Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kids In Pubs

WindyMiller said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
Personally I preferred the days when children were BANNED from pubs. I'd like to see it return to those days. I'd also like to see alcopops go the same way as the dodo.

Ok so us parents can't go to pubs then - a bit draconian I think seeing as most parents I know really need some time out!!

I don't think anyone can disagree with that- but there is a difference between taking the kids to a smoke free family restaurant and going to a smoky bar and getting trollied while the kids run riot. If you're going to get pissed, make sure the kids aren't around, simple as. I'm sure it's not always easy to get kids looked after when you want a drink, but if it comes to that then people have to go without. That's what having kids is- big sacrifices!

I must admit I'm split on this issue, living in a village the pub does tend to be a focal point and yes alot of kids go in there. There seems to be an unwritten rule that all the kids have gone by 8 p.m, that way the adults can drink to much and turn into kids if they want to. This seems to work, except for one particular family of inbreeds who think its OK to drop there 14 year old off at the pub unsupervised to watch the footie etc...my world reknown art of biting my tongue is still inforce over this...just.

On the other hand I stay away from home alot whilst working and usually end up in one of those identikit hotels that always seems to have a wacky warehouse or charlie chalk thingy tacked onto it, I usually go to the bar which has big "No Children" signs everywhere only to find drunk parents and little [email protected] running around screaming everywhere, after normally working all day it's the last thing I need, but I blame the parents more that the kids.

wet_blobby said:
I usually go to the bar which has big "No Children" signs everywhere only to find drunk parents and little [email protected] running around screaming everywhere.

Blobbs, Isn't it permissible to string one child up by his/her neck as an example to the rest to sit down and shut up? Please don't tell me that old & revered custom has died out across the pond. So sad.

moondog said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
Personally I preferred the days when children were BANNED from pubs. I'd like to see it return to those days. I'd also like to see alcopops go the same way as the dodo.
It was'nt that long ago here in Scotland a good few bars would not serve women! :lol:
Oh and you could enjoy a cigarette with your drink. Happy days.

Why did they change? Oh if only I'd known. The only safe place I can drink free of children (apart from matelot types who've never grown up :wink: ) seems to be in the various bars at work, those situated in the middle of nowhere and HMS President's SRs Mess (as an Old Hand)... oh yes, and there's the private bar on HMS Belfast! :D

Perhaps what we need are Paedobars - bars that ONLY serve parents with children, bar smoking and have nappy changing allowed on the green baize; then make the others all child (& female?) free. :p If we put signs on ALL the other (adult) pubs and label them paedophile friendly, that should scare the parents away! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Of course Jenny Dabber as an honorary Ganges Boy will be exempted from this rule!!! Oh, er, And hopefully the male bits of me will allowed in too :? :wink: :lol:

KATWEEZIL

Lantern Swinger
slim said:
The Milltown club was great. however as for drunkenness not being tolerated, for many members the idea was to get drunk, however troublemakers were not tolerated so lots of happy drunks. Kids were only allowed in until about 2000 from what I remember then had to go home. Didn't stop many of the parents staying though as the caravans were close to the club. happy memories of cheap drinks in good company, including the civie members who lived locally.

Slim,

I can remember the rules -
Kids discouraged from the Bar not only by the management but also BY THEIR PARENTS.
The after 8 one I remember very well - I used to go up to get a bag of crisps for my play-piece the next day and was told very sternly to wait outside.

I do remember some inebriation but it was as you say jolly.

We live in different (and IMHO - far worse) Times :(

Not really been bothered with Kids in my local

The kids are usually in a separate area and although there aren't play area's as such they seem to behave themselves .

Seen a couple of family groups come in at odd times and attempt to sit in the main bar areas but they get politely shifted with the undertones that if they won't they don't get served!!
Also there is a 2030 cap on children --usually Mother leaves with kids and Dad stays drinking!!

Most of the families come in for food aswell --------my local wotherspoons has a good kids menu and the prices are right!!

SCOTLAND No smoking in any public premises, no children in licenced premices after 20:00 Ah bliss

If you are in an English village with only one Pub the kids should be home anyway tough shit that is life with children, you have to adapt, send dad home with the kids and get your rocks off, entertain the fleet

F169

War Hero
I was 100% in agreement with Katweezil but then I remembered what a wonderful pub the Edinburgh Arms was in Gib at the bottom of ONH hill, I have a hazy memory of my kids running riot with other kids while their respective parents were 'very happy' propping up the bar. Ah bliss!

