Just completed medical - Waiting on fitness test - Improving Fitness

Solent19

Midshipman
Hi All,

I completed my Diver medical yesterday and am now waiting for my fitness test date

Any tips on ways to get my time down on 1.5mile. I last ran it in 10:48 still above that 10:30 mark needed

Cheers

CG

J

JFOTRAVELS

Just keep running! I would make sure you're practising on treadmills as well as roads and I found in the end the best way to get my timing down was to perfect breathing techniques. It's finding the balance of not thinking about it too much but also making sure it's working for you! There are plenty of tips on this site, but it's more or less practice makes perfect and getting to know your body and it's capabilities!

Good luck :)

Solent19

Midshipman
Taa, I feel like I could run for ages but I get so damn bored, worst thing, need something to take my mind of the whole scenario.

CG

J

JFOTRAVELS

Honestly, when you're there doing the test the time just goes. Adrenalin kicks in etc... I was in and out. I found repeating in your head 'it's like 10mins of your life' also helped :D

tommo

War Hero
Run lots, build mileage up and the pace will increase as you get fitter. Throw in intervals/threshold/fartlek/hill training sessions.

Mostly when it comes to it just go for it, it's 10 mins and 30 secs of hard work minimum.

Keep smashing them out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solent19

Midshipman
I will break through this bordem barrier!, how long did you wait after your med before your fitness came through?

Scorpio1986

Badgeman
Do some fartlek sessions, these massively help with the fitness tests, also hillreps and the more you do off a treadmill the better,

KennerZ94

Midshipman
Yeah, just wondering what usual waiting times are really...
i passed my medical the Saturday (24th) just gone, this morning Thursday 29th i received the paper work for my fitness, so i just had to call the fitness center where i will be doing my fitness test and booked in for my test. i booked in for November 17th but i could have booked it for sooner, however i decided to give myself an extra couple weeks to just smash out some more fitness before the test.

after receiving your letter saying you have passed your medical and need to book a physical test, You HAVE to book and take the test within 28 days.

Solent19

Midshipman
Did a 10:30 run yesterday - Started slow 10kph for first 2mins then went up to 11kph for another two minutes then up 1kph every minute, I hit 17kph and managed to run 2.24km in 10:30, feel like if i started at a faster pace I'd have no trouble, slowly but surely getting there

KennerZ94

Midshipman
good effort mate.
i did a timed 2.4k on Monday and i got 11:10 so 1 second too slow :(.
i have my fitness in 2 weeks.

I recently completed the fitness test on Tuesday in 10:33!! My PB by 24 seconds which I was quite chuffed with as I could only manage 13:04 three weeks ago.

The best way I found to complete the test was to run the first 500m-600m at 15kph and then run at 13kph until the last 400m and just crank it up. I mean 13kph solid from the start should get you just in at 11:05 (according to the fitness instructor who did my test). Just ask them to motivate you when you do the test which should give the extra couple of seconds you need. I still think I can run it in sub 10 minutes with a little bit more effort and more training!!

KennerZ94

Midshipman
I recently completed the fitness test on Tuesday in 10:33!! My PB by 24 seconds which I was quite chuffed with as I could only manage 13:04 three weeks ago.

The best way I found to complete the test was to run the first 500m-600m at 15kph and then run at 13kph until the last 400m and just crank it up. I mean 13kph solid from the start should get you just in at 11:05 (according to the fitness instructor who did my test). Just ask them to motivate you when you do the test which should give the extra couple of seconds you need. I still think I can run it in sub 10 minutes with a little bit more effort and more training!!
well done mate, i passed mine today.

what are you joining as ?

Solent19

Midshipman
Bike accident on the wya home from work the other day, couple cracked ribs, meant to have PJFT tomrrow, aboslutely gutted, cannot run if my life depended on it!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Britain’s biggest network of diagnostic labs are completed in 5 weeks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 800 miles of roadworks completed or lifted in time for Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Latest phase of work on major Norfolk chalk stream completed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Trio of buildings completed at Worthy Down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Clean up work completed in Salisbury as area continues recovery MoD News 0
T PRNC Completed - anyone have any questions? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 59
S Just completed rfa application forms whats next ??? RFA 2
TechFin When are Flying Aptitude Tests usually completed? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
TechFin When are Flying Aptitude Tests Usually Completed? The Fleet Air Arm 4
MoD_RSS News story: RAF Valley’s future secure for next 25 years as restoration work is completed MoD News 0
G Pay when completed training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
W Sc clearance - application status completed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
MoD_RSS News story: Versatile Vikings' £37 million upgrade completed MoD News 0
moodle SC Completed RFA 33
G Your application's status is: Completed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Completed SMQ Dry Awaiting draft. Submariners 9
MoD_RSS News story: £1.2 billion construction phase of military accommodation project completed MoD News 1
MoD_RSS News story: More beds completed for carrier crew MoD News 0
Z Phase 1 completed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
MoD_RSS News story: New officers' rooms completed in £10 million project MoD News 2
S Security clearance completed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
P Completed application process Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
X.R.D Race completed. Thanks.......... Charity 4
soleil Andover Advertiser: "£17.5m HMS Edinburgh Refit Completed" The Fleet 2
C NEW TO THIS SITE! Application completed March 2010 Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
soleil First Propeller & Gas Turbine Completed for QE Class Carrier The Fleet 1
S HMS Queen Elizabeth Bow Section Completed at Appledore Current Affairs 11
Murph Just completed the RNAC at HMS Caledonia. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
I City & guilds 2391 - any Marine Engineers completed this? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 5
BillyNoMates Bomber "Weekender" D.I.Y. project finally completed! Submariners 15
P Completed week two of training at raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
Good_CO Site Maintenance Imminent - roughly 0830 (completed) Site Issues 7
N All Arms Commando Course 0306 - Completed The Corps 19
MoD_RSS Statement from the UK Chief Medical Officers on an update to coronavirus symptoms: 18 March 2020 MoD News 0
C Application referred to senior medical officer. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Puma helicopter performs first island medical evacuation MoD News 0
L trying to get my medical Joining the Royal Navy 9
C Diver Medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS Border Force prioritising checks on medical equipment MoD News 0
J Medical- psycathric (sorry for spelling!!) Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS UK medicines and medical devices regulator investigating 14 cases of fake or unlicensed COVID-19 medical products MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chancellor waives duties and VAT on vital medical imports MoD News 0
Avocadolol Capita and medical Joining the Royal Navy 9
MoD_RSS Coronavirus: global crackdown sees a rise in unlicenced medical products related to COVID-19 MoD News 0
B How is the medical triage done Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Suspension of War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Medical Examinations and Assessments MoD News 0
ChewieTheWAFU Medical Discharge Finance & Pensions 1
P Possible medical issue Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I Medical records? Joining the Royal Navy 29
S failed medical paper review Joining the Royal Navy 2