Justice?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Potential_Officer, Oct 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7056325.stm

The attacker of a war veteran, left blind in one eye, and who walked with the aid of two walking sticks, was not jailed despite the vicious attack, instead a three year order was made against him.

Justice?
    What on earth does one need to be found guilty of before the Judiciary will lock someone up? Time for elected Judges? I know the public would want a far tougher sentance against this man, and him being off the streets is most definately in the public intrest.

2. Absolutely diabolical!!

I have long thought that things would be a lot different were it to be made a stipulation of holding any official office (local councillor, MP, Magistrate etc) that the elected person be required to live on a council estate in the area they represent.
    I don't think it'd be long before sentencing got a lot tougher!

3. In the light of such an extreme lack of justice the need for some other form of authority appears urgent . This has happened in the past and the time for it to re-emerge becoming more apparent . For this to happen in a civilised country is un-acceptable

:threaten:

http://faculty.ncwc.edu/toconnor/300/300lect10.htm

4. You could go out and kill someone but only get a suspended sentence, but I bet if you cut him up while he's driving his Bentley down the road, you'd be in the cells for the next 100 years..

5. Contributor Mode

The Police cannot/will not protect victims and witnesses on large council estates and other areas so what chance would a magistrate have. Also most JP's in England and Wales are unpaid volunteers who would stand for election very few IMHO.

Now local councilor, MP's and Senior Police Offices and Senior Council Officers Yes make them live on your local sink estate. Then you would see rapid changes.

Also Magistrates have very little choice in what sentence they give. In general they tick boxes and that then tells them the sentence. It it is nigh impossible to send a person to prison for his first conviction.

Nutty

6. I don't think justice will ever be delivered until the general public shake off this antipathy towards each other. In the news article it is detailed that Shah Chaudury was attacked "on a packed tram", and there is even a photograph (possibly taken by a by-stander) of the assault. Steven Gordon who was the assailant, is described as being forty-four years of age. Now It is understandable how a middle-aged man might easily beat down a noctogenarian, but I fail to agree that a carriage-full of passengers should allow him to do it.

Whether this case merits a custodial sentence or not depends on the motivations of the attack, I think. It seems to my understanding that the prisons exist to rehabilitate criminals into civilised society rather than punish them for their wrongs, so it may be that the magistrates felt that Steven Gordon would better realise the error of his ways by a three year order rather than a spell in jail.

In either case no matter how 'justice' is served, it will never bring back Shah Chaudury's eye, nor help him recover from his ordeal. I suppose really from a victim's perspective, justice can never be served, because it is impossible to erase the past.

7. Contributor Mode

Are there any of you out there that still honestly believe that the "British Legal System" had anything to do with "Justice"?

Justice Pecking Order

Judges
    Clerk of Court
    Defence Lawyers
    CPS Lawyers
    Officers of the Court
    Press
    Defendants
    Police Witnesses
    Jurors or Potential Jurors
    Court Pet Cat
    Victim
    Non Police witnesses

Nutty

8. I am of the opinon that the "British Legal System" exists to enforce justice, though not as cynical as yourself, I do try to keep my head out of the clouds for a little while at least, and agree that the "British Legal System" isn't entirely effectual.

I believe that the system needs to be improved in the way that criminals are sentenced and what those sentences should be, however I'll be the first to admit that I'm at a bit of a loss to put forward any immediate suggestions.

9. It all depends on who you assault. The guy that punched Sir Alex Ferguson at Euston station a couple of weeks back, got 12 months - not probation.

One law for the rich ....................................

10. Interesting so a precedent had already been set, yet the judge in this case decided not to follow it!

11. I think you're a bit higher on the pecking order than that Nutty.

12. Of course it should read thus:

Members of Parliament (sympathetic to the judiciary)
    Judges
    Clerk of Court
    Defence Lawyers
    CPS Lawyers
    Officers of the Court
    Press
    Members of Parliament (critical of the judiciary)
    Defendants
    Police Witnesses
    Nutty
    Jurors or Potential Jurors
    Court Pet Cat
    Victim
    Non Police witnesses
    Other Matelots

Thingy

13. There is already precedent for the Attorney General to appeal against the leniency of sentence, so maybe an e-mail barrage of the Prime Minister's website?

14. no such thing as justice-- the victim, an the family suffer- twice- both by the incident, and then again by going thru the court process.

Courts are geared to protecting the guilty, and do nothing to aid the families of the victim..........

15. My last few years were spent attending court as a non police witness in criminal matters when the department I worked for, detected, investigated and prepared the evidence for the Police mainly within the Theft Act. I can asure you my place in the pecking order was where I have placed it.

Nutty

16. Nutty has got it right the Legal system is in place to protect the system.Not you and me.
    You make the system look a fool and they will lock you up and chuck the key away.Nock 7 bells out out of granny or wot ever, and well sorry but it cost £20,000 a year to keep you in nick.That life get used to it. :

17. How do some judges sleep.

I can see no reasoning behind this sentence at all. It is on film, witnessed and admitted and yet he was let off. He left court with a 'smug' grin on his face and held up two thumbs to the cameras.

You obviously don't need to be a scholar to be a judge, just an idiot.

It's about time they were MADE to justify why they give the sentences they do.

Guilty of GBH yet set free.

There is absolutly nothing else on this planet that gets my goat up as much as these stupid judges. The police were really shocked at the sentence.
    Maybe the police and his family can lodge an appeal.

18. Thanks for moving that - I should maybe read before I write.