Keeping a weapon

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by asst_dep_to_dep_asst, Jul 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Widely reported today that more people admit to keeping a weapon handy to use in case of burglary etc.

The law doesn't mind us keeping baseball bats and the like, but if we use them on the effluent that chooses to break in to our property we're in the wrong. Arse about face or what?

My view is that if someone decides to enter my property without invitation, I cannot be held responsible for their safety.
  2. Personally, if I found someone in my house, I'd seriously **** him up!,
    and make sure he was ejected from my house shortly afterwards. Then you could deny ever coming into contact with him.

Like a lot of laws, this one too is a joke.
    (Much like the Police)
  3. You, perhaps deliberately, misrepresent the law, which does allow you to use reasonable force in self defence. Many householders have done so and not even been charged never mind brought to court. What the law does not allow you to be is judge, jury and executioner, a quite reasonable view in my opinion.
  4. A rational Maxi_77 and one that I fully agree with.
  5. Correct in theory however the reality of being confronted by a stranger in your home maybe as an older person or a female with a young family , given all that's going on with kidnap rape etc it would be difficult to pause and think of the law and how that poor person could be hurt . I would have no hesitation but to seriously maim or f*****g kill any bastard in my home and f**k the consequences. That's why it is now so common , no consequences for the crim . Back to basics , the law of the jungle prevails . Besides , even those trained in the niceties of the law frequently ' kill in the line of duty ' , should be more of it , no residivism

:threaten: :threaten: :threaten:
  6. a few years ago my aunt woke up to find someone breaking in to her car,which was in to her garage, she let the dog out which attacked the burgler she received a warning the guy got off. i would say that was reasonable force as she was there on her own and the property did have the 'beware of the dog warnings up'
  7. For a murder to be commited, don't they need to find a body? Its not like Mr Scumbag says to Mrs Scumbag, "I'm off to do over Number xyz tonight love. I won't be late home." So he's not going to be missed for a day or two really. And how's she going to report it to the feds. My significant other, father of one of my 9 kids did over that house last night and hasn't been seen since?
    So what you need is a pig. They're evironmentally friendly, very nice to have as a pet and the only bit you can't eat is the rusty ring. And if yo starve them, they'll eat anything, including Mr Scumbag. ala BrickTop in Snatch
  8. The problem in the eyes of the law is to define 'reasonable force'

As far as i am concerned someone in my house without my invitation is a burglar and therefore to be classed as an open invitation to use whatever implement is close to hand to protect myself and my body (house is insured).

What I dont agree with is when said scroat breaks into house and is injured in some way, either by owner or by being a total tit and cutting hand on glass etc and THEN claims compensation from you and wins when the Police nick scroat and raise charges, the CPS throw it out saying insufficient evidence - the fact that his blood is on the broken window or he was even more of a moron and left foot prints etc in the house seems to be ignored......
  9. In reality the incidence of violence to a house occupier by a stranger who has gained unlawful access to the home in the UK is in reality rare if not very rare, so the problem is not that serious. In general the only people who are prosecuted for attacking intruders are those who attack as the intruder is trying to leave rather than in self defence
  10. Got this piece of advice off a retired "Glasgow Polis" just after I had my house broken into while upstairs He said...

1/ Make sure you have something heavy to hit your intruder with. Also make sure that you have a Sharp domestic knife that is not part of a set out of your own kitchen.

2/ On break in of your property, beat the intruder senseless and when he is either unconcious or unable to move then stick the knife in his hand.

1/ (In Scotland) He gets done for attempted assault and Breaking and Entering. and therfore gets a heftier jail sentence.
    2/ You Plead self defence which in view of the evedence would be accepted by the judge.

Sorry but i've been a victim once too often :threaten:
  11. Now thats some good advice. Unfortuneately while it would work in Scotland, the CPS in England cares more for the rights of the criminal and would therefore drop all charges against them, give them your house, car and family as compo then send you to jail for attempted murder.....
  12. On the radio this morning some female MP was going on about how if you have a base ball bat by your bed, it could be used on you......... so she keeps a bottle of washing up liquid.... I kid you not..... squirt it in the eyes of the offender, or here take this and have a shower before you leave you must be sweaty after all you hard work.....
  13. The problem with Reasonable Force is that is a very woolly concept and account will likely be taken of the effect rather than the intention. If you are in genuine fear and act in self defence but lamp a burglar with a thin skull you could be in real trouble if you cause serious injury.

Top tip: hitting people on the head is a very bad idea indeed. Knees ankles and elbows very much better. Juries would probably prefer if you at least tried to appear spontaneous - do not use a baseball bat if you do not play baseball...

ddited to add linkt o CPS "guidance to householders on the use of force"

The interesting phrase to note is "something to hand" as a weapon: to be sure you probably want to ensure that you use a chamberpot and get a lawyer.
  14. Reasonable force is quite logical and needs to be woolie as it has to be what the majority of reasonable people (i.e. a jury) would consider to be reasonable. You can use force to defend your own property as well as in self defence (it is only our Military R.O.I. that dont allow us to use lethal force to defend MOD property in peacetime).

What you cant do is take revenge for one of these scrotes breaking into your house. That seems fair enough to me.
  15. if you catch them coming up the stairs, give them a good shove backwards, not your fault they slipped now is it ?
  16. The force has to be reasonable to you at the time, if he has a thin skull that is his problem, not yours. If some one comes at you with a knife it is reasonable to think he intends to kill you or cause serious injury, if on the other hand he puts his hands up and says 'fair cop' then no violence would be reasonable. In recent years there have been cases of people killing intruders and not being charged because it was clear they had acted in self defence. Shooting some one in the back whilst they are running away tends to result in a charge of murder though.

If you really think he is going to kill you you wont think about how the jury will see it even if it does get to a jury. Of course if occasionally you played a game of soft ball/rounders with the kids/grandkids you would be quite justified at having a baseball bat. Also remeber you can also use reasonable force to effect a citizens arrest and if some one has broken into your house you have grounds to make the arrest, but of course a court may not consider reducing the man to a pulp was reasonable force
  17. sledgehammer to the knees work wonders
  18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't like the nature of the poll. As Maxi has pointed out, reasonable force has always been a defence in court, and each case i tried on mitigating or aggravating circumstances.

By the nature of the poll I assume you want to right to use 'excessive force' to be enshrined in law? If that is so, then I disagree. There are enough safeguards in place to allow homeowners to defend their property. Giving people additional powers will lead to vigilanteism.
  19. I would of thought it kind of depends if you go before a Magistrate or Crown Court. If you get a jury, probably more chance of getting off
  20. So would I darling! Over and over again. Iif that doesn't make him go straight, the chances are he's beyond redemption!