Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just failed my psychometric test :(

Joe90 said:
The army BARB test?! lol A 10 year old kid wouldn't have any problems passing that. The BARB test has no time limit. It's the easiest of the armed forces written tests.

Personally, I think the Royal Navy is the hardest to pass.

Your wrong. The BARB test does have time on each section.

Thanks for all your replies guys. Really appreciate the info/advice. I'm particularly grateful to soleil. You really put a lot of time and effort into your post mate and it really is helpful advice.

Well, kinda got over the initial shock of failing at least. I spoke with my local AFCO this afternoon just to seek clarification about where I stand. Tbh, when I was told I had failed the other day I got quite emotional and didn't take everything the guy said in.

The problem I have with maths is I think I suffer from what is known as Maths anxiety. I don't think I suffer from Dyscalculia though, which is sort of numbers Dyslexia, but I do sometimes struggle with what is essentially basic stuff. For example, stuff like identifying the next number in a number sequence etc can just be really tough for me.

What really frustrates me now is finding out I actually only needed to get 10 out of the 30 questions right to pass. I only got to Q.16 and had obviously got most of them wrong! I am certain I almost got 10 though because some questions that came up I simply knew. Next time I take the test I am going to make sure I attempt all 30 questions, even if that means quickly guessing 10 of them 30 secs before the end! I really can't imagine not getting above 10 that way. Part of it is def keeping an eye on those 16 mins...

I have just ordered that armed forces psychometric test book from amazon and I think that will help me. I only need it for the maths bit as I was fine in all the other sections. I am also going to do some form of night course for basic maths, learn my times tables verbatim, and probably a few other things. I am kind of okay about it now as I am confident the AFCO will prob let me re-sit in 6 months and in that time I can really prepare. I've also possibly got a temp job lined up.

With regards to the Army, I have considered it actually but I am 90% a navy candidate if you know what I mean. The army nowadays isn't particularly appealing due to Afghanistan. I have considered the RAF a little more though and possibly might contact them soon. Does anyone know much about the AST? It looked a little easier than the Navy test imo from what I could tell from the practice one on the RAF site. The maths section is more about studying graphs and you get 4mins to do 12 maths questions. They might have a different policy about what is required to pass the thing on a whole.

As I say though, it's the Navy I really want to get in and I'm going to make sure I do it right next time. I am really fit atm too lol so need to maintain that as well or I'll just end up failing the fitness test in 6 months if I make it past the RT!

daffy1

War Hero
Dont matter what trade you are mate you are going to the sandy place, i have met a few submariners out there doing driving jobs, even met a couple thats been out on patrol with the lads.
As for the RT test sorry about the bad news, your best bet is to get your maths sorted and resit it. The way i look at it is to do the questions that you know so you dont waste the time working out the ones you dont know. Once you have done that just guess the rest. You either know it/ know how to work it out or you dont. After all answering a question is better than not answering a question.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
tickymondo said:
What really frustrates me now is finding out I actually only needed to get 10 out of the 30 questions right to pass. I only got to Q.16 and had obviously got most of them wrong! I am certain I almost got 10 though because some questions that came up I simply knew. Next time I take the test I am going to make sure I attempt all 30 questions, even if that means quickly guessing 10 of them 30 secs before the end! I really can't imagine not getting above 10 that way. Part of it is def keeping an eye on those 16 mins...

Sounds like "exam technique" could help too - don't just start at question 1 and then progress in sequence; the first thing you should do in any test is read through ALL of the questions; identify those that you know the answer to and answer these first; then identify those that you stand the best chance of answering and answer these next; finally, if there's time still left, start answering the most challenging questions.

daffy1 said:
Dont matter what trade you are mate you are going to the sandy place, i have met a few submariners out there doing driving jobs, even met a couple thats been out on patrol with the lads.

Very interesting. I didn't realise navy personnel where over there in any great numbers and especially surprising to hear about submariners. I guess it's not that surprising though. Apparently in WW1 more sailors were killed in the trenches than at sea, largely down to the RN reserves not having enough ships to serve on.

FlagWagger, good point. Technique will def help me when the time comes again. I will remember that tip.

SRT1

Badgeman
Unless the exam book has a load of questions, be frugal with it. You want to avoid repeating questions because you could remember them without realising it. You could consider asking someone to write similar questions with different answers for you so that you have more to practise on.

Joe90

Badgeman
Chicogiz said:
Joe90 said:
The army BARB test?! lol A 10 year old kid wouldn't have any problems passing that. The BARB test has no time limit. It's the easiest of the armed forces written tests.

That's not what it says in the book I have at home called "Succeed At Psychometric Testing- Practice Tests for the Armed Forces".

On page 19 it says "unlike the other two services, the tests for the army are not timed".

tickymondo said:
With regards to the Army, I have considered it actually but I am 90% a navy candidate if you know what I mean. The army nowadays isn't particularly appealing due to Afghanistan.

Just a question, why does the idea of conflict put you off joining an ARMED FORCE?

All three services are in Afghanistan, and will be for some time to come.

Rolotp

Lantern Swinger
Joe90 said:
"Succeed At Psychometric Testing- Practice Tests for the Armed Forces". quote]

I used this book to help me pass mine and I am Shite at maths, Its only about £6 on Amazon. Might be worth getting yourself a copy.
Good luck for your retake :)

Joe90 said:
Chicogiz said:
Joe90 said:

That's not what it says in the book I have at home called "Succeed At Psychometric Testing- Practice Tests for the Armed Forces".

On page 19 it says "unlike the other two services, the tests for the army are not timed".

