Just passed my aptitude test

ajmarshall

Midshipman
Good Afternoon,

I've just returned from the AFCO having passed my aptitude test. I thought it best to write a few tips from my experience to benefit others.

1) The test was harder than the booklet distributed by the AFCO. I highly recommend purchasing some aptitude test practice papers from WH Smith etc.
2) Dress well, most of the other candidates came in wearing jeans and looking generally scruffy.
3) Arrive about 15mins before the allocated time, read the Navy News or other literature whilst waiting.
4) Definately practice against the clock. I managed to complete all my questions within the set time, but only just.
5) Relax, ask all the necessary questions before the test. They will go through it but don't be afraid to ask.
6) Read the question properly. One chap mentioned to me after the test that he thought he got 5 questions wrong for misinterpretting the question.

Hope this helps those at a similar stage to myself.
I'll try to write something similar once i've sat my interview.

Topaz

Lantern Swinger
Good advice =]
I compelty agree on the dress thing
People who wore jeans when I took mine looked like it was just a breif decision to take join haha

Pinstripe trousers and green shirts are the way forward ladies! =]

I just aced my aptitude test as well!

Word of warning - the maths in the test is harder than the practise book. I actually really enjoyed it though...... :thumright:

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
Well done ajmarshall. Good result and nice of you to post your top tips from your experience for others to work off.

Good luck with the interview. It's worth it when you get in.

SF

Well done. I thought the hardest thing about the test was being up against the clock too. Maths isn't my best subject and I found it was taking me far too long just to work out one answer. You don't get long for each answer.

Good advice!

snapdragon said:
Well done. I thought the hardest thing about the test was being up against the clock too. Maths isn't my best subject and I found it was taking me far too long just to work out one answer. You don't get long for each answer.

Good advice!

That is very true, I only managed to complete just over half of the maths ones and when they announced there was 30 seconds left I just had to guess the last 5 or so questions.