Keogh Barracks (DMS)

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by Black2Blue, Aug 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    A massive case of bad admin requiring help please.
    I am due to start my MA’s Course (Transfer from CIS) on the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] September and apart from not even having a CRB Certificate I have also not had any Joining Instructions. Also being on leave until my course my question is, does anyone have a course kit list?

Thanks.

2. Regardless of the fact you are branch transferring you are effectively starting a Phase 2 course from day 1. Unless DMSTC separate the sideways entries and bootnecks into separate courses I would imagine you will require your complete kit as issued when you were at HMS Raleigh. This will probably include the current flavour of PT rig.

Think back to when you were in P2 at Collingwood as a CIS - I don't think P2 MAs will be much different from that. The only difference will be that, as MA course is significantly longer than CIS, you may gain privileges as you progress through the course.

Got an oppo who is a Chief MA so if I can track him down I'll ask his thoughts

3. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I was thinking P2 for kit list, just hoping that I wouldn't need all of it as A. Its Tri-Service and B. I'm a re-cat.

4. Why does this make a difference? it's still a phase 2 training establishment no matter what service you are in while on your initial trade training. The presence of the Army could actually make things worse!

So you might end up as class leader then! Things might have changed since my phase 2 but the 2 badge AB dabber who was in my class was treated exactly the same as the rest of us. Ok, he might have got a lot more pay than the rest of us. Also, everyone wanted to be his oppo so they could listen to his salty dits!

Anyway, good luck with the course!

5. Sorry, probably came over a bit wrong. Not expecting any special treatment being a re-cat.

6. Spare socks x 2
    Panties (Soiled-Ladies) x 1

• Like Like x 1
  7. Concur. When I was a instructor in Medical Staff Training any re-cats joined a Pt 2 class and were subjected to the same regime as any new entry part 2 ... including kit musters etc etc so yes you will need all kit as issued. The fact that the Army is involved is an added embuggerance factor as their "mentallity" is somewhat different to the RN so could make matters worse. The fact that you have had some experience with kit etc may put you at an advantage as you kow what to expect but will also raise expectations of the staff as to your presentation - bit of a two edged sword!

I wish you luck with your endeavors

• Like Like x 1
  8. Well still no CRB Certificate! Have called the office on Whale Island twice now and all they can say is there is a backlog due to staff shortage!

Anybody know if I can attend the course without one and tell the instructors it’s in the system?

Bit of a loose end as what to do!

9. The quickest way of providing proof that it's in the system is giving Excellent a call again and ask that they provide an email to yourself and your course instructors that the CRB check is being undertaken and will be completed by whatever date they can provide.
    This'll provide the paperwork trail you'll need. I'd also suggest giving your instructors a call and ask for their email too so that Excellent can provide an email confirmation that it's actually being done.

10. Good point.

11. AyyyyyBOUT TURN!

No CRB Certificate, no course for me!

Complete and utter joke.

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Bad luck. But did you follow the advice in Post #9?