just to make sure!?

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by whowantsawet?, Feb 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I wanted to get my brother an engraved St Christopher before he goes away later in the year. Is the St Christopher ( apart from religious beliefs) neutral or is it assigned to something in the forces that wouldn't be appropriate to give a marine?

any help would be appreciated!
  2. Why would it not be appropriate to give a Royal Marine a St Christopher? You go ahead as I am sure he will appreciate it.
  3. thank you, just wanted to check it wasnt a symbol with a connection to the army or something! Our grandad managed to get him a hip flask with a royal engineers symbol a couple years ago , after he'd been told in the shop it was for marines.... just didnt want to make a similar mistake.
  4. May be wrong but patron saint of seafarers/travelers ?.
  5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

The patron saint of sailors is actually St Nicholas no less. Yes, the same one that wears the funky red outfit. He is also the patron saint of children and thieves, strangely enough. Or at least so I was once told by a naval orifice, so it must be true.
  6. Now does wearing a St Christopher still protect the traveller?
    I believe one of the Popes demoted him some years ago.
    Rome challenged on St Christopher demotion
  7. Wouldn't worry too much slim, it's only a fairy story.
  8. Interesting couple of lines in that article... "It said that the Vatican had been troubled by the fact that many stories of his life may have been merely "legendary" and his beatification was the result of a number of different "legends" being cobbled together."....they should apply that to the whole bible IMHO!!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. St Christopher is the Saint of Travellers and some say children :)