Well its timed, trust me.

malspal

Lantern Swinger
Can anyone explain the psychometric test to me?
When I joined if you could write your name and add up your pay you were in. A darkened room with three little red green and white lights to identify, turn your back and hear whispered words and a standard eye test. MO listened to your chest, asked you cough while playing with your testicles, that was the best bit :lol:

captainobvious

Lantern Swinger
Very basic maths and English test followed by some very basic reasoning tasks. If you know your times tables and can form a basic sentence you're pretty much set.

Sadly the education system has broken down so severely that many people are incapable of even basic reading comprehension and some people manage to fail to achieve even the 40/120 minimum required for entry.

slim

War Hero
Like many on here I believe that the Education System has been massaged to such an extent that O levels standards have dropped to 11 plus standard.
Now as we have been reminded by the recruiters the standard tests are basically unchanged since the sixties (or seventies)
I wonder if there are any figures for percentage failures of entry examinations since 1960 till present day?

captainobvious said:
Sadly the education system has broken down so severely that many people are incapable of even basic reading comprehension and some people manage to fail to achieve even the 40/120 minimum required for entry.

I think you need to get at least 10 out of 30 in the English and Maths sections or you fail regardless. If it was simply a case of getting 40/120 I would have smashed it. I def got at least 90. Really, it was just a timing issue for me in the maths bit. I just wish they had a policy where you could re-take only once but whenever you felt ready as opposed to having to wait 6-12 months. I guess the Navy aren't desperate for recruits right now.

Montigny_La_Palisse, to answer your question it doesn't put me off at all. What I meant is that when you're in the Army you are more likely to be in direct combat situations. I'm not completely against even that prospect, it's just I think the Navy is a nice balance. Also, I keep getting told by people that there is simply just alot more BS going on in the Army. Not quite painting coal white stuff anymore but that sort of thing lol.

lol malspal! Sounds like the good old days to me. I bet in the days of the Grand Fleet they didn't even mind about the name writing!

malspal

Lantern Swinger
Nothing wrong with a cross and a thumb print mate :wink:
I remember at Daedalus, I was Chief Examiner at the time, There were four of us on the exam staff and to make it fair, we would mark a question each rather than a paper each. All of us were having trouble with one lads paper couldn't make head nor tale of it so we put it to one side.
On closer examination we realised he came from Wales and wrote with a Welsh accent! Who remembers phonetic teaching? :lol:
We took him off course and sent him to the schoolies, passed in flying colours when he was writing English :wink:

soleil said:
tickyM

What's the latest on finding a Maths course?

I'm going to call a few numbers on monday. The AFCO gave me a list of local colleges etc and contacts to get in touch with so I don't think it will be a problem. I did look at that learning direct site but I think a course with a tutor will be best. I've also ordered off amazon that book about passing psychometric tests for the armed services. Apparently that has helped a lot of people out.

soleil

War Hero
That's good, tickyM.

I'm only urging you to enquire now because term is just starting and you might be able to squeeze into a class which starts this week or has just started in the last few weeks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J I failed my psychometric test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS Commission finds trustees failed to protect charity from founder who misused funds MoD News 0
A Excess Weight - COVID challenges and a failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 0
W Failed Medical- Eczema Joining the Royal Navy 5
D Failed at Selection Interview - Looking for advice going forwards Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
B Failed Vetting Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: DJI M600 Pro, UAS failed to follow controller inputs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inquiry finds mismanagement at charity that funded failed film project MoD News 0
S failed medical paper review Joining the Royal Navy 4
A Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS Inspection Report Published: A reinspection into failed right of abode applications and referral for consideration for enforcement action MoD News 0
S Failed AIB - 12 months wait to retry Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
C Failed recruitment eye test Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Disqualified restaurateurs failed to pay £4 million in taxes MoD News 0
A Failed AIB - Considering Rating route Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R Failed eye test for rn RFA 6
B failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Trustees failed to protect charity from abuse for terrorist purposes, regulator finds MoD News 0
Kiwi33 Re Join question. Failed Diver trying something different. Joining the Royal Navy 2
S Failed the vetting but could not get in touch with my AFCO. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
Q Failed eye test - what to do next? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Press release: Inquiry into Save the Needy Worldwide finds trustees failed to protect charity funds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bosses banned for removing £700k from failed caravan company MoD News 0
TheMau5e Failed AIB entry for warfare Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Court throws book at printers who failed to complete contracts MoD News 0
B Failed first PJFT Joining the Royal Navy 18
MoD_RSS Press release: Jail for travel agent who failed to explain missing thousands MoD News 0
R Failed medical, reapplying or possible redo-medical? Joining the Royal Navy 2
M Failed medical Joining the Royal Navy 8
TheMau5e Failed FATs... Can i still take AIB? The Fleet Air Arm 17
F Failed medical and Appeal. Joining the Royal Navy 7
G Failed for medical reasons - appeal? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
sj25105815 Failed medical - Appeal outline help please. Joining the Royal Navy 4
M Failed Officer Selection. Any Advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
C Failed Medical Joining the Royal Navy 1
J Failed CDT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
O failed medical review Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 26
S Failed AIB to Rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
D Failed medical requiring advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
M Failed driving test's! The Quarterdeck 0
L Failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
J failed the medical standard for entry due to Gilbert's syndrome? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
W Failed my medical - TMU Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
M Failed RN Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
anchor_face_⚓️ Sea pay for a failed civvy UPO 4
M Failed RM medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
R Failed Royal Navy Eye Test | CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S Appealing failed medical (eyesight) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
N Failed my RT but still got enough points for WE CIS Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
M Joining different force after failed medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1