Katsu Curry The latest Foodie Fad!

slim

War Hero
Seems the latest craze in food is something named Katsu Sauce.

Restaurants are charging a fortune for this new Yuppie food.
Having watched a TV program and being informed that these fine establishments do NOT make the sauce from scratch but buy blocks of concentrate to make it I thought I would give it a try.

So orf to me local ethnic store and I purchased 200grams of the finest katsu sauce cubes for £8
Made the curry and poured it over the Chicken.
Tasted OK but nowt spectacular.
I thought I have experienced this taste before, many times.

Then it came to me
Tastes like a typical Chinese Curry Sauce!

So I searched Tinternet and found

Katsu is a breaded, fried cutlet, usually chicken or pork. Japanese curry is based on curry powder (introduced to Japan by the British) so yes it does taste like chip shop curry sauce as they are made using the same spice mix. Japanese curry is usually made using a block of curry sauce added to a mix of onions, potato, carrot, meat and water.

So forget being ripped orf for £8:00
Go to yer local supermarket and buy packets of Chinese Chip shop style curry!
They are extremely cheap and a large packet can be bought for as little as a Squidly from many supermarkets :)

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I can't be bothered getting up and going into the kitchen (maybe later!) for the brand, but a UK place makes tubs of various curries which I buy in an Indian supermarket here. They are semi-solid and also have a thickening element to them. I have Thai, Madras, Chinese and Hot Chinese.

Absolutely brilliant for a quick basic curry. 'Normal' Chinese is indistinguishable from the local take-away.

slim

War Hero
Seems Kowloon had some fantastic curry houses.
They were clubs and situated in the Block next to the "Holiday Inn" Golden Mile.
Never found them but my mates at Molins used to enthuse about them

Jacobus

War Hero
The block you’re thinking of is Chungking Mansions. Backpacker heaven, den of iniquity, however cracking curry houses in tiny little rooms. Mainly Nepali / Ghurkali.
A lot of the Japanese “ junk “ food, ekonomiyaki, katsu curry etc was imported. And excellent too; the Japs make excellent beer.

slim

War Hero
The block you’re thinking of is Chungking Mansions. Backpacker heaven, den of iniquity, however cracking curry houses in tiny little rooms. Mainly Nepali / Ghurkali.
A lot of the Japanese “ junk “ food, ekonomiyaki, katsu curry etc was imported. And excellent too; the Japs make excellent beer.
Many thanks for that, my OAuld Pharts addled brain could not recall the name.
Had a good market on the ground floor but the curry places were on some of the upper floors.
Japanese beer is OK The Chinese make some excellent beers not just Tsing Toa.
I was in one place and drank the local brew named "Blue Sword Iced Beer". It was fantastic. Our Interpreters husband worked for the brewery and so we even got the T shirt :)

Jacobus

War Hero
Tsing Tao is more German than Chinese. After the end of WW1 the Germans lost the colony of Quingdao and it’s Bavarian style brewery.
So the Chinese took it over lock stock and barrel. So to speak. They put quite a lot of glycerine and msg in their beers. That said Tsing Tao is a nice drop.

Jacobus

War Hero
Last edited:

slim

War Hero
Tsing Tao is more German than Chinese. After the end of WW1 the Germans lost the colony of Quingdao and it’s Bavarian style brewery.
So the Chinese took it over lock stock and barrel. So to speak. They put quite a lot of glycerine and msg in their beers. That said Tsing Tao is a nice drop.
You are correct.
Have you ever been to Tsing Toa?
It is on the coast and has a large Naval base with a noisy long distance rader which breaks through on all the TV channels.
I spent Spring Festival there one year as the company I worked for had a large job on.
The town is a mixture of old German style buildings and modern tall ones.