Just in the nick of time...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Stefan_grainger, May 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just had some mail forwarded to me today from my old address and enclosed was my letter for my RPC course dated 29th April, luckily the dead line for returning the completed documents either by post or hand is 15th May! If this hadn’t of come today I would have missed out!

Going to dash to the AFCO in Manchester first thing to hand them in, I’m not sure why it went to my old address though as I did inform them when I had my interview.

Anyway enough rambling on, all I wanted to know is will the swimming test be done in overalls? And does it matter if you pass or fail? It does state in my letter that the PJFT run will be reported back to the AFCO but doesn’t matter if you pass or fail.

Is this same for swimming?
  2. Oh dear, the answer to your questions must surely be Yes, of course it matters, if only to yourself.

Take me now Lord, my work is done. :w00t:
  3. Well yes, of course it matters to me. It was mearly to see if i should start attending my local baths to pratice more because if it does go against something i will put more effort in with my training

But thanks anyway
  4. the swimming test is done in overalls, though it's done AFTER you've joined and signed on, so you've got bags of time to practice.

also yes, it's compulsory that you pass it, if you fail it first time you'll be in the pool twice a week in the evenings til you pass.
  5. Thank you babyjesus
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Not sure where you got the idea that failing the PJFT doesn't matter.
    Fitness First are delighted if you fail a couple as they can charge for more re-tests or even offer to train you at your expense. Bargain.

It's used as a gauge of motivation. If you fail it 3 times you are rejected.
  7. plus each time you fail it you have to wait 2 months in between re-taking it ! well i did anyway
  8. I have passed my PJFT, Maybe i worded it wrong, there will be another run like the PJFT only on a track which is reported back to the AFCO if you pass or fail
  9. they do that at the rnac but i think they only report back if you havent yet passed the pjft,
  10. Stefan, not sure what you mean by the RPC are you meaning the RNAC?
    In regards to the PJFT run, if you have already passed it then you have got nothing to worry about. However I would certainly aim to beat or match the time you got, not just for any potential AFCO feedback but for you to set a goal to improve and achieve it for yourself.

The swim test is a mock of the one you will have to pass at HMS Raleigh. Again I wouldnt worry about this. As long as you are an average strength swimmer you will be fine. All you are expected to do is don a pair of blue overalls, probably about 5 of you at a time will jump in the pool at the deep end and tread water for 2 mins. This time will pass well before you know it and you will hear a whistle to start your swim down to the shallow end and back up. You will then have to get out of the pool unaided. Unless you have very poor upper body strength you will find this is very easy.
    After that you will get to have a quick free swim before being given 10 mins to get showered and changed back into uniform and to fall in your squad outside the gym.

During the week you will do some circuit training at the RNAC and at HMNB Clyde. Do your best at the RNAC as these do get fed back to the AFCO. Apparently this is for them to build up a picture of your fitness before you start at Raleigh. You will also have to sit a literacy and numeracy test at the end of the week. This has been recently introduced and is designed so they can asses what your training needs will be at Raleigh.

I hope this helps, ^~ If you have any other RNAC questions I will be more than happy to answer what I can. I also hope you was on about the RNAC otherwise I have been typing away at this essay unnecessarily. :confused:
  11. i think they've moved the RNAC to collingwood now havent they ?
  12. Not as far as I am aware. The main Royal Naval Acquaint Centre is at HMS Caledonia, Rosyth, Fife, Scotland. Apparently there is a recently established southern RNAC. Which may well be at HMS Collingwood, although I was led to believe this was based at portsmouth.
  13. i dont know for sure but i know someone who has theirs at c-wood in july.

Mine was also in HMS Caledonia last april. it was a good experience actually :afro:
  14. You will also have to sit a literacy and numeracy test at the end of the week. This has been recently introduced and is designed so they can assess what your training needs will be at Raleigh.

Thank god for that, all newbies please take note, trust me, it is all in your favour, unless you want to end up in the Army. :w00t:
  15. And you wouldnt want that to happen would you :muhaha:
  16. Question answered. Above is a qoute from Ninja_Stoker in a previous thread http://www.navy-net.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=208521.html
  17. Thanks Dutch :thumright:

the buggers made me spend 9 1/2 hrs going from guzz to scotland , then change the course to include a more southerly one after i had already done it ! conspiracies i tell you they're out to get me lol

cheers for clearing that one up though
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

There are two RNAC centres now online. One in Caledonia, t'other in Collingwood.

Edited to add: whoops as mentioned above! :thumright:
  19. i remember when i had mine some people had the option of flying rather than rail travel, i suppose it saves on warrants for flight tickets too
  20. I agree with it being a long trip upto Caledonia. However I met up with a few people along the way and the time soon passed. This was the same on the way back. Only this time we were full of more enthusiasm and buzzing and chatting from the weeks activities, that by the time we had drank a few well deserved Stellas I was soon back at my home station.

I thoroughly enjoyed my RNAC course and would recommend it to anyone. :thumright: