.