Just joining

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by tac_1985, Sep 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys I'm just starting to join as Marine Engineer, any advice?

Also surface or sub? Cant decide which is the better option lol

Any info or advice would be great :)

2. you get paid more for subs

3. How far are you through your recruitment process?

What is your motivation for joining the navy? If it's to travel and see far flung places then general service is the way to go. If you just want to earn loads of money, not wash, live inside a cigar tube and not see sunlight for months on end go sludgmariner.

4. Advice
    1. Always engage brain before mouth
    2. If you do not understand something, then do not be afraid to ask for it to be explained again.
    3. Listen to the Leadng hands, they have done it all before.
    4. Any problems see your Divisional CPO or Divisional Occifer, many problems new entries think are insurmountable are usually easily sorted.
    5.Give 100% but most of all enjoy yourself. :p

5. As said many times before, go skimmer first then transfer to boats later if you feel the need to join the elite :wink:

6. The waiting time for submarines can be shorter. I applied to be a medical assistant submariner in January and I start my basic training at the beginning of October (however, I didn't finish university until June so I might have started my training even more quickly if I'd been working in a job I was able to quit quickly)

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Fully agree. If you're not sure join General Service then make an informed decision after joining. It doesn't work the other way around.

8. Advice No 6
    Always listen th the Ninja :p

9. Strange how those who join boats are not allowed to surface afterwards! :D

10. Cheers, I didnt realise you could transfer later, they make it out in the careers office that you cant change once your in.

Thanks for the advice :)