kidney donor

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by elmo, Feb 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

I have finished uni and want to join as an officer, however my little brother has had an illness that has wiped out his kidneys. My whole family has been tested and I'm the only one the hospital want to take forwardas a live donor. According to the hospital i am really healthy, thats why they want one of my kidneys, but will this prevent me getting into the navy?

I hope not :?

2. Elmo,

Welcome to RR

I think the lack of replies at the moment is probably due to the fact that no one on line at the moment knows the right answer to your predicament. Our Newbie mentors, Ninja Stoker and Supermario may be able to help you out, as might Angrydoc but my advice would be to contact the AFCO for definitive advice. They will check with the RN Medics for you.

It's an incredibly tough decision you have ahead of you and you and your family have my heartfelt sympathy. Bottom line is that there are thousands of careers out there but only one brother. I hope you get the advice you need soon.

Good luck

3. Hi,

As far as I know if you've had a kidney removed for donation it normally bars you from entry for a minimum of 6 months. You would still then have to pass the medical at the careers office with the AFCO medical examiner.

Best of luck

Supermario

:)

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, concur the Application Form Information & Guidance Booklet (AFCO Form 5) states that a kidney donation in the past 6 months is a bar to entry.

Providing their are no complications, then you may apply after the 6 months has elapsed - a small price to pay for a noble gesture.

Good luck to you.

5. Jambosun's advice is spot on. Life is about priorities. The RN is always going to be here and, to be honest, we could do with more people of your calibre.

Good luck to you and your brother.

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Welcome, also Elmo. I hope you finally make it into the Service, but you may need to ask your Brother for a liver transplant after a few years in the Navy... :wink: