Just what does RNR stand for?

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by dunkers, Oct 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just what the **** is RNR an abbreviation of?

Pedantic question, but:

Does RNR stand for
    - Royal Naval Reserve
    - Royal Navy Reserve
    - Royal Naval Reserves
    - Royal Navy Reserves

?

The counter-question is of course "who gives a shit?", but I'm sad enough to want to know.

Recently "Royal Navy Reserve" has been emerging, which is gramatically incorrect :evil:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrg.

I feel better now. But does anyone know what the official line on this is?

2. Re: Just what the **** is RNR an abbreviation of?

According to the RN website, Dunks, it's Royal Naval Reserve.

3. Re: Just what the **** is RNR an abbreviation of?

never thought about that before......wait one....yup That's what is says on the shoulder of me nos ones Royal Naval Reserve

But we're all one big happy family now surely?

And why the sudden angst?

4. Re: Just what the **** is RNR an abbreviation of?

5. Re: Just what the **** is RNR an abbreviation of?

I always thought it was Royal Naval Reserve.

Incidentally, congratulations upon attaining the illustrious status of War Hero, Dunkers. Keep posting. I expect you to reach 1000 soon. :wink:

6. Re: Just what the **** is RNR an abbreviation of?

Really Not Required.

7. Re: Just what the **** is RNR an abbreviation of?

So the website and the law (RFA 96) say one thing and the shoulder flash says another. (Can't remember if mine's any different, I don't have my no. 1 suit to hand.)

The new RNR logo seems to call it "Royal Navy Reserves".

Why does it wind me up? - because we should be able to get something as simple as this right...

Accurate :wink:

8. Re: Just what the **** is RNR an abbreviation of?

ooooops! :oops: :oops: double checked and it is RESERVE (without the "s"), officialdom/usage and all that.

I'll go and sit in the corner now........... :?

9. Re: Just what the **** is RNR an abbreviation of?

"Alledgedly" we are supposed to be losing the uniform distinctions between regular and reserve... some time in the next century? :?

10. Re: Just what the **** is RNR an abbreviation of?

I think that "Royal Navy Reserve(s)" is being increasingly used to highlight the fact that we are part of the same Service and to be able to combine marketing/recruiting, etc.

The distinction is that one is the name of the volunteer reserve organisation, whilst the other is a description of what the RNR is.

Technically, I assume that "Royal Navy Reserves" includes the regular/fleet reserve, and probably also the RMR, so is a bit of an umbrella term, meaning we can all use the Royal Navy logo.

None of the above to be confused with Maritime Reserves, of course ?? :)

11. Re: Just what the **** is RNR an abbreviation of?

rest 'n' relaxation as far as I was concerned ;)

12. Re: Just what the **** is RNR an abbreviation of?

You must have hurt your brain cell thinking of that one D_I.

13. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Re: Just what the **** is RNR an abbreviation of?

I think you'll find in the current defence climate this meaning has been superseded by Required Now.... Really!

14. Re: Just what the **** is RNR an abbreviation of?

RNR? Even 2SL refers to us as the Maritime Reserves - but that is this years title. What will it be next year when someone wnats to make a name for themselves?

15. No my brain does not hurt. I believe that "joke" has been around since the days of the "Hungry Hundred". Please don't credit me with an original thought!

16. I think it should be Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve

The RN has a reserve that consists of all the guys who have been discharged from active service and are still under the age of 55 .

We don't get paid for it --or do any musters but you had better believe it!!
    You get a letter at age 55 to say your name is removed from the list!!

17. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

That's the RFR or Fleet Reserve, rather than the RNR - however, soon I think given the ever shrinking navy, the F will stand for Flotilla rather than Fleet - a few years later, the F will be replaced by S, standing for Squadron, then it'll become the RDR where the D stands for Division before reverting to the RSR or Royal Sub-Division Reserve.... ah bugger, we stopped teaching Sub-Divs a few years ago.... :lol:

18. Speaking personally, I stand for drinking tea and sloping shoulders.