Father_Famine

Lantern Swinger
Always_a_Civvy said:
moondog said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
It was'nt that long ago here in Scotland a good few bars would not serve women! :lol:

Why did they change? Oh if only I'd known. The only safe place I can drink free of children (apart from matelot types who've never grown up :wink: ) seems to be in the various bars at work, those situated in the middle of nowhere and HMS President's SRs Mess (as an Old Hand)... oh yes, and there's the private bar on HMS Belfast! :D

Perhaps what we need are Paedobars - bars that ONLY serve parents with children, bar smoking and have nappy changing allowed on the green baize; then make the others all child (& female?) free. :p If we put signs on ALL the other (adult) pubs and label them paedophile friendly, that should scare the parents away! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Of course Jenny Dabber as an honorary Ganges Boy will be exempted from this rule!!! Oh, er, And hopefully the male bits of me will allowed in too :? :wink: :lol:

AAC,

I am bringing my wife and 11 yr old son down to London on 15 June until 18 June for the Falklands Parade.

Apart from our hotel (ex County Hall) are there any places we can go for a drink with the young lad, (he will be well behaved) I've told him he's going to meet some great lads who were with his dad in 82 and he's looking forward to that.

Time off from school for educational reasons :wink:

Six_and_a_Half

Lantern Swinger
Always_a_Civvy said:
moondog said:
Always_a_Civvy said:

I'm starting to get the impression somewhat that you don't like children very much, AAC! I don't ever have a problem with children in public houses, it would be a bit hypocritical of me if I did because I've always gone drinking in the pubs with my parents and grandparents. Being underage I was rather restricted to coca-cola (and the quick pint of mild when the landlord wasn't looking), and of course I had to be well behaved.

But then again you had to be, back then. Going down to the pub was often the highlight of our day (Still is, to be honest :wink: ). Even though I was a child I have always been treated as an adult, and to lose that privilege was the harshest punishment that my parents could ever inflict upon me.

In modern days, with the smoking ban being enforced in more pubs, one can only expect more pubs to become more child-friendly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Cash boost to get more kids cycling and walking to school MoD News 0
Stirlin Cold War Kids Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cadet Forces increase social mobility and help disadvantaged kids reach... MoD News 1
Chaz Oops - Three Jan dockies will think about having kids! Submariners 7
BillyNoMates C'mon kids! The Gash Barge 0
tiddlyoggy Brit murders his own kids and escapes on ROLLER SKATES!! Diamond Lil's 24
BillyNoMates Christmas - well it's for the kids isn't it? Diamond Lil's 2
BillyNoMates How to terrify your kids - with shaving foam. Diamond Lil's 0
scouse Crewe Alex Kids with a future Sports and Adventure Training 0
T 12 kids & 2 women killed by NATO strike in Afghanistan Current Affairs 8
G Fat kids will **** you up. Diamond Lil's 10
L Kids school exams Blue Jokes 0
S 2 Kids Miscellaneous 1
G Don't put pressure on your kids to perform Diamond Lil's 7
BillyNoMates Kids in Need 2010 Diamond Lil's 13
S Kids playing footall Current Affairs 6
J Kids... Nearest & Dearest 2
soleil Royal on a Jet Ski rescues kids cut off by tide in Torquay The Corps 0
Joint_Force_Harrier One armed TV presenter Scares Kids Diamond Lil's 31
WreckerL Kids ideas of the sea Diamond Lil's 2
YouAreHavingALaugh Foster mum of 80 kids banned Current Affairs 22
J Urgent people with kids born post 1996 pre 2004 Current Affairs 1
L Shockingly bad kids slide.... The Internet - Best and Worst 2
R12_CV Things Kids Say... Nearest & Dearest 18
S Disarming Britain & Kids, Knives and Broken Lives Current Affairs 7
davy_longshanks Idiot teachers taking kids up mountains The Gash Barge 0
P RM Colour Sergeant looks after kids while wife goes to war Current Affairs 4
oberon Crazy Costumes for Kids The Quarterdeck 2
L Taking your kids to the Good ole US of A ? Current Affairs 10
Good_CO The must NOT see kids film this Christmas Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 32
sgtpepperband The Kids Are The Future Diamond Lil's 9
sgtpepperband Michael Jackson Invites The Kids Round For Summer Break... Diamond Lil's 4
D When we were kids. Diamond Lil's 49
K Asylum seekers kids Diamond Lil's 40
slim Jackals stole dead kids' IDs Diamond Lil's 4
Lingyai Kids need a slap Diamond Lil's 20
sgtpepperband Kids these days... The Gash Barge 8
shag_shacker never say no to the kids Diamond Lil's 2
brazenhussy 80's kids tele............. The Gash Barge 58
Shakey BBC presenter swears at handicapped kids Diamond Lil's 15
P How do you decide who to marry (Written by kids) Diamond Lil's 7
brazenhussy Kids - shocked The Quarterdeck 17
brazenhussy the things kids say!! The Quarterdeck 9
slim And of course MPs send their kids to state run schools The Gash Barge 2
slim Help for Parents with Problem Kids Current Affairs 10
Lingyai Should we have kids? Current Affairs 21
MoD_RSS Further Pubs Code Declaration put in place to protect certain Pubs Code rights MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Update following PCA investigation into Star Pubs & Bars MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Insurance obligations in the Pubs code MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second Pubs Code Declaration ends today MoD News 0