Just joining . .

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ollie123, Oct 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have an interview with an ACLO and I was wondering what the 'commission' is for a rating.

What is the contract? For example, is it 4 years after basic training then you sign up for another 12 etc . . .
  2. ASK!!!!! the ACLO it's what he is paid for to answer your questions fully clearly and corectly.

Or Go to the RN web site

Its quite easy you open the hole in your face and speak in word

:rambo: :rambo:
  3. Thanks for your useful input Pinch.
  4. Stand fast that man, Uncle Ninja will be here later...he'll give you the info you require I expect
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hello Ollie,

All Royal Navy/ Royal Marines Ratings and Other Ranks join on a Full Career, which is for 18 years or to age 40, whichever is later. There may be opportunities to extend service beyond the Full Career, depending on the needs of the Service and your wishes. If you want to leave the Royal Navy, you can submit 12 months’ notice two and a half years after the end of your initial professional training. The exact length of this training period depends on the particular job you do and the level of training it requires.

Officers join on an initial commission of 12 years, but you are able to leave either during training or when training is completed. A return of service of between three and five years is required dependant on branch.

Source: Royal Navy FAQ's.

Hope that helps.
  6. Ahh The still small voice of calm.. Thank Nija :thumright: :thumright: