Justice?

#1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7056325.stm

The attacker of a war veteran, left blind in one eye, and who walked with the aid of two walking sticks, was not jailed despite the vicious attack, instead a three year order was made against him.

Justice?
What on earth does one need to be found guilty of before the Judiciary will lock someone up? Time for elected Judges? I know the public would want a far tougher sentance against this man, and him being off the streets is most definately in the public intrest.
 
#2
Absolutely diabolical!!

I have long thought that things would be a lot different were it to be made a stipulation of holding any official office (local councillor, MP, Magistrate etc) that the elected person be required to live on a council estate in the area they represent.
I don't think it'd be long before sentencing got a lot tougher!
 

icantfly

Lantern Swinger
#4
Potential_Officer said:
Justice?
What on earth does one need to be found guilty of before the Judiciary will lock someone up? Time for elected Judges? I know the public would want a far tougher sentance against this man, and him being off the streets is most definately in the public intrest.
You could go out and kill someone but only get a suspended sentence, but I bet if you cut him up while he's driving his Bentley down the road, you'd be in the cells for the next 100 years..
 
#5
skyvet said:
Absolutely diabolical!!

I have long thought that things would be a lot different were it to be made a stipulation of holding any official office (local councillor, MP, Magistrate etc) that the elected person be required to live on a council estate in the area they represent.
I don't think it'd be long before sentencing got a lot tougher!
Contributor Mode

The Police cannot/will not protect victims and witnesses on large council estates and other areas so what chance would a magistrate have. Also most JP's in England and Wales are unpaid volunteers who would stand for election very few IMHO.

Now local councilor, MP's and Senior Police Offices and Senior Council Officers Yes make them live on your local sink estate. Then you would see rapid changes.

Also Magistrates have very little choice in what sentence they give. In general they tick boxes and that then tells them the sentence. It it is nigh impossible to send a person to prison for his first conviction.

Nutty
 
#6
I don't think justice will ever be delivered until the general public shake off this antipathy towards each other. In the news article it is detailed that Shah Chaudury was attacked "on a packed tram", and there is even a photograph (possibly taken by a by-stander) of the assault. Steven Gordon who was the assailant, is described as being forty-four years of age. Now It is understandable how a middle-aged man might easily beat down a noctogenarian, but I fail to agree that a carriage-full of passengers should allow him to do it.

Whether this case merits a custodial sentence or not depends on the motivations of the attack, I think. It seems to my understanding that the prisons exist to rehabilitate criminals into civilised society rather than punish them for their wrongs, so it may be that the magistrates felt that Steven Gordon would better realise the error of his ways by a three year order rather than a spell in jail.

In either case no matter how 'justice' is served, it will never bring back Shah Chaudury's eye, nor help him recover from his ordeal. I suppose really from a victim's perspective, justice can never be served, because it is impossible to erase the past.
 
#7
Contributor Mode

Are there any of you out there that still honestly believe that the "British Legal System" had anything to do with "Justice"?

Justice Pecking Order

Judges
Clerk of Court
Defence Lawyers
CPS Lawyers
Officers of the Court
Press
Defendants
Police Witnesses
Jurors or Potential Jurors
Court Pet Cat
Victim
Non Police witnesses

Nutty
 
#8
Nutty said:
Are then of you out there that still honestly beleive that the "British Legal System" had anything to do with "Justice"?
I am of the opinon that the "British Legal System" exists to enforce justice, though not as cynical as yourself, I do try to keep my head out of the clouds for a little while at least, and agree that the "British Legal System" isn't entirely effectual.

I believe that the system needs to be improved in the way that criminals are sentenced and what those sentences should be, however I'll be the first to admit that I'm at a bit of a loss to put forward any immediate suggestions.
 
#9
It all depends on who you assault. The guy that punched Sir Alex Ferguson at Euston station a couple of weeks back, got 12 months - not probation.

One law for the rich ....................................
 
#10
MCCFairy said:
It all depends on who you assault. The guy that punched Sir Alex Ferguson at Euston station a couple of weeks back, got 12 months - not probation.

One law for the rich ....................................
Interesting so a precedent had already been set, yet the judge in this case decided not to follow it!
 
#11
Nutty said:
Contributor Mode

Justice Pecking Order

Judges
Clerk of Court
Defence Lawyers
CPS Lawyers
Officers of the Court
Press
Defendants
Police Witnesses
Jurors or Potential Jurors
Court Pet Cat
Victim
Non Police witnesses

Nutty

I think you're a bit higher on the pecking order than that Nutty.
 
#12
wanabedoc said:
Nutty said:
Contributor Mode

Justice Pecking Order

Judges
Clerk of Court
Defence Lawyers
CPS Lawyers
Officers of the Court
Press
Defendants
Police Witnesses
Jurors or Potential Jurors
Court Pet Cat
Victim
Non Police witnesses

Nutty

I think you're a bit higher on the pecking order than that Nutty.
Of course it should read thus:

Members of Parliament (sympathetic to the judiciary)
Judges
Clerk of Court
Defence Lawyers
CPS Lawyers
Officers of the Court
Press
Members of Parliament (critical of the judiciary)
Defendants
Police Witnesses
Nutty
Jurors or Potential Jurors
Court Pet Cat
Victim
Non Police witnesses
Other Matelots

Thingy
 
#13
Potential_Officer said:
......I know the public would want a far tougher sentance against this man, and him being off the streets is most definately in the public intrest.
There is already precedent for the Attorney General to appeal against the leniency of sentence, so maybe an e-mail barrage of the Prime Minister's website?
 
#15
no such thing as justice-- the victim, an the family suffer- twice- both by the incident, and then again by going thru the court process.

Courts are geared to protecting the guilty, and do nothing to aid the families of the victim..........
 
#16
wanabedoc said:
Nutty said:
Contributor Mode

Justice Pecking Order

Judges
Clerk of Court
Defence Lawyers
CPS Lawyers
Officers of the Court
Press
Defendants
Police Witnesses
Jurors or Potential Jurors
Court Pet Cat
Victim
Non Police witnesses

Nutty

I think you're a bit higher on the pecking order than that Nutty.
My last few years were spent attending court as a non police witness in criminal matters when the department I worked for, detected, investigated and prepared the evidence for the Police mainly within the Theft Act. I can asure you my place in the pecking order was where I have placed it.

Nutty
 
#17
Nutty has got it right the Legal system is in place to protect the system.Not you and me.
You make the system look a fool and they will lock you up and chuck the key away.Nock 7 bells out out of granny or wot ever, and well sorry but it cost £20,000 a year to keep you in nick.That life get used to it. :
 
#18
How do some judges sleep.

I can see no reasoning behind this sentence at all. It is on film, witnessed and admitted and yet he was let off. He left court with a 'smug' grin on his face and held up two thumbs to the cameras.

You obviously don't need to be a scholar to be a judge, just an idiot.

It's about time they were MADE to justify why they give the sentences they do.

Guilty of GBH yet set free.

There is absolutly nothing else on this planet that gets my goat up as much as these stupid judges. The police were really shocked at the sentence.
Maybe the police and his family can lodge an appeal.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
brazenhussy Current Affairs 27
A Current Affairs 10

Similar threads

New Posts