K19 - the actual story

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Seaweed, Jul 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Found 'K19 - The Widowmaker' (Captain Peter Huchthausen USN Rtd, pub. National Geographic 2002) in the public library - took it home - couldn't put it down - absolutely Class 1 read. Why anyone bothers to read fiction when there is this stuff about I can't think. It closes with a note by the film producer explaining how the written story was adapted to make the fictional film. As it is, this book is based largely on a written account by K19's CO, plus interviews with numerous Russians.It's an interesting study in leadership and courage amongst many other things.

Besides the direct story of K19's misadventures there is comprehensive coverage of the Soviet Navy's other disasters, and how they were covered up and lessons ignored. In covering the Cold War technology race at least from the submarine point of view it shows how the US eventually fried the Soviets and their defective social system.

Sadly, as we know, sending servicemen out in defective kit, covering up what happened & fudging inquiries etc is not limited to Communists, as the Chinook, Hercules and Nimrod crashes and numerous unnecessary deaths due to inadequate vehicles, duff ammunition and shortage of body armour have shown.

Highly recommended.
  2. I'll have to get that, I enjoyed the film, it seemed pretty realistic from a submariners point of view unlike the usual hollywood dross e.g. Crimson tide, Hunt for red october etc
  3. Just another example of Ivan trying to catch up with Elmer and no thought given to the crew or crew safety, and failing miserably. They thought nuclear safety was something that they had because they'd reached the process without thinking of the consequences. Despite all the Cold War stuff, they were submariners like we were - RIP Ivan, let down by ideology, and your Government. You were worthy opponents at times.
  4. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

As an aside, in the film, where K19 is near Jan Mayen island there is a shot of the CO in his bunk and on his side table is what I am quite sure is a volume of the Admiralty Pilot!

During the actual disaster the film runs the book pretty close.
  5. I just finished reading A time to die: The Kursk Disaster by Robert Moore.

A V good read which I can highly recommend.